Tenant wants to install second hand gas heater.

I have new tenants in a rental property of mine. They are young guys who understood and signed as part of the lease agreement that the existing gas space heater is inoperable and will not be repaired. Instead electric wall heaters have been installed. The house was advertised as having electric heating and the tenants were made aware the gas heater is out of order and will not be replaced or repaired the first time they even enquired about the house. So no problems there. The rent has been kept under market value as a result.
However yesterday when I was at the house changing tap washers (I self manage and do all my own maintenance) they asked me if I would agree to them buying a second hand gas space heater and having it installed. They said they were willing to pay the total cost of this.
Now when I had the gas heater inspected last year when it first failed the plumber told me it was so old parts would cost a fortune if they could even get them and that installing a new heater was also going to cost even more. As the house will be demolished in a couple of years I did not want to spend the money on going ahead with either of these options. I decided to keep the rent down and rent it with electric wall heaters instead.
I understand that the tenants would prefer gas heating as it is more effective and cheaper but I have concerns about them finding a second hand one and having it installed. On the other hand if it is done professionally and the heater is safe I guess it would be to my advantage as well as their's to have this heater.
What do others think? I mean they accepted the house without the gas heater so should I just say no. Of course I have concerns about whether it will be safe and properly installed. Also when tenants start paying for things themselves like this do they end up pressuring for cheaper rent, greater leniency etc?
Feel like I should just say no. Not sure.

I have new tenants in a rental property of mine. They are young guys who understood and signed as part of the lease agreement that the existing gas space heater is inoperable and will not be repaired. Instead electric wall heaters have been installed. The house was advertised as having electric heating and the tenants were made aware the gas heater is out of order and will not be replaced or repaired the first time they even enquired about the house. So no problems there. The rent has been kept under market value as a result.
However yesterday when I was at the house changing tap washers (I self manage and do all my own maintenance) they asked me if I would agree to them buying a second hand gas space heater and having it installed. They said they were willing to pay the total cost of this.
Now when I had the gas heater inspected last year when it first failed the plumber told me it was so old parts would cost a fortune if they could even get them and that installing a new heater was also going to cost even more. As the house will be demolished in a couple of years I did not want to spend the money on going ahead with either of these options. I decided to keep the rent down and rent it with electric wall heaters instead.
I understand that the tenants would prefer gas heating as it is more effective and cheaper but I have concerns about them finding a second hand one and having it installed. On the other hand if it is done professionally and the heater is safe I guess it would be to my advantage as well as their's to have this heater.
What do others think? I mean they accepted the house without the gas heater so should I just say no. Of course I have concerns about whether it will be safe and properly installed. Also when tenants start paying for things themselves like this do they end up pressuring for cheaper rent, greater leniency etc?

Let them put in a gas heater at their own expense, for crying out loud! :mad:

Will they also be having the plumber/gas fitter check that the gas supply is safe & adequate, having the heater checked that it functions correctly and be installing a gas/monodioxide detector as required in Victoria?

get them to do it professionally, get them to get a compliance certificate from the plumber/gasfitter. this will give a warranty/insurance that it's done correctly and is safe.

Put it in writing that they have permission to install a gas heater provided they supply you with paperwork showing compliance upon completion.

Put it in writing that they have permission to install a gas heater provided they supply you with paperwork showing compliance upon completion.

This. Must be installed by a licensed gasfitter and all compliances provided.

Back