Tenant not vacating

I'd suggest you'd have more success calling the boys on bikes than the boys in blue. Perhaps you should make friends with a large Maori family.

Or implement my favourite of KathrynD's suggestions - take the front door off its hinges and remove from the property :D

(Please note, I am NOT recommending this completely unorthodox method.... it just makes me giggle every time I recall it)

Or implement my favourite of KathrynD's suggestions - take the front door off its hinges and remove from the property :D

(Please note, I am NOT recommending this completely unorthodox method.... it just makes me giggle every time I recall it)

We did have the law on our side :)

The lease was over, and we also went to the RCMP before we did this

Coz if you have a good tenant, it takes no time to receive rent in your bank account :) Parting away 8.8% or so for managing bank transfers is nonsense.

Have had a bad experience and that was a good learning. And that learning did not involve using a pm next!

There's a heck of a lot more to it than just managing bank transfers.

There's a heck of a lot more to it than just managing bank transfers.

Quarterly inspections? Filling forms? For those petty tasks i wont part away with 9% of my rent income. Their main game is to sell properties not manage them. But yeah if someone is not placed well to do that then needs a manager.

Quarterly inspections? Filling forms? For those petty tasks i wont part away with 9% of my rent income. Their main game is to sell properties not manage them. But yeah if someone is not placed well to do that then needs a manager.

Really?

I guess it all depends if you think of your properties as a nice little hobby, or a Business.

For me it's Business only!

I'm not going to go around chasing tenants, filling in forms, doing inspections, trying to check the data bases, writing advertisements, interviewing new tenants, organising tradies, quarrelling about rent increases, going to tribunal, keeping abreast of the tenancy laws, etc. My time is a lot more valuable than that.

But then......I've got a large portfolio, not just one or two.

Really?

I guess it all depends if you think of your properties as a nice little hobby, or a Business.

For me it's Business only!

I'm not going to go around chasing tenants, filling in forms, doing inspections, trying to check the data bases, writing advertisements, interviewing new tenants, organising tradies, quarrelling about rent increases, going to tribunal, keeping abreast of the tenancy laws, etc. My time is a lot more valuable than that.

But then......I've got a large portfolio, not just one or two.

Fair enough. I know of people managing 15 IPs themselves. Agents have offered them as low as 6% commission rate but they will pvt manage. But for some it can be a passive investment. All to his own.

I have 3 long term financially healthy tenants so makes it easy. 1 new tenant had lost his job but that experience made me better at managing my IP affairs.

my passive investment is the asx200 where i rely on the capable board and execs!

The self-manage vs PM argument is as old as the hills. I've never paid to have anything managed. I enjoy doing it and I know most of the rules. I save a heap of money by doing something that I enjoy. What I don't know I learn quickly as a "situation" arises.

I respect those who don't wish to manage themselves, just as I respect those who pay to have the dog walked, the grass mown etc. It all comes down to personal choice.

I wouldn't do it just to save money. I certainly wouldn't try to do my own dentistry or my own hip replacement :D.

Fair enough. I know of people managing 15 IPs themselves. Agents have offered them as low as 6% commission rate but they will pvt manage. But for some it can be a passive investment. All to his own.
Well...for starters, I've got more than 15, spread across 4 States, and I pay less than 6% for most of my managements.
The self-manage vs PM argument is as old as the hills. I've never paid to have anything managed. I enjoy doing it and I know most of the rules. I save a heap of money by doing something that I enjoy. What I don't know I learn quickly as a "situation" arises.

I respect those who don't wish to manage themselves, just as I respect those who pay to have the dog walked, the grass mown etc. It all comes down to personal choice.

I wouldn't do it just to save money. I certainly wouldn't try to do my own dentistry or my own hip replacement :D.

Yes, absolutely, if you enjoy it and you are prepared to learn about the tenancy laws, and implement them. But not to save a bit of money.:D Plus, I know you know the tenancy laws and have no problem with doing the right thing at the right time to mitigate losses when a tenant runs into trouble.

The problem I have with many self managers is that they are not like you. They do it to save money but actually end up costing themselves more money than they've saved, through poor management, bad tenant selection and/or failure to implement rent increases. They often don't know what they can & can't do, and then cry poor.

Given the example, in Vic it would need to be 120 days. The 60 day notice is for end of fixed term under 6 months, sale, to be used as a business or family moving in.

Holmes, I may be biased - but I know I'm good at what I do and I don't just sit around and collect rent. I also know a lot that are useless, it is true. The problem is a lot of people shop for the cheapest fee or don't research the company they're placing their investment into.

Speaking from personal and professional experience, most of which I'd rather forget, eviction, or more politely regaining possession of the property, is not for the faint hearted or amateurs. By all means follow the processes to learn all about it, but I suggest you engage a professional property manager to complete the matter. Orders for possession of the premises which empower the Sheriff to remove someone from their rented home are not given lightly and there are many loopholes and delays possible, especially known to "expert tenants" (dodgers). As we know, they have substantial "entitlements" and extensive "rights". The difficult evictions can only be done by professionals as these people know that the outcome is inevitable when they're in expert hands and being processed correctly. You need an expert to take out some kinds of trash.
Good luck
Cheers
crest133

Orders for possession of the premises which empower the Sheriff to remove someone from their rented home are not given lightly and there are many loopholes and delays possible, especially known to "expert tenants" (dodgers). As we know, they have substantial "entitlements" and extensive "rights". The difficult evictions can only be done by professionals as these people know that the outcome is inevitable when they're in expert hands and being processed correctly. You need an expert to take out some kinds of trash.

