tenant request ?

should I bare the cost of items not included when the lease was signed?

• No, tenant has eyes

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Yes, it will be paid back for a good gesture

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • If he agrees to a 12 month lease + $10pw increase

Votes: 18 58.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have been asked by the new tenant of a granny flat I own if I could install a water outlet for him to have a washing machine. Fairly basic request was my first response........

The initial plumbing quote is coming in at over $700 dollars with a large "ESTIMATE" written in the email by the agent. He's paying $200 a week with me paying his power and water. At the agents suggestion he was signed to a 3 month lease as he is 18 and first time leaving the family domain and things can happen?

My gut says he's on a good deal, do your cloths at home or at the local laundry mat. Is this to hard? the house and flat are soon to be negative again with the rates increasing and adding new items that where not there in the first place and not my issue is getting my goat a little.

Some of the formites seem to be very tough on tenants while others are a push over, I'm trying to find the part in the middle.

I'm thinking if he resigns for 12 months and a $10 increase p/w at the end of the 3 months I'd look at doing it but not at the moment.

Hi Andrew

I have just been asked to install a new TV antenna 'because the picture fades since he installed his set top box'

He refused to go half, so I said 'enjoy the free to air analogue programs or install your own digital aerial and take it with you when you leave'

Usually, I would be happy to do small upgrades (as distinct from maintenance which we attend to immediately) but this particular tenant asks for something every month - he obviously views paying rent as 'personal' and wants to get his money's worth from it!

Your tenant has been there a few weeks.

If he is still there in three months then yes, I would probably install the taps and waste. However, I would also install a water check meter so that he can pay for his own water

The $700 plus $200 for the meter only have to provide an extra $10 per week to be a worthwhile investment eg $520 / $900 = 57% return and your outlay would be paid for within two years and continue to provide benefit indefinitely

It is reasonable to be able to wash your clothes 'at home' rather than at the laundromat - althugh if he has a Twin Tub they have a flexible hose which pushes on to the faucet and a rubber outfall hose which hooks over a basin.

Perhaps you could buy a Twin Tub or point him in the direction of same and not have to worry about the taps at all!!

Cheers
Kristine

PS loved my Twin Tub, which was given to me by a friend, and which I passed on to my Sister, who still has it, thirty years later!!

I am usually pretty hard nosed when it comes to tenants wanting extra's once they have signed the lease, however we have a tiny granny flat that we are in the process of renovating and one of the things we will be doing is providing not only the connections and space for a washing machine, but probably a front loader as well, as space is in short supply, so it will have to go under a bench.

To me, this is an upgrade on the facilities/amenities provided when the tenant signed to live there.

Therefore, consider the upgrade when the lease expires (3 months), and add the appropriate amount of increase to the rent to justify the extra amenity.

Add the water meter as well as Kristine said.

The agent should be able to give you an idea of how much extra this should bring in rent, and if not, then pluck your own figure out of the air.

But be fair and reasonable.

Hey mate, wheres the granny flat? at d....s? If so should be hell of a lot more then $200pw.

Id leave the repairs, and just slap up the rent. :) IMO, if someone wants something bad enough they will get it themself....

Hey mate, wheres the granny flat? at d....s? If so should be hell of a lot more then $200pw.

Id leave the repairs, and just slap up the rent. :) IMO, if someone wants something bad enough they will get it themself....

It is that place mate. The house is $370pw and that going off realestate.com is around the norm - about $30pw less than a standalone house.

Happy to be told otherwise as another 50pw helps the +/- csahflow?

Yep, it's a reasonable request.

But it's come in more expensive than you (or he) would have imagined.

Just show him the quote and tell him it's too expensive. At least it shows him you considered it.

Wait till he's been there a while.

Hang on, the guy just wants to have a washing machine in the granny flat. I personally couldn't live without a washing machine, seems like it would be a bit harsh to deny this to him. Admittedly the quote is quite expensive, but if he agrees to a rent raise then I don't see the problem in getting the plumbing done now rather than later. I don't see why he wouldn't agree to a rent raise in order to get the washing machine in...

Yep, it's a reasonable request.

But it's come in more expensive than you (or he) would have imagined.

Just show him the quote and tell him it's too expensive. At least it shows him you considered it.

Wait till he's been there a while.

I would do this as well. The other thing has he actually bought a washing machine yet?
If not suggest a twin tub and you will both be in front. Hook it up outside under the carport or where ever, water the garden at the same time.

I have just been asked to install a new TV antenna 'because the picture fades since he installed his set top box'

He refused to go half, so I said 'enjoy the free to air analogue programs or install your own digital aerial and take it with you when you leave'
Slightly off topic, but I just moved into a rental in Brisbane and had the same problem. Never even occurred to me to ask the landlord for a new antenna. Picked up a portable digital one at Dick Smiths for $50 which works perfectly.

Here it is, just found it online. Great little gadget, maybe send your tennant the link... ;)

Cheers,
Michael

Hey Michael

The PM rang me a half hour ago - the tenant is threatening 'consumer affairs'!

His Father - 'who owns five investment properties' (wow!) told him that I had to repair the analogue aerial but that he couldn't require me to upgrade

Mind you, this tenant parks six cars on the front lawns, and asks for something every month. Perhaps he thinks that I am his Mother?

I just love property investing! There is never a dull moment, and who needs an aerial to have this insight into human behaviour!!

Cheers
Kristine

The PM rang me a half hour ago - the tenant is threatening 'consumer affairs'!

At least Kristine, he is paying you a very large cashflow positive nett rent so that the pain of the constant requests are dulled. Maybe just take it out of the profits that he is providing to you already.

His Father - 'who owns five investment properties' (wow!) told him that I had to repair the analogue aerial but that he couldn't require me to upgrade

Ahhhh !!!! The father must be a fully paid up member of that most elusive of creatures, the successful Aussie property investor who isn't a SS member. I think there is only about 100,000 of those out there in the wild left.

He's probably been beaten around the head with similar requests for the past 20 years, and is finally getting some satisfaction back, with his son on the requesting side of the contract, and is relishing the moment enormously.

I wonder how many other Tenants have older siblings / parents like him advising them ?? Good luck with that Kristine.

Back