Tenant thinks I'm disrespectful!

I rented one of my houses out to a couple with two small children for 9 months.

The house is not a palace but when they moved in the old carpet had been professionally cleaned.
The house had been cleaned to a high standard,no cobwebs etc.
The outside yard was mowed and there were no weeds.
The house had been fully painted only a year before.
I also put in a new stove and plastic blinds on all the windows.

This couple had a new baby,so now 3 children.They also had a stream of visitors from over seas as they are from two different countries.These visitors seemed to stay a long time and there was always a tribe of kids about.It is only a small three bedroom,one bathroom house.

The lease ran out and he didn't know what he wanted to do.I
gave him three weeks to decide.He never got back to me so I told them I wanted a long lease,gave them notice and advertised for a new tenant.
I only showed one couple the house and called to check days before to make sure it was ok with the old tenants.

Inspection day came but I couldn't do it as they had not finished cleaning or moving.I came back the next day.They had left a pile of rubbish and belongings just outsidet he garage.

The house had not been cleaned as well as it was when they had moved in.
The walls have many new marks and generally the paint was now very grotty and chipped in places.
On bedroom had a new orange stain on the carpet and the other
had a large burn mark.The carpet was now beyond repair.
He has drilled cheap locks on the two bedroom doors.
There is also a horrid smell in one of the bedrooms,I think it's a urine smell.

This guy had not mowed the lawn and weeded the garden the whole time he was there.I made sure this was taken care of by organising Jim's mowing who charged the tenant.

I called the tenant to discuss my findings.He got very nasty and accused me of over exaggerating.He said I had treated them
with disrespect.He claimed they had been really good tenants.

My reply was I could say the same,that he did not respect the lease or my property.Yes he paid his rent on time but no he did not take care of the property according to the lease agreement and he has left the house much worse off then when he moved in.

I'm to meet with him tomorrow to discuss the bond.He claims to
be a fair person and I'm damn sure I know I am.
So in my case what would the fair thing to do?
I have organised for a painter to come by tomorrow and see if he can patch up the paint or if he will have to do the whole walls.

My new tenants are moving in on Tuesday.I will get new carpet as soon as I can organise it.I would not be doing this if I didn't feel it was necessary.

My second unpleasant experience with tenants in this house.I seem to be making enemies despite trying to do the right thing.
Cheers Shelly

:confused:

So you are managing the properties yourself ? Would you be better off with an external property manager ?

Hi Shelly,

I agree with Sim. Yes it will cost you approx 7% of your rent (tax deductable) but at least you can get the property manager to deal with the problems. Also your tenants might be more vigilant with cleaning etc if they are dealing with someone a bit more official looking (an agency).

With your new tenants make sure you get a property report, in writing, signed by them. Then there should be no dispute over things like burns in the carpet.

Good Luck

Lily

We have just been through a very similar thing a couple of day's ago.........all I can say is thank goodness for PM's.

I was more than happy to leave her co-ordinating cleaners and rubbish removalists so our new tenant could move in yesterday morning. Can you believe the cleaners were there until after midnight on Friday night and the carpets were cleaned for a second time at 6am Saturday morning. She will also be going to the tribunal for us to try to recover the cleaning costs out of the bond money.

Hmmm, now I know why I don't self manage.

Sorry Shelley, I know that isn't much help, but it's all part of doing business, and it could've been worse :( At least there weren't any holes in the walls.

Ruby :)

Hi Shelley!

Can you take the repair bills out of the bond? Do you have a bond?

In order to have a bond, you must have a condition report, and the faults you mention would show up on a condition report and final inspection report.

just wondering...

asy :D

Originally posted by asy
Hi Shelley!

Can you take the repair bills out of the bond? Do you have a bond?

In order to have a bond, you must have a condition report, and the faults you mention would show up on a condition report and final inspection report.

just wondering...

asy :D

Actually ASY, Shelley indicates she has a bond. Shelley if things are as your post suggests you have very reasonable grounds not to release the bond back. I damn well wouldn't. Asy is correct, a condition report is vital to proving the difference between when they moved in to now. Doesn't mean I would roll over too quick.

Just by posting I would assume you may be a person who is a little "kind of heart", maybe a little too caring to tackle the tough job of handling some tenants who may be prepared to take advantage of your generosity. Get a Property Manager and give them your ex-tenants details to place onto TICA.

Good Luck

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

Thanks guys.
I'm not impressed so far with the PM in my town.When I was looking to buy I looked at dozens of properties all managed by Agents.I was often shocked how these places were kept.Particularly how many were let to groups of young people who clearly did not give a hoot about taking care of the properties.

I cannot find the condition report for this tenant.I recall he was going to drop it into me and I guess I got busy and it slipped my mind to ask him for it.My mistake.I have one for my other places,guess I wasn't paying close enough attention.

