Tenant won't leave

Self managed property. Nuisance tenants. Many complaints from neighbours.

Tenant signed lease agreement stating that 2 people were living in the property. There was actually 4. When landlord found out they issued a 'breach of agreement' and gave them 7 days to vacate the property.

They assure landlord that they will be vacating, they stop paying rent.

Day to vacate arrives, no preparations to move made. Vacation day +1, tenants still in property. landlord tries to call, phone switched off. tenants playing dead and keeping very quiet to not arouse suspicion.

landlord visits property. tenants answer door, claim that they cannot afford to hire removalists until vacaction day +4....rent still unpaid. The interesting thing is that they removalists didn't help them move in.

If the tenants still remain in the property after they've been told to shove off, what recourse do landlord's have (this is under the WA RTA by the way)

Do you mean what can you force them to do or pay against their will ??

She's a pretty short list, and all of them involve lots of time and money.

Do you mean what can you force them to do or pay against their will ??

She's a pretty short list, and all of them involve lots of time and money.

pretty much. Just browsing through the RTA here. Not looking so good for any landlord should they desire a speedy resolution to this.

I think if someone is self managing and hasn't read the RTA before being in the poo, they probably shouldn't be self managing in the first place.

wholeheartedly agree. I think they are self managing to save a few extra bucks. Not worth all the heart ache in my opinion. They don't seem to be very savvy property investors. Using only the local newspaper for advertising and weren't aware of all the many free and better options. No wonder they got dud tenants.

wholeheartedly agree. I think they are self managing to save a few extra bucks. Not worth all the heart ache in my opinion. They don't seem to be very savvy property investors. Using only the local newspaper for advertising and weren't aware of all the many free and better options. No wonder they got dud tenants.

Dud tenants are everywhere. If they were all so great, you wouldn't be reading about all the propblems here on SS from investors who have PMs.

Do they drive cars?

Option 1,

Grab some of those security wheel locks and remind them when the rent is paid and they move their stuff the locks will come off. Being nice is not an option anymore.

Option 2,

Find the largest and meanest debt collector you can and send him around.

Act quickly before any tribunals or RTA involvement.

Back