Tenant in denial?

I have been trying to vacate a tenant which seems like forever.
First pm should never have put that tenant in that house anyway.
Second pm didn't bother to collect any rent for 2mths. Been on TV that one.
Third is marvellous and is doing everything by the book.
Said tenant just decided not to pay any rent and there is a thing anyone can do about it.
Ok, pm went to court and got court order to remove tenant.
Today is D day. PM arrived with locksmith in tow and police and tenant is sitting in the house with absolutely nothing packed.
Is this tenant in denial or what?
Police felt sorry for tenant and asked could PM grant an extra 4 hrs to get stuff out. PM has granted 2hrs and the locksmith has changed all locks.
We shall wait and see what happens next. Hopefully my place won't be on TV as the heartless landlord throwing tenants out on the street.
I bet the tenant fails to mention the nearly 3mths rent they owe or the fact that they have not had a rent increase in 2 whole years!
*End of rant. I feel much better now. Thanks guys. :D*

I have been trying to vacate a tenant which seems like forever.
First pm should never have put that tenant in that house anyway.
Second pm didn't bother to collect any rent for 2mths. Been on TV that one.
Third is marvellous and is doing everything by the book.
Said tenant just decided not to pay any rent and there is a thing anyone can do about it.
Ok, pm went to court and got court order to remove tenant.
Today is D day. PM arrived with locksmith in tow and police and tenant is sitting in the house with absolutely nothing packed.
Is this tenant in denial or what?
Police felt sorry for tenant and asked could PM grant an extra 4 hrs to get stuff out. PM has granted 2hrs and the locksmith has changed all locks.
We shall wait and see what happens next. Hopefully my place won't be on TV as the heartless landlord throwing tenants out on the street.
I bet the tenant fails to mention the nearly 3mths rent they owe or the fact that they have not had a rent increase in 2 whole years!
*End of rant. I feel much better now. Thanks guys. :D*
I soooooooo hear ya sister!!!! Been there, and had the burnt down property to prove it!!!! :(

No seriously, I know how you feel Brenda. I had a similar situation, only a tad worse, in that the tenant refused to budge, and when Police did finally manage to get them out, they came back in the early hours of the morning and torched my property!!!

Hopefully, your "said tenant" won't be that spiteful!!!

Just considering the benefits of that. Lets see, all the tenants rubbish is gone, the house is gone (well almost), and I will have a vacant block a stones throw from Hungry Jacks. Is there a down side, Monopoly?

We had one of those too. They ended up with half the street to witness the "heartless landlords" throwing them out with "only 24 hrs notice" dispite the fact that they had numerous warnings, tribunal hearings etc.

When they left we were left with most of their junk. What they wanted to keep was sent to the neighbours homes. The rest was scattered both inside & outside of the house including furniture. The sheriff witnessed her tell us that we could dispose of the rest, so we did.

Karma came back & bit them in the bum, because when they were awarded emergency housing, some 6 weeks later, the neighbour that had most of her junk had herself moved & taken all her stuff too. No forwarding address either. She rang my PM in tears because she now had no furniture.

Just considering the benefits of that. Is there a down side, Monopoly?

Yeah, I have contemplated this too. If they want to trash a place, next time could they please do a good job of it. That way I get a nice new place, which should mean better rent return & better tenants.

Just considering the benefits of that. Lets see, all the tenants rubbish is gone, the house is gone (well almost), and I will have a vacant block a stones throw from Hungry Jacks. Is there a down side, Monopoly?
True, when you put it like that, I guess it's really a chance to take the lemons you've had dished up to you....

And make lemonade!!! :D

And I did too!! I built a new house. :)

Hi Monoply.

Did the police actually get them for burning down the place, or was there no proof?

They must be stupid to think they can do that and not have the police all over them. I mean, who else would be the first suspect.

What was the outcome?

I know how you feel.
At the moment my tenants have been evicted by the PM, bailiff and police, and the locks changed. But they have still been there for the last two nights, so the neighbour says. Hopefully on Fri, when all their gear is gone,that is the end of it. Their bond money should just cover the hole in the door, dirty carpets and locksmith. I have LL ins, but it is not worth if for the excess of $350 - as said a burn down would be worth the excess.
This is my first IP, and I am learning that it is part of doing business so I have to get over it.
Cheers

Hi Monoply.

Did the police actually get them for burning down the place, or was there no proof?

They must be stupid to think they can do that and not have the police all over them. I mean, who else would be the first suspect.

What was the outcome?

Wylie, I have had extensive damage to IPs and reported it to police.....standard response

he "did you see them do it"
me "no officer"
he "then there's nothing we can do about it....claim it on insurance"

Although IMHO the response of the police would vary based on the socioeconomic demographic of the neighbourhood...

Winstonwolfe,

Bloody amazing ! Surley arson would be considered differently (with the possible threat of affecting more than just the 1 property (eg if someone grafffitis a house, it;s just that house, but a fire can spread....)