I have decided to call in back up.My male partner who is a lot more assertive than I am.He also has several properties.I sometimes think he seems too tough but he gets what he wants.
I call him my mafia,he helped me out last time with another nasty male tenant.I do wonder if it's a male/ female power thing.
This guy today was shouting and trying to guilt me by indicating I wasn't being very nice.I guess not like his wife,she's so sweet butter wouldn't melt.He seems to be upset that I'm not considering the fact he feels stressed and has children and works and is trying to organise immigration etc etc.
Hey I'm not a social worker.It's a business transaction.

Anyway,everyone thanks again.I guess it doesn't matter what he
thinks,I know I'm not a greedy landlady.
My partner will set him straight.
Cheers Shelly
;)

It's always a good idea to bring in the 'big guns' when you need them. Now I know why we have men around! ;)

Ruby

i find it of interest that you actually took any notice of the tenant calling you disrespectful.

Its only a tenant, its not as if its your friend calling you disrespectful.

Ignore them and get on with getting what you are entitled to :)

True confession time

I am sorry to admit to you all that I was once a disrespectful tenant.

Last time we rented we left a coffee stain on the dining room carpet (is this fair wear and tear being a dining room?).

Anyway the landlord felt that we needed to replace the carpet at about $1000. This was when I was a little disrespectful.

After I had a think, I suggested that we should go to the tribunal to get it sorted out, I mean these tribunal guys do this for a living- I was actually quite looking forward to the learning experience when the landlord denied it to me by settling for $40 carpet cleaning costs.

I guess we all gained from that experience.

Cheers,

Yes everyone has accidents but leaving junk & not mowing lawns is another. I dont no how meny properties you have but if you manage them your self it must be done in a business like manner if you run them your self you should do a pm corse so you nKnow the rules. its not for everyone and to not know how to manage them could cost you alot more than just to save 7% to use a pm. I would go to the re in your area and get the best one to take over. Do you have rental insurance? if you end up with a loss tell you re and he may regerster this guy with tica. go luck hope it works out if not just put it down to inexperance and dont let it happen again.

Thanks sc,
As I said I brought in the mafia.Tony Soprano was busy so my partner stepped in.It worked.

The tenants came back and cleaned the place better.Got rid of the junk.
After a rather heated discussion,they backed down.
Partner kept insisting they get into into the real world.
They are what some might call hippies.The tenant is still
somewhat freindly and admits he didn't understand that the
lease was not a casual transaction and was not open to negotiation.Stressful but funny really.Nice people but different view points.
You know,it's like,"What's the fuss man?Take a pill!Your acting like a greedy landlord"
:cool:

I got to keep the whole bond.

Yes,now I'll be a wise guy too:)
Insurance the lot.Still not going to pay a prorperty manager.
We had a young lady working for us part time who was also
working as a pm.The pay can be really lousy.
The stories she told me made me beleive we were doing just as good a job as them.
My Additional terms and conditions just keeps growing.
I'm onto them,Cheers Shelly
:D

I'm with you Shelly. PM I've delt with have done all sorts of amazing things - including 'losing' condition reports and tenancy agreements. (not to mention 'losing' my income)

But I am sure there are some great diligent PM who adequately attend to detail and keep the owner informed.

If Asy will excuse me,
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr.Seuss .

PM is a learning experience, and the more you learn the more you know there is to learn. And there is nothing like experience to increase your learning, but it is also good to learn from other peoples knowlege/experience.

All the best

JAM

Originally posted by Shelly

I got to keep the whole bond.

Yes,now I'll be a wise guy too:)
Insurance the lot.

Hrmmm - havent had a bad tenant yet *touch wood* so i dont know the details ....

are you able to keep bond for the repair and claim insurance for the same thing?

does this increase your premium because of a bad claims history ? or are those landlord insurance actuaries nuts ?

Hi Shelly,

I am happy that everything worked out well for you.

One thing you may consider in future is regular inspections. Every 3 months is fair and reasonable and will allow you to identify things such as locks put in doors.

Also, when filling out the lease document with a new tenant I like to reassure them that even though I am a private landlord, they should expect that all dealings between us will be business like...they will get copies of the lease, condition report and bond form, they will enjoy the private enjoyment of a clean and habitable property and any repairs that need to be undertaken will be done promptly. They are then advised that this works the other way as well, with any breaches of the residential tenancies act by the tenant dealt with promptly according to the act.

Good luck

Glenn

Thanks Glenn,
Good idea,I have already put 6 months inspections in lease for the new tenants.3 months would keep me too busy,I'd never get
a holiday:)
New tenants have copies of everything.No stone left unturned.

XBen,can't tell you about claimimg repairs from insurance as I didn't have it at the time.

I guess I felt put out by the tenant saying I was being disrespectful because I thought by giving him extra time and waiting on his friend to decide if he wanted the place etc,I was being patient and respectful of their situatuin.
Your right it's none of my business what people think of me.
At the same time like all of us I try to be a fair and honest person.
Hey,I believe in karma.:p

He's not a bad guy,just not an ideal tenant.In fact I like him.
He's a bit of a hotty too.I can see why he's on to kid number three.
:p

Back