tenant wired electricity from another flat. few questions please.

block of flats belonging to elderly relative.
tenants electricity was cut off because they didnt pay their bill
they wired electricity from the electricity box or soemthing from another flat and somehow that made the electricity of another flat go off and their fridge freezer etc stopped working suddenly.

What would you do ?

she has had a few warnings of troubles from this tenant and i really hope they manage to do something and get them out.

have you ever even heard of tenants daring to do that before?

can they tell when they do it which flat they are takign the electricity from as i wonder if they deliberately chose the particular flat that they took it from.

thanks

so many bums out there , i have seen water meters being taped into before the meter, and electricity stolen before the meters too!
its like my workers expect at least 10% of misshaps because thats what society is all about now, and deal with each issue for what it is, sigh!

This is a police matter.

Francine - where do you meet all these people, I have never known anyone with even a fraction of the drama's.

Then slap an eviction notice, is that even easier if they aren;t on a fixed term lease ?

I've only seen that happen in the movies.

What would you do ?

Call the cops then all an electrician to rectify the wiring. Ones fixed make sure they lock the power box using an approved elecricity suppliers lock.

can they tell when they do it which flat they are takign the electricity from as i wonder if they deliberately chose the particular flat that they took it from.

thanks

They would have know which wire they used to cross connect into their circuit. They obviosly didn't know what they were doing so as not to get noticed. So again get an electrician to check it out ASAP.

Cheers

Their actions are illegal and immediately breach their lease conditions - this should be standard in all States. Terminate lease immediately.

Their actions are illegal and immediately breach their lease conditions - this should be standard in all States. Terminate lease immediately.

+1

terminate lease immediately. That's very dangerous and could have caused death or fire.

Plus call the cops.

I'm sure this breaches several conditions in a standard lease

Is this the same relative that was having problems before?

She obviously needs help, so point her in the right direction (a property manager) and then stop getting involved!

A PM will sort all of the ongoing problems out. Get rid of the scum and make things a lot easier for your relative. Of course, these things will take some time as it sounds like she has got some really interesting tenants.

I think its all connected to the same one bad tenant

i will talk to her. How many warnings does she need before she gets rid of them. I have left her a message of someone who will take care of this and get them out. I'll have a chat to her again.

I am very interested to know if they knew whos electricity they were stealing, as it did not seem random the particular flat whos electricity they stole and who then had their electricity go off and food in fridge freezer went rotten.

i will talk to her. How many warnings does she need before she gets rid of them. I have left her a message of someone who will take care of this and get them out. I'll have a chat to her again.

This friend owns and manages a block of flats and doesn't know how to evict a tenant :confused:

How long has she managed them?

A tenant is not like an employee that you're required to give so many warnings to.

Tell her to get a property manager. As it stands, it's like the blind leading the blind.

tenants messing about with electrical supply, and the landlord knows but is not taking action???

if a fire or worse occurs there will be all sorts of ramifications.

is the place insured?

it is time for action before a tragedy occurs.

i feel for the other tenants.

Francine

Punch - ups, electricty scamming. As a landlord she is doing a similar job to those managing the Melbourne Storm. Here is the tip. GET A PM and contact the elecity company. Things happen in 3's remember I would hate to think if these are the first 2 what the 3rd would be. Her insurance company ( if she bothers to have it) will be very interested if there is a fire that she is aware and did nothing about it.

I appreciate you seem to be her shoulder to vent her concerns/problems and you are trying to solve them but she may be elderly but things will get worse if she does little about them.

Jezza

My girlfriend was a real estate agent had an old lady from the flats continually complaining about her electricity bill and how it was through the roof and she couldnt possibly have used this much. Anyway old lady finally died and they found a wire tapped into her electricity from next door, they had been using it for years.

The simple mindedness of some people always amazes me. If you thought electricity bill was high, why wouldnt you just turn the main switch off and see if the meter was still turning...

My girlfriend was a real estate agent had an old lady from the flats continually complaining about her electricity bill and how it was through the roof and she couldnt possibly have used this much. Anyway old lady finally died and they found a wire tapped into her electricity from next door, they had been using it for years.

Maybe they are friends of these people?

Attachments

• electricity wires in india1.jpg
    electricity wires in india1.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 101
Back