Tenants gave me just 2 weeks notice vacating !

Hi

My tenants gave me just 2 weeks notice that they will be vacating. I just found out yesterday, the 17th July. The current lease expires August 2nd.

Dont they need to give you longer notice than this? I thought it was something like 6 weeks?

Sorry if this question has been asked a billion times before. I could probably find the answer searching but this is the quickest and I'm in a hurry as I have decisions to make.

Also I think now that i've saved heaps this could be a great oppportunity to add value and im thinking of renovating the bathroom. But do I have enough time to arrange it all ?! After my tax return I should have around $28 K saved now. :D I've managed to save heaps living with mum and dad for 1 and a half years now.

Its a 1 bed 41 sqm. Renting for $280 pw atm.

If I do decide to renovate i'll have to start ogranising things.

Anyway i have to run now. Hopefully i'll have time later to reply.

thanks for your help

Different states have different laws around this, but I think in Vic it's 30 days notice. Realistically though, it's often not a big deal. My own properties tend to get re-tenanted very quickly and a tenant giving notice rarely produces more than a hicup, or it's a good opportunity to do some renovations.

Yeah I think i panicked for a bit there lol Thanks for your reply its calmed me a little haha.

I'm trying to get a hold of my PM.

Do you think i'll have time to organise to have a reno done? I might make a new thread in the adding value forum. thanks again

I think it depends on what you put into the lease contract? We've signed leases before where we had to give X weeks notice, or pay break fees, or continue paying rent until the a new tenant was found. Do you self-manage? If not, your property manager should know the answer.

Do you think i'll have time to organise to have a reno done?

The reno will end up taking longer than you expect. And possibly cost more than you expect.

Has the agent said the bathroom needs a reno? Will spending $5,000 or so result in a commensurate increase in rent?

I agree that you should find out whether its worth renovating. The rental market is pretty slow where my IPs are and the agents have told me not to bother with renos as it with increase the rent.

Off the top of my head you have to give them 8 weeks notice if you aren't renewing lease, they have to give you 2 weeks notice. It's best to check with them about 4 weeks before end of lease so you are more prepared. WA - Best to check the new tenancy act though!

Is this WA? The previous laws didn't actually require any notice of vacation at the end of a fixed term tenancy - from landlord or the tenant.

The new WA laws require a 30 day notice of termination, but this would only apply for any new fixed term tenancies starting from 1 July 2013. (or extensions)

Is this WA? The previous laws didn't actually require any notice of vacation at the end of a fixed term tenancy - from landlord or the tenant.

The new WA laws require a 30 day notice of termination, but this would only apply for any new fixed term tenancies starting from 1 July 2013. (or extensions)

Ignore my comments above and listen to thatbum, it's been a while since I've dealt with that stuff and I would get Pm's to ask 3-4 wks before end of lease anyway if they were renewing.

Hi

Thanks for all the replies. PM doesn't think it's worthwhile to Reno the bathroom as it looks ok. I won't get any more money anyhow if I were to get it done. I'm getting $280 pw ATM. She put forward a good case so I agree with her.

One of the other units in the complex that is also managed by my PM are asking $290 pw, it's renovated. I got a similar amount to that unit when we advertised previously 12 months ago I'm going to try my luck to get $300 pw & PM says she will point out my extra bench space and also my security alarm.

She will advertise mine soon and have an open for inspection showing people through both properties at once. I may be taking a bit of a gamble asking a bit more but I think it's worth taking the risk. Plus I'm not in any desperate need to have it leased. If I have to I can reduce it to $290. I'll see

Is it 30 day notice for tenant and landlord? I will get around to reading new laws one day.

Its for both actually - which creates a few odd situations. (For example, its sometimes quicker for a tenant to wait until the lease expiry date and give 21 days notice to leave).

Also, a tenant can leave without penalty anytime between the expiry date and the vacate date of the notice of termination.

Its for both actually - which creates a few odd situations. (For example, its sometimes quicker for a tenant to wait until the lease expiry date and give 21 days notice to leave).

Also, a tenant can leave without penalty anytime between the expiry date and the vacate date of the notice of termination.

Thanks! Will have to write out some notes some time to remember all the strange new rules! The incorrect notice periods I put in above were for Qld. Why does every state have To be different?? It gets confusing easily when you have properties in different states!

Back