Tenant Psychology

I was driving home, and a song came on the radio. Some of the words were:

"I knew my rent was going to be late about a week ago,
I worked my A.... off, but I just couldn't pay it though,
I had about just enough to get down in this Club....."

I can't remember the rest of it. Something about having the time of his life, I think.

Anyway, the only thing I could think of is that this is how some tenants think. If they can't pay it, they don't even try. It's spent on whatever they want. There is no "Sorry, I had a lot of expenses & I could only pay half this week, but I'll catch up later". No! It's pay, or don't pay. Or, don't pay, then go to the tribunal and get orders to pay it off.

It's something I don't think I'll ever understand.

Until every tenant has to be registered on some sort of Tenancy database with all history - good and bad - disclosed; it'll never turn in our (LL's) favour.

See, that's what it's all about. We're the stupid ones!

I don't think so!

I can "get down" in any club I like, and spend whatever I want. I just don't want to, and that hasn't changed from when I was 18. I couldn't think of anything worse, to be honest.

Nothing is taught in schools about money it investment and until this day comes how can we ever expect people to understand a subject they have never been educated properly about

Nothing is taught in schools about money it investment and until this day comes how can we ever expect people to understand a subject they have never been educated properly about

They don't teach you to smoke or drink at school either. Some people manage.

My parents had a tenant not pay rent for a week because her husband and children really needed a holiday, in bali.They work really hard and hadnt had a break for a while.:rolleyes:

We had one say at a tenancy hearing "I have issues..that is why I didn't pay my rent"

The Director said "It doesn't matter if you have issues...you still need to pay your rent"

We won :)

Yeah, but who would teach it? I know lots of teachers, and most of them don't have 2 cents to rub together.

My parents had a tenant not pay rent for a week because her husband and children really needed a holiday, in bali.They work really hard and hadnt had a break for a while.:rolleyes:
My point, exactly!

We had one say at a tenancy hearing "I have issues..that is why I didn't pay my rent"

The Director said "It doesn't matter if you have issues...you still need to pay your rent"

We won :)
And so you should!

Yeah, but who would teach it? I know lots of teachers, and most of them don't have 2 cents to rub together.

Haha, Travelbug, she's a teacher, but she's also about to retire, so I guess that won't work.

I was driving home, and a song came on the radio. Some of the words were:

"I knew my rent was going to be late about a week ago,
I worked my A.... off, but I just couldn't pay it though,
I had about just enough to get down in this Club....."

I can't remember the rest of it. Something about having the time of his life, I think.

Anyway, the only thing I could think of is that this is how some tenants think. If they can't pay it, they don't even try. It's spent on whatever they want. There is no "Sorry, I had a lot of expenses & I could only pay half this week, but I'll catch up later". No! It's pay, or don't pay. Or, don't pay, then go to the tribunal and get orders to pay it off.

It's something I don't think I'll ever understand.

Yo, shout out to all you kids, buying bottle service, with your rent money
Respect

It's pop culture , these are lyrics celebrating spending your rent money on VIP service at a club, not surprising some people embrace it.

Quote of the century, and last century !

Thank God for Jan Somers, she was a teacher!

The education system teaches kids how to get a job, and fails a fair bit with that at times too.
But never how to deal with the $$$ they make from that job.

The age of entitlement is also a big factor.

Time to shake it up. Time to jump on the lame excuse so called poor people with flippant claims of hardship.

What happened to have a go?

You don't need financial education to know you have to pay rent first, then go clubbing last.

They teach economics at school, so it should be incorporated into this subject.

I reckon plenty of folks like us here would be glad to teach a separate class though...

As an ex-teacher of golf (to kids as well as adults), I would love to do it, but getting the time...

The other problem is to get schools to approve a program to slot into their syllabus...I guess it could done as an elective - this starts in Year 8 at my son's school - and I think this is a good age to start because the kids are becoming aware of the joys of money (or lack of).

My son as an example; is busting to get a job now (he is too young at 13).

The trick is to make the subject fun, relatively simple to follow, and interesting.

It happens with commercial tenancies too. Had a tenant livid that the we evicted him whilst he was overseas skiing in Japan for over 8 weeks.

Had no care about the rent was still required to be paid or advising us that the had not just taken off.

Another just purchased a new Maserati and wanted us to wait until some more monies came through so his cash flow would not be affected.

No thoughts whatsoever.

Another just purchased a new Maserati and wanted us to wait until some more monies came through so his cash flow would not be affected.

Because you are rich, you can afford to wait for the rent. He NEEDS a Maserati NOW. :rolleyes:

Maybe, just maybe, if he didn't buy the Maserati his cash flow wouldn't have been affected. Why is it that they can't take responsibility for their own actions? Idiots!

Back