Tenant Requesting Evap cooling

Well - it does get really really hot in Wagga ... I'd research the best option and have "whatever" installed ... then increase rent by, at least $10 to cover

Don't forget you can claim it back on your tax as part of the "under $3,000" depreciation pool

I've lived in Wagga, it gets very hot, I dont think giving you the option to fit A/C or she'll move to a house that has it is too unreasonable, thats what I'd do in that situation.

I'd go a swampy over a split system, the install costs may be dearer but the swampy will better cool the whole house and maintence should be cheaper as swampys are much less complicated that a split system. Swampys are pretty much just a water pump, a fan and a float bowl similar to whats in a toilet.

I love it when tenants ask for air con as it is one of the best ways to increase the rent, it is a no brainer to make extra cash. I get the tenant involved and say 'OK air con is not a problem but for every $1000 of cost the rent is put up by $5 a week. I have never been rejected when I put this to them (make sure you talk to them about it on a 40 degree plus day).

For example $4000 spent on aircon the rent goes up $20 a week. This as return on your money is $1040 divide $4000 which equals a 26% return. Better than not doing anything and is a win/win situation. Also you get the depreciation but also there are costs to maintain so this needs to be taken into account.

This was one of the first things I learnt from this forum many years ago. In fact I use this system a lot for other improvements aswell eg putting in a small kitchen pantry (did this recently - pantry cost me $80, I raised the rent $5 a week. That pantry now makes me $260 a year every year or circa 333%).

Back