Tenant not paying up. Off to Tribunal

after 2 years of chasing a former tenant I finally had a day in court for a means inquiry. Interesting experience and first thing I did after leaving that place was go have a shower. anyway I got orders for them to pay over about 3 months. the registrar thought I had done extremely well, reckons tenants are clocking up to $12k damage and can't even afford $50 a fortnight repayments. I wanted to seize and sell the defendants car but he reckons it cost about $1500 jus to get the bailiff to do it, so fingers crossed this goes ok

after 2 years of chasing a former tenant I finally had a day in court for a means inquiry.
I and I am sure others would love to hear more on this if you want to start a new thread as I think we all may be seeing a few more tenants skipping out over the next few years owing money.

I and I am sure others would love to hear more on this if you want to start a new thread as I think we all may be seeing a few more tenants skipping out over the next few years owing money.

not a bad idea, will do. getting a judgement is easy, it's what follows next that is important

Yes, I would love to hear about this too.
Our deadbeat tenants are in Canada, but usually we have similar rules.

not a bad idea, will do. getting a judgement is easy, it's what follows next that is important

Debt enforcement against a debtor with no assets and minimal income can often be a case of one step forward, two steps back.

I suppose if you don't mind the time spent in court doing means enquiries and default enquiries, then you can make some slow progress.

In theory a debtor who breaches an enforcement order is in contempt of court and can be jailed, but I know of some Magistrates in WA who essentially refuse to imprison anyone for civil debts, no matter how serious the breach.

Back