Tenant in denial?

Brenda (and the rest for that matter)

Sorry to hear of your plight. That just 100% stinks

Maybe I missed it but wheres this property?

We have one house where the natives used to regularly take the fuses. The fusebox now has a padlock on it.:D

I have to ask.... what is the point of taking fuses??
Is it just for the P*ss you off factor??

Some people have nothing better to do with there time...

We were at Gracemere last weekend and needed to use the public loo.
There was literally S*it all over the room! I ended up going to the disabled one...

Then as we were leaving I saw 2 telephone booths with all the glass smashed.
These people are absolute idiots!

Sorry, just me venting at peoples stupidity!

Vandalism really peeves me, too.

It doesn't make it right, but at least if people are stealing you can speculate "well, perhaps they really needed it, or have to fund a drug habit".

But what benefit is there to anybody from vandalism? It's the ultimate disrespect, and punishments should be a lot more severe. If somebody has the kind of thinking that says that vandalism is acceptable, the prognosis for their future responsible citizenship is not good.

Ah, now I feel better - had my morning rant ;)

The house is in Booval , Ipswich.

We are at this stage doing a basic renovation and will be putting it on the market for sale. It is unfortunate as it is a beaut development block. It slopes the right way for drainage and there are already units a few doors down the road, but Les and I are not developers.

The house is a high set chamfer on brick, with an iron roof, and hardwood polished floors.
There is a gorgeous shady jacarandah tree in the back, near the side fence which shades the yard from the western sun.

The big rubbish skip is due to arrive today. Should take me only one day to fill it with the tenants old rubbish. :D

My PM has advised the tenant will be listed on tica.
The neighbour told me today the police know the address off by heart.
Why the previous 2 PM's kept this quiet to me I have no idea.

Brenda,

A friend has had similar dramas with Ipswich tenants and is looking for a good PM. Can you please let me know which PM you would recommend?

TIA,
Mick

what a horror story. Thanks for sharing Brenda! Was there anything good that came out of this? Hopefully you will have a lovely new place and have learnt some valuable lessons!

On a different note what happens if you were selling and the tenants trashed the place before they left but before settlement (say the contract was subject to vacant possession). Whose insurance pays for the repairs? the vendor or the purchaser?

If a contract is subject to vacant possession, then the contract is not unconditional until the tenant is moved out and the property is in the same condition as it was when the buyer signed the contract to buy.
Insurance claims and repairs would be the sellers responsibility, but only up to the standard at which the buyer signed on.

I have gotten my trusty kitchen expert Tom Armstrong of http://www.kitcheninabox.com.au to measure up and give me a quote on a new kitchen and do his magic thing of personally designing one.
It is going to be good I betcha.

I have a homehandyman calling in through the week to see what he can do with the bathroom. His specialty is bathroom renos.

Speedy glass is going to fix the broken window on Monday.

I have contracted a fencing expert to erect a new front fence with gates which have Not been run over by a tenant.

A plumber is calling on Fri to cap off the drain and taps to the kitchen as the new kitchen is going to be installed on the other side of the room.

Fleas started hatching but I was ready for them with a can of flea spray with eggs stoppers. No more fleas.

Les is currently washing walls and ceilings with pure bleach on a roller with an extention handle to take off the nicotine stains, then rinsing with sugarsoap and water.

I have started painting. I am not much of an expert but I hope it turns out ok.

The tenants mail is slowly filling the mailbox. I think it is all bills. Why am I not surprised?

Hi Brenda, like a ot I have followed this thread through & shared my disgust & dissapointment at the situation.

What does all this cost you vs. getting paid out by insurance ?

Do you have to put "return to sender" on all the mail ?!

I still can't believe what a state the house was in. You and Les must be exhausted. What was your Property Manager (both of them) doing? Too scared to carry out inspections I suppose.

Am thinking of purchasing a unit that has some dodgy looking tenants at present. Willl ask for vacant possession as they are on periodic lease, but am worried they'll trash the place before moving. The unit is a mess and the tenants are hampering open inspections so the price is way down. The place doesn't look anywhere as bad as your house was, but am wondering how much damage they can do during the 6 weeks settlement time. I don't want to have to go through what you've just been through!

