Tenant Request Replacing of Ridge Capping

I have a tenant who requested that we have the ridge capping on the roof replaced as they said it is loose and cracked. Having been advise this by the property manager, we went about getting a plumber out to have a look. We were advised by the plummber that this is normal for older homes and 90% of the time there's no issue with rain getting into the home (so we thought fine, that's the end of that).

Two weeks later the tenant has come back saying that they're really concerned and "as a person in the profession". They even went as far as to say that they're we're responsible for their property if anything happens in the event the ceiling collapses.[Note no water marks to be seen inside the house].

Given that they're so concerned, surely there would be proof that there is an actual problem? And they would have had a discussion with the plumber who did the inspection in the first place? Any thoughts on the issue?

P.S. I'm a newbie

I have a tenant who requested that we have the ridge capping on the roof replaced as they said it is loose and cracked. Having been advise this by the property manager, we went about getting a plumber out to have a look. We were advised by the plummber that this is normal for older homes and 90% of the time there's no issue with rain getting into the home (so we thought fine, that's the end of that).

If you have the plumber's advice in writing, you can give the tenants a copy to allay their fears. I think there is an ulterior motive - as "person in the profiession" that they are wanting to "do the work" and charge you?

Discuss with your property manager - they know your rights etc, and act as mediators in such situations.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Welcome to the forum.

We were advised by the plummber that this is normal for older homes and 90% of the time there's no issue with rain getting into the home

So you're punting on your place not being in the 10% where a failed ridge cap will let water in?

Replacing a ridge cap on a tin roof (I'm assuming it's not a tiled roof) shouldn't cost too much. Certainly cheaper than fixing a ceiling down the track. Did that plumber give you a price?

Scott

ridge capping on the roof....loose and cracked.

Sounds like a tiled roof Joey. Is it ??

Given that they're so concerned, surely there would be proof that there is an actual problem?

From my very limited experience, I've concluded that the level of concern displayed by a tenant is usually inversely proportional to the amount of money they need to pay to allay the concern.

Yep it's a tiled roof (not sure if it's terracotta or cement though).

It's also getting to the end of their lease to maybe they're trying to get things done before committing to another lease or maybe they're are taking me for a ride??

Plumber didn't think there was an issue and did not bother to give a quote.

If you have had someone out to look at it and they don't think there is a problem, then just pass that info onto the tenants and leave it at that. If they are worried about their contents then they should get contents insurance (I would be telling them this too ;) )

My capping is pretty stuffed at home. Frost and heat over time makes them very brittle and a few are broken, yet I don't have any leaks that I know of. If they are not badly broken, the chances of water entering the house is very slim, as it's hard for water to travel upwards. If it's just the mortar that's fallen off, I wouldn't worry about it.

Tell them if they aren't happy, start looking for another house. I'm sick of whingy tenants too.

Another vote for "whingy and whiny with an ulterior motive", and tell them to get contents insurance. :rolleyes:

I also thought a plumber is exactly the right person for the job - and I think turk is a plumber, so he'd know! (Sorry, Pete, if my memory fails me.)

It's also getting to the end of their lease to maybe they're trying to get things done before committing to another lease or maybe they're are taking me for a ride??
End of lease is near, so if you're happy that there is no chance of damage to roof (in or outside), let it ride.

Regards
Marty

I would flick the tenants and get new ones.

Dont like whingy ones.

I don't like them either but some winghy ones look after the place better
I have 1 such tenant,
the PM ignores him on minor issues and does nothing
and if the issue continues to bother the tenant he runs to bunnings gets what he needs and does it himself

Like everyone else I hate whingey tenants. I have one long term one. I must say the noise is getting quieter from her the longer she stays, and like BV says, she does look after the place quite well.

I just tune out to the noise. If it isn't a maintenance issue, don't bother me.:D

Thanks for the feedback.
I think I'll wait until it's closer to the end of the lease, increase the rent and see if they choose to stay (we're a little under market value). I'll work out the roof at a later stage, any idea one price of fixing the roof (only the ridge capping) - 3 bedrm, lounge/dining, kitchen single storey (not a big house).

Back