Tenant requested to break fixed lease - We want to move in

Hi everyone

I have a slightly different situation. We are self managing a place with tenants who are on a fixed lease until Feb 2015. Our intention was that we wanted to move into this properly at the end of the lease, we informed the tenants of this when we purchased the property.
Yesterday the tenants sent us an email asking if they can break the lease with 2 weeks notice if they find another place to rent before that period.
We are happy for them to break the lease early but think that 4 weeks is more reasonable because we have to relocate from our current house and then also rent out the house we are currently living in which may take more than 2 weeks.
The tenancy agreement i have with me states that the tenants are liable for paying fees & rent if they break the lease early, but its more in relation to us finding another tenant. Our situation is that we want to move into the house.

Essentially my question is can I negotiate for four weeks notice for the tenant to leave? I have drafted the email asking for them to give us four weeks from today, and then after 4 weeks they can give us two weeks notice when they find a place. I feel that is fair and avoids any fees.

The law changed in Jan 2012 on what you can charge for break lease fee of which you ignored and wrote your own law which is not legal. I believe the tenant is asking if they can give 2 weeks notice without any penalty. Up to you to decide but if they have been good tenants speak to them re your thoughts and see what they think. As it is if they waited three more months they could leave with 3 weeks notice and no penalty. Which do you prefer!

The break lease clause isn't the remedy in this instance (it would have been easier if you had the break clause at the time of entering the lease (though it caps the costs for the tenant). In your instance the standard break of lease leaves the tenant liable until you find a replacement tenant, as you aren't going to be leasing it out, this is $0 as you are going to occupy the house.

Just to confirm when we bought the property the tenants were already there and the tenancy agreement was done before we owned the property.

The tenants are easy to get along and they agreed to give us 4 weeks minimal from today, and a 2 week notice after that.

Back