I still can't believe what a state the house was in. You and Les must be exhausted. What was your Property Manager (both of them) doing? Too scared to carry out inspections I suppose.

Am thinking of purchasing a unit that has some dodgy looking tenants at present. Willl ask for vacant possession as they are on periodic lease, but am worried they'll trash the place before moving. The unit is a mess and the tenants are hampering open inspections so the price is way down. The place doesn't look anywhere as bad as your house was, but am wondering how much damage they can do during the 6 weeks settlement time. I don't want to have to go through what you've just been through!

See my thread on what tenants should be doing to help when the place is up for sale.

I'd go the vacnt possession route. Vacant possession is much quicker than other options.

As a decent tenant (and hoping to be a landholder soon) it's always been a source of frustration to me that I could be evicted within a month via vacant possession while other tenants who don't pay their rent and trash the place can't be moved out within eight weeks. If that.

Vacant possession for sure.

As for the tenants blocking access, doesn't the agent have the keys?

Willl ask for vacant possession as they are on periodic lease, but am worried they'll trash the place before moving.

that's not your problem. if they trash the place then it's up to the seller to rectify before settlement can go thru.

Fleas started hatching but I was ready for them with a can of flea spray with eggs stoppers. No more fleas.
Brenda,not sure if this will help but i have been through what you are doing a few times and with the Flea's I found that just normal Salt on the floors and the under part of the house will fix the problem, fleas don't like Salt not sure why but salt has always fixed the problem for us,maybe all the rain is making them come up into the house,next will be the floods....willair..

Revenge is sweet

The fleas seem to be confined to one corner in one bedroom and they must be hiding between the floor and the skirting board as I have sprayed them several times but they keep coming back.

Revenge is sweet, while painting the skirting board the fleas thought they'd be clever and jump. They fell in the paint and stuck to the painted wall. Just as well they are tiny little ones and not noticeable. Ha, not one shred of sympathy from me. :D

Doing.....you mean actually physically doing something.....but seriously.....what can they do ??

PM's are just like solicitors.....they can write reams and reams of letters threatening all sorts of actions. Unfortunately that tactic only works on people who have something to lose.....but they can't physically do anything.

In fact, the bailiff is the only chap legally who can do physically anything at all. But of course, he is at the very end of a long long line of costly (both $ and time) process that is as frustrating as all hell.

If the tenant tells the PM and/or lawyer to get stuffed, or as is normal, simply ignores or burns or rips up all written communication.....then nothing happens of course, certainly nothing in the short term. Tenants have rights, no matter how disgusting or how little they pay in rent. If you try and DO anything, you'll be the one in the sling.

Once again, this is where the letter writing stops and the action starts. People who do this type of thing aren't stupid. They normally gloat amongst one another about what their rights are and how you can't actually DO ANYTHING against them until the very bitter end. Of course, the damage and loss and stress has usually been enormous by that stage.

The only thing that DOES work is to talk the same language......and that ain't by writing poncy letters back and forth.

Asked someone recently what their weekend plans were... I got a tired sigh & told cleaning up the mess the tenants I just moved on left behind, paiting cleleaning,rubbish removal etc ... He said he was renting it privately, tenants went bad, behind in rent, promising & not delivering, place was not maintained etc... He sat them down & talked them out of the place, like a good manager might talk someone out of their job (best hing for all concerned type thing)... good salesperson, so I am sure he knew what he was doing, not comfortable to do it myself though.... Fact that he is 6"2' have anything to do with it ?!

Has anyone ever heard of the landlord giving back to the tenant?Slashing their tires? Putting a dead mouse in the mattress of their bed?
Damaging any of the tenants belongings?

Most I've ever heard of, was a landlord who took all the tenants belongings and threw them on the front lawn. Of course the Tribunal was not happy.

maybe the title of this thread should be 'Landlords in Denial'.... those of us in this game must accept that yes the place makes a loss on a weekly basis, we have little or no control over our asset and the tenants rights far exceed those that their measley rent should deserve - tenanst will pay as and when they see fit and leave the place in any state that they desire.

big picture guys... go for growth!

Back