Tenant request for Boom Gate remote

Hi all,

After some advice here. The unit I've rented out to one tenant for almost 2yrs now is chasing up on a remote control for the boom gate. The boom gate is the massive gate that provides entry to the underground garages.

When I bought the unit 2 yrs ago, I was never given a remote.
Strata says its $120 for one remote key. (plus some labour costs).

Need some advice on how to proceed. $120 just for the physical remote seems costly. Strata says this is the cheapest. But ontop of that would be additional labour costs to come out to the unit and do frequency scans etc.

I believe strata does not know who the original installers for the boom gate was. Hence the additional costs to find out the gate's frequency. Is this something that the Strata should go and find out to minimise my cost of getting the remote and finding out it's operating frequency?

No other tenant in the same complex has asked for a remote. Just mine.
Although they might be with another rental agent.

What can I do to minimise my out of pocket cost?

After some advice here. The unit I've rented out to one tenant for almost 2yrs now is chasing up on a remote control for the boom gate. The boom gate is the massive gate that provides entry to the underground garages.

For two years, has it been tenanted and if so, how have the tenants gained entry into the underground garages?

When I bought the unit 2 yrs ago, I was never given a remote.
Strata says its $120 for one remote key. (plus some labour costs).

That sounds a fair price.

Need some advice on how to proceed. $120 just for the physical remote seems costly. Strata says this is the cheapest. But ontop of that would be additional labour costs to come out to the unit and do frequency scans etc.

I believe strata does not know who the original installers for the boom gate was. Hence the additional costs to find out the gate's frequency. Is this something that the Strata should go and find out to minimise my cost of getting the remote and finding out it's operating frequency?

No other tenant in the same complex has asked for a remote. Just mine.
Although they might be with another rental agent.

What can I do to minimise my out of pocket cost?

If no other tenants have asked for a remote, is that because they have one that works? If you never got one, how have you got into the garages all this time?

Just pay and get one. Actually, pay for two and keep on as a spare.

Hi Wylie,

There is a key that is used to open the boom gate to gain access and exit from the garage area. It's just manual, and requires the tenant to get out of the car, insert key, and turn the key to open the boom. Other tenants in the same building have a remote. Could be all others, and just not me. Or perhaps just the longer term tenants when the boom gate was installed.

Just wanting to lower the cost as much as I can.

Maybe borrow a remote of another unit and take it to the experts, ask them how much for another one for the wife/husband.

They could be able to test and supply on the spot

2 x options occur to me:
1. They have been using a manual key for 2 years. It works. That's how it was handed over at lease time 2 years ago. Not getting a remote. Tenants can ask the BC for a remote at their own cost.:cool:
2. Buy 2 x remotes. Keep one and hand the other to the tenant via the PM. Geeze its only $120+ - don't sweat the small stuff. ;)

It would be a pain to have to get out of your car every time to open the boom gate. For the small cost I'd get a remote organised.

Or alternatively your tenants can get annoyed enough, leave, then you can be up for vacancy, reletting fee's etc. A lot more than $120.

$120 for a remote could be spot on depending on what type and how it's chipped.

I know for our rental, our property manager quoted us $150 for an additional remote, so I found one on eBay that did the trick for $50.
Tried to source a second remote for a friends garage, but turns out that you can't buy an additional remote unless you get THE master remote, and take that to create a swipe card... but no one in her building block seems to know where the master remote is. (Nice and secure!)

A remote for my commodore only cost $100. They do it on the spot, plug it into a laptop and bingo its done. Borrow one from a neighbour and get it done. Then jack the rent up lol.

Back