Tenant requesting to keep a dog

Tenants hav requested to keep a dog only after they have just moved in. They did not make such a request at the time of application.

Should I entertain this request?

What are the disadvantages of allowing dog on the property?

What type of dog?
Will it be inside or outside?
Is your place carpeted?

Many advantages to allowing a dog including a negotiation of an increase of $5 - $10/week, clause to include flea fumigation upon leaving (if carpeted), and tenants are also likely to stay for longer due to the hassle of finding another pet friendly place. Grass grows back and holes can be filled in...by the tenant of course. ;)

Disadvantages may include: scratched floor boards (fixed by specifying outside dog only).

That's all I can think of at the moment.

I usually allow a dog or cat on request. People with pets are often more stable tenants. You can put on conditions, such as the size of the dog, kept in/out etc, cleaning requirements on departure etc.

Keep in mind if you say no, they may get one anyhow and then what do you do? Maybe the dog or the tenant (or both) would have to go. I worry about dogs in that situation.

Should I entertain this request?

I would - you can command slightly higher rent and the tenants are likely to stay on for longer.

Also, if it was me renting it, I'd make sure the place was kept pristine (to avoid any threats from the PM or having my request to have a pet revoked).

Cheers,

Jamie

What type of dog?
Will it be inside or outside?
Is your place carpeted?

Many advantages to allowing a dog including a negotiation of an increase of $5 - $10/week, clause to include flea fumigation upon leaving (if carpeted), and tenants are also likely to stay for longer due to the hassle of finding another pet friendly place. Grass grows back and holes can be filled in...by the tenant of course. ;)

Disadvantages may include: scratched floor boards (fixed by specifying outside dog only).

That's all I can think of at the moment.

I usually allow a dog or cat on request. People with pets are often more stable tenants. You can put on conditions, such as the size of the dog, kept in/out etc, cleaning requirements on departure etc.

I would - you can command slightly higher rent and the tenants are likely to stay on for longer.

The house is full of carpets and the kitchen which opens to the back garden has wooden floorboards. PM didn't mention whether the dog is to be kept inside or outside.

The dog is a 8 years old Maltese Terrier dog.
The dog is currently staying with the tenants' parents at Pyramid Hill.
Don't know about dogs - is this a large or small dog?

The tenant has just signed the tenancy agreement a week ago. So will they agree to an increase of $5-$10 per week? How should I negotiate with them?

A Maltese is an SWF (small white fluffy:)). I wouldn't have any problems with a dog being allowed in my IP but I don't know how you would go trying to get a rent increase after they have signed up. No harm in asking though I guess.

yep, likely to be indoors. Nothing to worry about though - small, won't shed and being 8 years old generally means he'll be less active. I doubt it will scratch the floors.

To be honest, if you had to choose one dog to be in your IP - an 8 year old maltese would be it.

Cheers,

Jamie

yep, likely to be indoors. Nothing to worry about though - small, won't shed and being 8 years old generally means he'll be less active. I doubt it will scratch the floors.

To be honest, if you had to choose one dog to be in your IP - an 8 year old maltese would be it.

Cheers,

Jamie

Thanks for your reply.

I have decided to allow the dog with additional clauses in the tenancy agreement.

I think I will forget about asking for a $5-$10 increase as I doubt the tenant will agree since they just move in. What do you think? Or should I try my luck?

I'd let it slide - the good will is probably worth more than the additional $250 p.a (plus I'm biased - everyone should have the right to own a pet in my perfect world :)

I'd let it slide - the good will is probably worth more than the additional $250 p.a (plus I'm biased - everyone should have the right to own a pet in my perfect world :)

I will go with what you suggest, hoping that they will reciprocate by being good tenants. :)

The property we have tenanted has a dog bond clause ~$400 in addition to regular bond (not sure how legal that is, but it was organised through our PM so it should be ok)

Other good suggestions from the other "dog owning tenant thread" was a clause in the contract for shampooing and deodorizing carpet/property at end of lease.

Back