Tenants Hot water question

I have just received my bi annual inspection report on which the property manager commented that the place was immaculate! She also enclosed photos which showed the pace gleaming and the gardens well cared for. I have recently rented to 2 middle aged long term renters with a large dog, who only moved from their last place as the land lord sold it. THis makes a huge change from the previous 2 tenants (18 and 20) who weren't a problem but didn't mow the lawn at all so I ended up getting complaint notices from the council.

Anyhoo the reason for this post is that they stated they had no hot water at night. I will obviously send a plumber round, but as it is an electric storage system I cant understand why there would be no hot water at night, but it is there for the rest of the time. For the record - 2 working tenants and a 150l electric storage system.

Any ideas?

mrsdawnrazor

Check what tariff the HWS is connected to. It may use the off-peak tariff that doesn't start heating until late at night. It's a simple matter to have it changed over - HW will be more expensive, but at least they'll have it!

Cheers
LynnH

The HWS 125l is too small for off peak operation, a couple of showers etc and its cold, and doesn't reheat untill the next night. Or there's a leak. I've found that in some instances, replacing the shwer head to a five star type, can solve the problem. if not, some options.

1. Bigger HWS min. 250l.
2. Rewire from off peak to peak power (more expensive peak electricity).
3. Install booster or DAY/NIGHT changeover switch.

I have the HWS with the booster so that I get overnight hot water at the low tariff and can use the booster during the day if I have additional people staying. It works really well.

I have just had a new HWS installed and made sure it had the booster.

Another problem with the overnight tariff is that if the power goes off the clock gets out of sync and needs to be reset.

Chris

I have two teen daughters and a young gf that sleeps over now and then. I often end up with a cold shower at night. Even quite late at night at 11pm or so.

What time does off peak actually kick in?

Ta

Kicks in at 11, give or take daylight savings.

I'm always up at that hour watching scifi with the nocturnal baby. Our electricity meter is in the lounge. Its a bit hard to miss it clicking over :)

Simon

I know that the time changes depending on whether there have been any power cuts, the electricity supply company often send someone round to check the clock. It has a seal on it, so they have to unlock it to re-set.

I once had a tenant who broke the seal and whenever they ran out of hot water used to go and adjust the clock. We received a warning from the Electricity Supply Company as the meter reader picked it up. They reset it and we had to tell the tenant not to break it. We explained about the booster and from then on did not have a problem.

Chris

we had the same problem with the last place we were renting...we would be having luke warm showers in the middle of winter and everytime we complained to the PM they just said there's nothing wrong with it till i demanded they send a plumber out.....the plumber said there's nothing actually wrong with it, its just a really small unit and also about the 'off peak' thing people have mentioned in previous posts.

because there was nothing 'technically' wrong with it we got hit with the bill for the plumber - we ended up agreeing to pay half only but thats another story.

Hi all

I had the same problem, no off peak tarriff, nothing actually wrong with the unit. Good tenant. So I changed the unit over for an instant one no problems now.

Keep in mind have only spent $6k on a quick reno 3 yrs ago and no real maintenance problems since. It cost me $850.00. and a very happy tenant...:D

Celests I am very interested in how you went changing over your unit to instant. Was this a gas one. I have been told you cant change over an existing unit to a new instant gas one as the existing pipes arent big enough to send enough gas into the unit. I would have thought if you put in new bigger pipes for say, the last 1mtr that would fill with gas and you would have enough pressure, but the plumber said no. I just wondered if that was because he wanted me to pay for relaying all new pipes. Was yours an instant gas, what trouble did you have?

Hi Celica

Just looked up the invoice, the $850 was a instant elect for an apartment, not the house.

I replaced the one at the house, this is from the invoice a "chromagen 150 litre electric boosted solar" $ 1300.00 now I do not remember having solar installed. So you must be able it use it with just electric.

There is no gas at this address, so the old one was electric.

Sorry about that, hard to remember everything, anyway no problems at all from the tenant now.:D

Back