Tenant wants air con

Tenants always amaze me. They rent the place without an a/c.
Unless it is a new rental, it has been rented for years previously without an a/c...what changed?

Tenants always amaze me. They rent the place without an a/c.
Unless it is a new rental, it has been rented for years previously without an a/c...what changed?

"What changed" is that when I first had an IP (35 years ago), it was very rare for any house to have air-con. When we installed ducted in our own PPOR 16 years ago, it was still fairly unusual. I didn't have any friends with ducted air, or splits. My perception was that rich people had air-con. Normal people did not have it, and certainly most IPs wouldn't have had it.

Over the past 15 or so years, particularly the last ten years, we upgraded our IPs (and my parents' IPs) as the tenants changed. It became quite clear that three things in Brisbane were becoming essential to get good rent, and to rent quickly... air-con, dishwashers and decks.

So, that is what changed. Those three things were not all that common 15 or 20 years ago, but are now seen as standard (in many areas, certainly where our IPs are).

To not have air-con, dishwasher or a deck puts your house further down the list of desirable places to rent.

"What changed" is that when I first had an IP (35 years ago), it was very rare for any house to have air-con. When we installed ducted in our own PPOR 16 years ago, it was still fairly unusual. I didn't have any friends with ducted air, or splits. My perception was that rich people had air-con. Normal people did not have it, and certainly most IPs wouldn't have had it.

Over the past 15 or so years, particularly the last ten years, we upgraded our IPs (and my parents' IPs) as the tenants changed. It became quite clear that three things in Brisbane were becoming essential to get good rent, and to rent quickly... air-con, dishwashers and decks.

So, that is what changed. Those three things were not all that common 15 or 20 years ago, but are now seen as standard (in many areas, certainly where our IPs are).

To not have air-con, dishwasher or a deck puts your house further down the list of desirable places to rent.

What I was asking is what happened --specifically changed for the tenants , from the time they agreed to rent a house without a/c to now?

They knew when they agreed to rent it, it didn't have a/c.
It's not like it was a surprise.

Just another tenant wanting to change the terms of the lease.

Just say NO

What I was asking is what happened --specifically changed for the tenants , from the time they agreed to rent a house with a/c to now?

Just say NO

Yeah but a landlord doesn't have to necessarily take requests from tenants as a form of insolence.

It could be just a simple request. I get them sometimes from tenants, and just deal with each on their own merits. Sometimes its yes, sometimes its no - and sometimes there's a compromise of sorts to be made in between.

It doesn't have to be a big deal.

Yeah but a landlord doesn't have to necessarily take requests from tenants as a form of insolence.

It could be just a simple request. I get them sometimes from tenants, and just deal with each on their own merits. Sometimes its yes, sometimes its no - and sometimes there's a compromise of sorts to be made in between.

I totally agree, by all accounts it just appears the question was asked and there was no insolence, people need to chill out a bit.

What I was asking is what happened --specifically changed for the tenants , from the time they agreed to rent a house without a/c to now?

Just say NO

I misunderstood. I see what you are asking. I guess tenants take the chance that the house ticks most of their boxes so they sign up in the hope they may be able to negotiate having air added for extra rent, or even better, for no extra rent.

If landlord says "no" then I guess that is a calculated risk they take when they sign up "as is".

Indeed. I would see it as an opportunity for some negotiation. You should be able to get some more rent for it. At best, you actually make a profit on the deal, at the midpoint you break even on cash but get a bit of a win after tax, and at worst you learn more about the people you are dealing with.

Indeed. I would see it as an opportunity for some negotiation. You should be able to get some more rent for it. At best, you actually make a profit on the deal, at the midpoint you break even on cash but get a bit of a win after tax, and at worst you learn more about the people you are dealing with.

Agreed. The negotiations were one sided. I am happy to install anything (within reason) they want as long as they come to the party with the rent increase to cover interest and maintenance. This was relayed to the tenant and they knocked it back.

I don't negotiate with my kids when they spit the dummy so the tenants did pretty well I think.. Hehe

I just came across this situation in my granny flat (sorry for the hijack)

Currently rented out at $380 per week (I have not raised rents since tenants moved in 1.5 years ago).

Told them Ill put in an AC for $20 extra per week.

Agent comes back with
"Your tenant wishes to negotiate to $10 increase in rent per week.

She?s very happy with the current place & willing to sign another 12 months lease agreement with you at the rent of $390 per week.

She?s also happy to do the regular filter cleaning & accept all the future cost invoiced for maintaining the air-cond."

Do I go with the $10 increase or stick with $20?
What AC unit should I buy? (should I get something interest free?). It needs to cool at least a 6mx3m area

Cheeky tenant :eek

You could say rent will be going up $10 without the added air-con or $20 with it. Be prepared she might leave. That means losing at least one week's rent. Maybe put in the air-con and agree to increase by $15.