I had my car broken into 1 time, it was undrivable (uninsured bomb of a car then), I noticed in the morning before going to work... broken window, steering wheel stolen, crap stereo stolen, gear knob stolen whatever.. So I ring the cops & got TOLD OFF for not rinigng 1st thing in the morning ! I apologised but asked what';sthe differerence, what if I had not been home that morning and only jsut noticed... she went on about pple touching it & losing evidence and blah blah blah (full on lecture).. they sent police around, they had one look (from a few meters) and said there's not much evidence you can normally get, filled in a form & left...

Winstonwolfe,

Bloody amazing ! Surley arson would be considered differently (with the possible threat of affecting more than just the 1 property (eg if someone grafffitis a house, it;s just that house, but a fire can spread.......

true, the police take fires a lot more seriously.
I once had a tenant who had a bit of a psychotic episode, thought the devil was after him.....he ended up punching out two doors and two walls....taking all his worldly possessions down the back yard of the block of flats, and setting them alight...I get a call around 3pm on a Sunday arvo from one of the other tenants frightened of all the noise he is making (don't ask me why they call the landlord rather than the police) during my constitutional sleep.........so I go down there unaware he has lit a bonfire......

decided to just talk him through it.....calmed him down....helped him put the rest of his crap in his car, and waved him goodbye.....sans 2 weeks of rent and the damage to the unit.....yeah I could have called the police....but this guy wouldn't have been able to make restitution anytime soon...and I think he'll just end up with a few days in a psych ward before being let loose again.....the other tenants praised me for difusing the situation.....I felt sorry for the guy.....but there's always gonna be 4,000,000,000 more people to feel sorry for than one has the energy to feel sorry for........

The tenant we had evicted by order of the Sherriff in Nov is finally coming to a close.She left with a bag of belongings. It was up to us to store her belongings.We hired a moving truck and moved furniture etc and stored it in a shed at our residence.
Of course tenant wants all her belongings back. we said not until she pays for damages, moving and storage etc.
Tenancy Officer says we can only charge her the storage fees, the rest are to collected thru the tenancy board order.(she is social assisstance, can't be forced to pay...no income)
We happen to be at the courthouse on a different matter. The Sheriff sees Rob and asks how things are going with that tenant.He has something for us he thinks may be interesting.He gives us a copy of Warehousemen's Lien Act (for Nova Scotia). We had another hearing later that day for THIS tenant still wanting her stuff back and a Social Services case worker by her side. Rob said we are entitled to the costs of the moving truck, labourers to carry the furniture, gas etc and provided the tenancy Officer a copy of this Act.All phone calls to us on the behalf of this tenant have ceased.

Social Services have agreed to pay those costs finally.

Hi Monoply.

What was the outcome?
Yes Wylie, they did get caught, charged and subsequently jailed for arson. It was horrid facing them in court; I was very young, very pregnant (due any day) and very emotional; breaking down when I entered the courtroom because of being spat and shouted obscenities at. :( I was so relieved when it was over and justice had been served!!!

That was a long time ago....

At the time it made me think twice whether I ever wanted to rent again, but of course, I did. And lucky thing I did too, otherwise I'd still would be working for a living!!!

No seriously, I know how you feel Brenda. I had a similar situation, only a tad worse, in that the tenant refused to budge, and when Police did finally manage to get them out, they came back in the early hours of the morning and torched my property!!!

They're doing you a favour; Landlord's Insurance will cover "malicious damage".

New building; lots of lovely depreciation.

They're doing you a favour; Landlord's Insurance will cover "malicious damage".

New building; lots of lovely depreciation.
Sadly, no it doesn't (or at least, back then, it didn't). :(

That afternoon, both the police and myself were called to the property 3 times:

1. To evict the tenants (from hell)
2. To invetigate neighbours reports of suspicious "goings on" which turned out to be vandalism (yes....they came back to trash the place), and finally (like that wasn't enough) :rolleyes:
3. Accompanied by fire department because "as revenge" the evicted tenants set the place alight!!!

I phoned my insurance company, police vandalism report estimating damage at approx. $18,000 only to be told that "malicious damage" was capped at $9000. :eek:

So I guess, when the tenants came back to "finish the job" THEN they actually did me a favour!!! Because if they hadn't; I'd have had to foot the difference just to bring the property back to a liveable condition. As it turned out, fire insurance covered the total bill, and I got a new property out of it. Still, not sure it was the most enjoyable way of building, and I don't recommend it, but it all worked out in the end. :)

Well this morning my PM tells me the house is still standing and tenants are gone. I will be inspecting the property this afternoon. I have been warned to apply aeroguard on my legs as the house is riddled with fleas.
How the heck does a tenant with family live like that? :eek:

I will be inspecting the property this afternoon. I have been warned to apply aeroguard on my legs as the house is riddled with fleas.

I inspected one (to buy) that had so many fleas that my ankles were covered in them. They were still hopping off of me when I got out of the car after driving back home.:eek:

Back