Hehe, reminds me of a particular piece of garbage we had to get removed.

Off to the tribunal time & again for non payment & they would always put her on a payment plan "because she has children". We've been through the whole "tenant has children" nonsense previously. Nobody cares if the Landlord has children......

She'd pay a few weeks & then off we go again, getting further & further behind. Until I decided to play hard ball, that is. After being shafted by the tribunal, and them putting an order in for $10pw to 'catch up', I put the rent up by $20, effectively giving me $30pw extra. She did it again & so did I. The third time she did it, the tribunal made her pay $20pw & I also gave a $20 rent increase.

By then she was paying $60pw over market (when she paid, that is). She DID actually start paying more regularly after than & had basically repaid all the arrears when she flooded the kitchen. I can't remember what she did, but it was bad enough for us to get her immediately removed because the house was 'unliveable'.

. Orders for possession of the premises which empower the Sheriff to remove someone from their rented home are not given lightly and there are many loopholes and delays possible, especially known to "expert tenants" (dodgers).
Cheers
crest133

Appropriate checks at start of tenancy are important. TICA for example. If a professional failed to vet a tenant then he aint a good agent, no matter how great he is then in removing that dodger!

Again, those with the time and skin can DIY.

We are going thru a similar situation now.
Tenants only pay when we issue a Notice to Quit for arrears.
After the third time, we are proceeding to court this week, to request eviction or the tenants must sign a mediation form promising to pay on time, in the subsequent months..or we get immediate eviction.

Tenants are currently paid up, but not within the time frame...tired of them.
They are no longer convenient to us.

We are going thru a similar situation now.
Tenants only pay when we issue a Notice to Quit for arrears.
After the third time, we are proceeding to court this week, to request eviction or the tenants must sign a mediation form promising to pay on time, in the subsequent months..or we get immediate eviction.

Tenants are currently paid up, but not within the time frame...tired of them.
They are no longer convenient to us.

i know in qld repetitive breaches is a grounds for termination.

The legal test is whether the breach, or the breaches, justify termination in the circumstances.

"Circumstances" in this context can mean a whole range of different factors, including circumstances of both landlord and tenant.

Appropriate checks at start of tenancy are important. TICA for example. If a professional failed to vet a tenant then he aint a good agent, no matter how great he is then in removing that dodger!
Sadly, it's not as simple as that. Good tenants can turn bad, so while everything comes up roses on past performance, there can be nothing to give warning that things are going to turn sour.

I think you will find that Kathryn's tenants are in Canada, which has rules a lot different to Qld.

Sadly, it's not as simple as that. Good tenants can turn bad, so while everything comes up roses on past performance, there can be nothing to give warning that things are going to turn sour.

I think you will find that Kathryn's tenants are in Canada, which has rules a lot different to Qld.

Yes skater..I really should add that to my responses..thank you.

We are lucky that, in many ways, the Directors and Adjudicators, understand that the property does in fact belong to the Landlord.
If we do not have a legal foot to stand on, we will lose.

A LL does not try to get rid of a good tenant.

My motto is:
A tenant is there only at our convenience, and when they are no longer convenient, they will be gone.

my point was on what was implied to as serial offenders ie dodgers. One tip for private landlords is to check all adult co-tenants not just the lead.

I do understand the self manage vs agent argument can go on till the pepsi and coke production goes on. But there is absolutely nothing in it that one cannot do with a bit of effort if one has the time and interest. Ain't rocket science.

But there is absolutely nothing in it that one cannot do with a bit of effort if one has the time and interest. Ain't rocket science.

I have no problem with people who self manage, so long as they know what they are doing. For instance, people like Wylie. She knows the rules, implements them when required and knows market rents. As a professional Landlord, she would also have their rents pretty close to market as well, as the rents form part of their livelihood.

The problem is that many self managers have no idea what they are doing. They're fine to collect rent, but as soon as something bad happens, they are up the creek.

Heck, back a long, long time ago well before we knew what we were doing, we had a small studio attached to our home. It wasn't approved & we had a uni student live there. We did it all ourselves, and we were lucky that nothing bad happened, because we were clueless.

It was the small bit of rent from this that helped us keep our home in the '80s during 17.5% interest rates. As soon as we could afford it, tenant was out & it became part of our home.

Anyway, I believe most self managers fall into that category. They do it to save a few bucks, but it can be a false economy.

So, I'm not having a go at you personally. You are pretty new here. You could be a gun PM, or a really bad one, I really don't know. I'm just trying to make you understand that just because someone says it's an easy job, sometimes that's because they don't have all the information, or it might be easy for them, but not for the next person.

I'd be wary of encouraging people to self manage, personally, because at the end of the day, if someone I don't know on an internet forum decides to self manage because 'Skater said it's easy' and they stuff it up, I don't want to be held accountable.

Can you see where I'm coming from?

Back