Tenants have built a pergola

Don't you love it when your tenant does their own renovations?

I went for a drive past today expecting to see the property vacant - they are over 6 weeks in arrears) and instead found a new pergola and what looks like a fresh coat of paint on the weatherboards. And I thought the arrears were just going toward a new big screen tvs and a few cartons of bourbon and cola.

Maybe they thought they'd paid enough and they must own it by now.

Clearly not approved as they require the owners signature on the application.

We had one put in a very nice garden bed with timber edging when thry moved in along with about $50-$100 worth of plants. When they vacated though they left the garden bed but removed all the plants lol. I cant get my head around that, it is not as if they could just plonk them somewhere else once they are established and they will grow as if nothing happened.

If it's not approved, and needed approval, how does this impact on your public liability cover if it falls down and hurts/kills somebody, beachgurl?

It may not have required council approval if it's exempt development

It still needs to be built to standards.

Get a building certifier around to check that it's structurally sound and appropriate materials have been used (right specification treated pine, footings, etc). More concerned about your liability if it collapses and injures future tenants than council approval.

Reminds of the time i went and inspected a property to rent and the previous tenant (who was still there at the time) tried to sell me the pergola "he" built along with the slate floors to living/dining and the solid wooden doors he had installed throughout the house. After a good laugh i declined and he left them all behind anyway :)

If they're over 6 weeks behind, why are they still in the property?
I'd make sure they're out!

Unfortunately the government has a rule that they don't like to put poor non paying tenants out on the street at Christmas time, so tribunal/sheriff offices are closed for a few weeks. We got in the queue for tribunal prior to Christmas so hopefully next week we will be issued with a hearing date.

It was a hive of activity when I drove past yesterday. Not sure if they were building more extensions or preparing to pack up all of their stuff.

Unfortunately the government has a rule that they don't like to put poor non paying tenants out on the street at Christmas time, so tribunal/sheriff offices are closed for a few weeks. We got in the queue for tribunal prior to Christmas so hopefully next week we will be issued with a hearing date.

Ah, fair enough. That's unfortunate!

There are 2 things that need to be handled.
1. The arrears! If all appropriate forms have been served on time then all good. I don't think government departments have rules about "poor tenants and christmas...." but they are closed during public holidays. If forms are served on time then even the waiting can be claimed from insurance.

The second thing is the non approved additions to the property. Ensure that you are safeguarded and the tenants are sent a letter or email noting that they DID NOT HAVE APPROVAL for the additions.
the pergola may turn out ok for you if it is compliant, but you need to protect yourself in the case that it is not.

all above can be handled very easily and any losses can be claimed through insurance without a glitch.

Exactly, Id be sacking the agent 1st and booting out the tennant very closely behind.

Agent has shown incompetence and tennant non compliance on several matters.

What is it with PM's...???

How many threads are on here about hopeless PM's?

Id hate to try and count them all but it's so common how on earth anyone can think its best to leave it in their hands is beyond me.

Of course, I am not referring to the compliant and very good PM's, but its such a shame a fair few give this industry a bad name on behalf of Landlords.

There are 2 things that need to be handled.
1. The arrears! If all appropriate forms have been served on time then all good. I don't think government departments have rules about "poor tenants and christmas...." but they are closed during public holidays. If forms are served on time then even the waiting can be claimed from insurance.

The sheriffs department is shut from around 1 week before Christmas and opens again on the 5th. I think the tribunal is closed for a similar timeframe.

Back