Tenant pays late - gets charged $100 and agent keeps it

I just realized my tenant has been paying late like couple days over the year and been charged $100 late fine. Although they have been charged this, it fine is kept by the agent. Any thoughts abt this?

The agent has charged the tenant a late fee, but haven't passed it on to you, correct? Has the agent told you why they are not paying it over to you?

More importantly

By what authority are you charging a late fee?

To the best of my knowledge it is illegal to charge a late fee of any kind.

Perhaps you could quote us the legislation that says you can do this, and how come your licensed property manager is doing this - if they are.

Kristine

I just realized my tenant has been paying late like couple days over the year and been charged $100 late fine. Although they have been charged this, it fine is kept by the agent. Any thoughts abt this?

Could it be a direct debit dishonor? If so that would stay with the agent

that's a good trick! tell the agent to bump it up to $500 and split it with them. your rent will never be late again! a win-win

We are permitted in our province to charge 1 % of the month rent.In our contract they agree to $50 charge if they are NSF on a payment.
You still need to act within the RTA.

OP didn't mention a dishonor fee..but late charges....
Since you are not permitted to charge these fees, and the tenant goes to the tribunal, who would the tribunal order to pay it back, the PM or the LL?

More importantly

By what authority are you charging a late fee?

To the best of my knowledge it is illegal to charge a late fee of any kind.

Perhaps you could quote us the legislation that says you can do this, and how come your licensed property manager is doing this - if they are.

Kristine

Beats me - only found out that today. I don't even get the $100 - so how is that my fault.

They're the biggest inner city agent in the city . but yes i'm keen to know myself.

Beats me - only found out that today. I don't even get the $100 - so how is that my fault.

They're the biggest inner city agent in the city . but yes i'm keen to know myself.

Perhaps Kristine missed that bit in your first post ...

You going to ask them ?

Perhaps it is a direct debit dishonour fee..I still don't understand why people complicate stuff with direct debit, I setup weekly / fortnightly transfers instead, the receiing party gets their mony, if I don't have enough money in the account, they dont get penalised, only I do.

Perhaps Kristine missed that bit in your first post ...

You going to ask them ?

Perhaps it is a direct debit dishonour fee..I still don't understand why people complicate stuff with direct debit, I setup weekly / fortnightly transfers instead, the receiing party gets their mony, if I don't have enough money in the account, they dont get penalised, only I do.

still a single dishonour fee for $100
haven't had the chance to ask actually

Will get around to it when i have the chance.

Back