tenant threatened to blow up property and bashed another tenant advice please !

tenant no 1 'bill' threatened my elderly relative 'mary' when she gave him 2 months notice in december. he threatened to blow up the building.

elderly relative felt threatened and so what did she do , she instead gave him notice to leave in june 6 months later giving him plenty of time for him and all the poeple he sublet his flat to , to have time to move.

now yesterday another tenant 'JOhn" who is a relative of elderly relative owner of block of flats, was chatting with tenant 1 , bill, and asked him where he gets all his people to sublet his flat from as he also planned to do that and he made the mistake of telling 'bill' that he planned to do that with tenant 1's flat when tenant 1 left

tenant 1 then bashed John , punched in head and hit with a crow bar tenant 2.

what would you do ?
there are no tenancy leases
i beleive my relative plans to evict both to seem fair but John will then come back to his flat a month later. I dont know how this will peter out.

Last edited by a moderator:
i hate saying this, but these kind of stories reinstate to me why i have a property manager and keep my distance.

not a nice position to be in. i would personally get a property manager asap.

now yesterday another tenant 'JOhn" who is a relative of elderly relative owner of block of flats, was chatting with tenant 1 , bill, and asked him where he gets all his people to sublet his flat from as he also planned to do that and he made the mistake of telling 'bill' that he planned to do that with tenant 1's flat when tenant 1 left

Sound like they are both brainless boobs and deserve each other.

tenant 1 then bashed John , punched in head and hit with a crow bar tenant 2.

If the police aren't involved at this point then refer back to my first statement.

what would you do ?
there are no tenancy leases
i beleive my relative plans to evict both to seem fair but John will then come back to his flat a month later. I dont know how this will peter out.

Firstly I would have a lease in place, secondly I would have a lease in place - hang on I have already said that.:eek::D

Francine, I think you need to not get so involved in other peoples problems you may find that your life will run a lot smoother.

Cheers

Nothing at all ,but without a lease in place it does not sound good,or get a black belt in "NOCANDO",it teaches you to be quite say nothing and walk away and let someone else deal with the problem..good luck willair.

Nice one sensai..........I also like dojo "NOCANDO" :D

Keeping one's distance is a wonderful thing ;)

Why is there no lease signed?

This is how squatting happens! And many more problems :eek:

Get a PM straight away, tell them upfront the problems, they know the system and can get them out quicker. Then let them deal with it, it'll be easier to get them out, yes you're going to have to pay them to do this, but at least it takes the pressure off yourself, and protects you too.

From memory though, you don't have to give them a 60 day notice to vacate if there's been violence involved.

Giving them until June is more than fair, but i don't think it's going to change the situation, "bill" isn't going to leave peacefully..

Your friends and relatives certainly lead interesting lives, Francine.
That seems to be an understatement.:eek:
Call the Police
The very first thing that should happen IMHO.
Francine, I think you need to not get so involved in other peoples problems you may find that your life will run a lot smoother.

Cheers
Exactly. You seem to know a few people with somewhat problematic tenants. Instead of taking the problems on board yourself (and causing you stress), why not refer them here and let them do the asking.

They are more inclined to learn by their mistakes that way too.
Giving them until June is more than fair, but i don't think it's going to change the situation, "bill" isn't going to leave peacefully..

I hope the insurance is up to date, because I am betting that Bill, should he leave, will leave the place in a nasty mess.

POLICE!!!!
Ring the cops. Serve an eviction notice (although that has been done already???). And if need be take to tribunnal along with copy of police report on such behavour.

Really curious why on earth would she EXTEND the length of time the tenant was allowed to stay living in the premises after bing bash??!!!! That is just STUPID.

Also I have noticed no mention of police anywhere in your post. WHY?

Oh and did I mention...
RING THE COPS. PRESS CHARGES FOR ASSAULT AND BATTERY.

i hate saying this, but these kind of stories reinstate to me why i have a property manager and keep my distance.

not a nice position to be in. i would personally get a property manager asap.

I hate saying that these stories jolt me into the reality of the risk I take being a resi landlord... a risk that is not compensated for in the slightest

I hate saying that these stories jolt me into the reality of the risk I take being a resi landlord... a risk that is not compensated for in the slightest

I self manage.

Five leases.

Since 2003 I have replaced an oven element and a letterbox. It isn't always like you see on A Current Affair.