Cheeky tenant :eek

You could say rent will be going up $10 without the added air-con or $20 with it.

This!

I'd be telling them that they have not had a rent increase in all the time they have been there, & it is now overdue. There will be a $10 increase regardless & this is not negotiable. If they want the air-con, the rent will be increased a further $10 ($20 all up), and it goes without saying that she would be responsible for cleaning the filters.

Got the $20 but
It is our responsibility to remind you that according to the tenancy regulation all the electrical appliances provided by owners is to be maintained by the owner.

Now to find an Ac unit that can cool a 30-35m2 area. Suggestions ?

Got the $20 but
It is our responsibility to remind you that according to the tenancy regulation all the electrical appliances provided by owners is to be maintained by the owner.

Now to find an Ac unit that can cool a 30-35m2 area. Suggestions ?

Nice one

You ( or ur PM ) must be a better salesperson then me ( or mine )
There is plenty of info online regarding room size.Just google " air conditioner calculator "
Some are more indepth than others.
As far as brands, my experienced a/c techy friend who fits most brands just installed one in my PPOR and swears by MITSUBISHI HEAVY INDUSTRIES for reliability (he claims he gets the least complaints/repair jobs) but does concede they aren't the best looking unit.
FUJITSU, DAIKIN and MHI are pricey ( and rightly so apparently ) compared to say, LG, SAMSUNG or MITSUBISHI ELECTRIC.
For the record, I went with the MHI, I'll take ugly and working over sexy and busted any day.
Oh yeah
We have about 50 MHI installed at my workplace and the site leccy reckons they don't miss a beat and they're around 10yrs old
Hope this helps:

It became quite clear that three things in Brisbane were becoming essential to get good rent, and to rent quickly... air-con, dishwashers and decks.

In a few weeks we settle on a nice 1980s house in Brisbane's west, near the river. The house has a good size split-system airconditioner in the open-plan lounge/dining room/kitchen area and a second airconditioner in the main bedroom. There's no cooling in the rest of the house, though it is elevated (due to being on a slope) and gets cooling breezes.

The PM we've engaged to find tenants for us suggested putting an air conditioner in the remaining three bedrooms at around $1600 each :eek:. We feel that a ceiling fan in each bedroom would be sufficient (around $250 each). The house is in a nice suburb and should get a high rent; given this, do we need to add any more air conditioners or are ceiling fans sufficient? I can't imagine a family happily paying the electricity bill for five air-cons!

Thanks in advance,
GG

Hi GG.
What area is it in ?
I'm looking for a rental for a family member in or near Camira.
Can anyone assist ?
Agree with the comments re AC, Dishwashers & Decks now must haves for good rentals. Going through all the searching myself right now and deleting those without.
Cheers
crest133

The PM we've engaged to find tenants for us suggested putting an air conditioner in the remaining three bedrooms at around $1600 each :eek:. We feel that a ceiling fan in each bedroom would be sufficient (around $250 each).

Most of the place we manage have one air-con in the main living rooms. This does push through into bedrooms because they run off the living room.

It has never been asked of us, but if it was, we would look at putting in a small split in the main bedroom. I think the PM suggesting each bedroom have air-con is a bit rich. (We have this in our PPOR but that is different ;).)

Tried without success to push cold air down hallways.
I guess 5 splits don't all need to be on at once unless all rooms demand it. Alternative with ducted means higher costs even if only one room is used ?
Do evaporative systems work ok in Brisbane suburbs or is the humidity too high ?
Cheers
crest133

Tried without success to push cold air down hallways.
I guess 5 splits don't all need to be on at once unless all rooms demand it. Alternative with ducted means higher costs even if only one room is used ?
Do evaporative systems work ok in Brisbane suburbs or is the humidity too high ?
Cheers
crest133

Evaporative won't work in Brisabane... too much humidity.

I still wouldn't put air into all the bedrooms. It is very rare for us to need to sleep with the air on. Less than five times a year personally.

The PM we've engaged to find tenants for us suggested putting an air conditioner in the remaining three bedrooms at around $1600 each :eek:. We feel that a ceiling fan in each bedroom would be sufficient (around $250 each). The house is in a nice suburb and should get a high rent; given this, do we need to add any more air conditioners or are ceiling fans sufficient? I can't imagine a family happily paying the electricity bill for five air-cons!

Thanks in advance,
GG

Good grief.
I have never heard of a landlord providing Air Con to every bedroom. Is this a house with a bathroom attached to each bedroom too? With gold taps? I'd be asking the PM if she owns a rental house and does she provide air to each bedroom at her expense.

As for the cost to run, the tenants don't have to turn them on if they don't want to pay for the power.

Back