Tenant want's to adopt a ______

One of my tenants at an IP wants to adopt a cat...

I told her no, but I'm still worried she might still go through with it. :(

What should I do? :confused:

I don't live at the IP so I have no idea if she is keeping one in her room or not.

Last edited:
One of my tenants at an IP wants to adopt a cat...

I told her no, but I'm still worried she might still ago through with it. :(

What should I do? :confused:

I don't live at the IP so I have no idea if she is keeping one in her room or not.

I wonder why you said no? She has the right to do so. She was just trying to do the 'right thing' by asking you. Why is there so much nastiness in the world?
If I were you, I'd try to think about something else.

Is the property a unit or a house? If unit, some strata/BC's disallow pets, regardless of whether the owners allow it or not.

You can in theory give them a breach notice if your lease says no pets, because they've gone against the terms of your agreement.

In my opinion you might be better off letting her have a cat. Mostly because tenants would do it behind your back if you disallow it anyway. In some states, you can increase how much bond they have if they have pets.

The advantage of allowing pets is that other properties don't allow pets, therefore you keep the tenant longer because moving becomes annoying.

I wonder why you said no? She has the right to do so. She was just trying to do the 'right thing' by asking you. Why is there so much nastiness in the world?
If I were you, I'd try to think about something else.

I love cats, but if the landlord ticks the "No Pets" box on the lease forms, and the tenant has agreed to and signed the form, that means no pets....
You can't automatically think you are allowed to bring animals onto the property.

I think from Fullylucky's previous posts and his line in this post 'one in her room or not', that it is a house rented by the room.

Assuming I'm right...

You can't expect a cat to only live in one room. What would the other residents think of cat in the house? What happens when she moves and leaves the cat behind?

I usually don't mind pets but in this case I'd say no.

Back to the question "What should I do?". There's nothing you can do till you find evidence of a cat. Pay close attention for signs of one at inspections.

I think from Fullylucky's previous posts and his line in this post 'one in her room or not', that it is a house rented by the room.

...in this case I'd say no.
In this case I agree. Cats should generally have some access to outside, too.

In other cases, I'm of the understanding that ticking the no pets box is a bit of a gimmick as there is more and more the premise that there has to be a good reason to say no.

As a pet lover ... and someone who had an undisclosed cat in a rental flat ... if the situation allows it, I would let them have a pet - perhaps with an additional bond.

But then it comes down to the tenant. My cat had full access to a litter tray in the bathroom and access to a balcony to go outside ... I also kept the unit anally clean at all times, so I was a tidy person to start with.

If the tenant is just renting a room - then probably no, as it will affect other occupants (can't keep a cat penned up in one room) - but if it's not just one room, and if they are a naturally tidy person, then I'd go for it.

Assuming I'm right...

You can't expect a cat to only live in one room. What would the other residents think of cat in the house? What happens when she moves and leaves the cat behind?

I usually don't mind pets but in this case I'd say no.

Exactly, what if other housemates are allergic to cats. Cats also have certain smells it might limit the tenants I can get in the future. :(

I encourage pets also if there are no property restrictions.

However your property - your decision.
If she has no permission for a pet and gets one - it is a breach of lease and can be dealt with with a breach notice then an application to terminate the lease if it is not remedied

You can't breach for pets in Vic - unless you can prove there is good cause not to allow a pet.

I would think shared accommodation would fall into this category, it's not fair on the other occupants and the poor cat can't live in a single room.

If they want a pet, the should seek alternative accommodation that is suitable.

We have a lot of tenants renting bachelor (1 room apts) with a cat or a dog.

I don't think that argument will hold.

A one room, enclosed apartment is different to a single room with shared bathroom/lounge/kitchen facilities ... sounds like the OP's tenant is just renting a bedroom.

Back