Thanks for all that . Look i gave some suport and encouragement but i also protected myself and saved my energy as there is no need for me to get too invovled.

this is an aged relative who is the owner, so i cant do much but i do what i can to advise and influence a bit.

she has run the flats the same way as her parents did before her without a lease and she doesnt get much trouble but they do get occasional trouble.

she runs it like it was run 45 years ago still collecting rent by hand instead of taking advantage of todays bank transfers etc. I wonder if some might even know where she lives and bring it to her, possibly this abusive guy

and i agree why would you extend stay to someone who threatens you with violence. i might do it differntly but somehow she has survived decades of managing these flats.But I am happy to learn and see if i can influence her a bit.

*so what do they do to get lease papers and get a lease happening in the flats.I think i once raised it with her and she had some reason why she didnt do them at the time.

*also would they do things like photocopy drivers licence and passports to ascertain identity.. i dont think they do anything like that and couldnt even prove who this guy really is if they ever needed to . he could say he is anyone.

the tenant who was bashed is a relative, and he is pressing charges. He was quite fearful and wanting to move out, quite in shock all day, but i think he calmed down by tonight. the one who did the bashing is in no way related to me , he is just a tenant who took taht flat and then seems to sublet it.

its a pity the owner isnt pressing charges or taking out intervention orders and getting him out for threatening in december to blow up the property if he is kicked out. instead she lets him stay till june thinking as you say it will be differnt maybe better maybe but as some said probably not. she says she will then go to the tribunal in june if he hasnt left.

I'm not the one running the show but i can try to influence.Thanks alot.

I've been quiet thus far - but, Francine, I can't help thinking that your life would be much smoother if you stayed out of all this "Days of our Lives" drama!

cheers

I'm glad I'm not related to all the people saying keep out of it. If I had any elderly relatives left alive, and they were having problems, I'd like to think I'd be wanting to help them. However, if this elderly lady is being stubborn and set in her ways as I know some old people can be, and not willing to take on board any advice, then I'd simply let her do it her way.

Is actually very sad, and must be more so for her, to have been able to rely on trust and people doing the right thing once upon a time, and now you can't trust anyone with your life, let alone making sure they pay their rent and look after the home they live in. :(

thanks so much everyone much appreciated

so how would relative choose a good property manager she seems interested?

the practical advice youve given that i'm grateful for is

1property manager

2police ( yes they were called immediately and charges are being pressed which led to more threats from the violent tenant that he will get 25 guys to bash my relative if he proceed with charging for being bashed.this is causing tremendous stress, fear, turmoil, so yes police are involved)

3leases

4eviction

thanks biggles I have great respect for those who care and dont just turn a blind eye while others suffer, but i still dont want much drama in my life, so its a balance.

I have been feeling a jumble of things including all you have said. I remember as i was growing up that they would be selective of the type of people they would let to, usually couples or families only.Its probably discrimanatory to admit that and they dont follow that anymore.

I do try to find information and choices that will help and see if i can influence her a bit

especially re
1dealing with this violent tenant, (interventions, eviction immediately or let her take her path of letting him stay till june and then going to tribunal if he doesnt go)

2the toll that may take on the other tenant he bashed who is a relative could be massive maybe even tragic, we dont know if the violent tenant will carry out his threat to get 25 guys to bash him if he presses charges for being bashed with crowbar.

protecting the other relative so he can feel safe after being bashed by the violent tenant with a crow bar. this is a huge concern
will he charge, will he move, will he stay somewehre else for a while, will more violence erupt

my relative who was bashed is fearful and shaken and tryng to work out what to do and where to go

it could die down or it could end in tragedy.

i need to protect myself from drama, but i also wont turn a blind eye while others are bashed, threatened, fearful, in turmoil and suffering . I do investigate and try to help when i can.
Thanks so much everyone.

Last edited:
Francine,
is this the same property (that an elderly relative owns) that your son wants to renovate at his expense and sub let out at a profit?

yes it is but truly i wonder if its worth putting much into renovating if he can have a profit from renting it to multiple students anyway without renovating it.

but whats that got to do with this?

Last edited by a moderator:
there has been some good news.

I called someone who is a social worker but looks quite rough, has a past before he became a social worker and knows how to deal with troublemakers. He is also a karate and ju jistu expert. He is brilliant at solving all sorts of situations and also knows about making more money from properties as he does this himself very successfully, he knows about handling tenants, dealing with threats, solving difficult situations using a range of conventional and innovative ingenious techniques. He helped in so many ways yesterday its incredible.
so actions have been taken and a good plan is in place.
as well theycalled up and invited over and 'spoke' to the violent tenant and left him knowing that if there is anyone hurt,any further trouble, HE will be the one looking for protection.- and beleive me if you got such words from this guy you would not make any trouble!

Back