Tenants paid 4 months in advance !!

Just got the rental statement from one of my properties. The tenants have now been there for 14 months - they are absolutely terrific tenants.
They are a couple in their fifties - keep the place spotless (even have made improvements to the garden in their time).
They have been getting further and further IN FRONT with the rent - today I got the statement and they paid up front 11 weeks - now up until 02/01/2006 :D :D
Anyone else ever had tenants this good??

Hi all.

Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, but what if you wanted to increase the rent on this place.

Would you commence the increase from 2/1/06?

Regards
Marty

perky29 said:
Just got the rental statement from one of my properties. The tenants have now been there for 14 months - they are absolutely terrific tenants.
They are a couple in their fifties - keep the place spotless (even have made improvements to the garden in their time).
They have been getting further and further IN FRONT with the rent - today I got the statement and they paid up front 11 weeks - now up until 02/01/2006 :D :D
Anyone else ever had tenants this good??

We have one tenant who paid one year in advance. Very quiet, in fact no one has seen him for a month and his neighbour was concerned.

Wife was down doing an inspection and two police came around to check his place out, seems he's been in alternative accomodation for the last month....

The place was neat and tidy.

See Change

Speaking of gift horses... I have a tenant who often pays some months in advance. And he is fond of the horses. So I figure when he has a good win, he pays up ahead to take advantage of the lean weeks

Yes, I have a tenant that paid up 6 months in advance as he's building a new house. The bad news is that he has completed the construction. I am now looking for new tenants.

kissfan said:
Hi all.

Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, but what if you wanted to increase the rent on this place.

Would you commence the increase from 2/1/06?

Regards
Marty

Hard to say Marty.
The lease is up in February, and who knows what the market rent will be in Kellyville at that time. The way they are going, I will probably keep it as is even if the market rent has gone up. Don't want to lose these guys.
However, they will definitely be getting those movie tickets at Christmas again :D

Hi Perky29
Great going. Best kind of erratic payers you can get. I've had a few and they are a mixed bag.
I have a suggestion. Just to keep them on track for later, advise the PM to send them a "nil rent owing and thank you very much" letter each month advising them (of what they already know) that the rent is already paid for the next month. Each letter will arrive like a commendation and a thank you and will ensure they keep the habit of paying rent on a regular basis.
It would be a good time to reciprocate with any improvements or upgrades or delayed repairs you may have been considering.
How nice to have such good tenants, what a pleasure they are.
cheers :)
crest133

Dubious

I am always dubious of renters who pay 6 months in advance etc.

Could be using your property to grow the weedy stuff.

toony said:

My tenant who sometimes pays in advance is 80+ yo. I would be quite surprised if he's into that sort of stuff.

But it could be medicinal- for his eyesight.

toony said:

LOL :D :D
No chance of that. I personally inspected in late June, every nook and cranny. :) Besides, I know exactly what that stuff looks like, having seen some friends grow it when I was at school (20 years ago - god I feel old all of a sudden).

Perhaps they are borderline failing an asset test from Centrelink? Paying rent in advance like that would be an effective way of decreasing your cash on hand while still keeping its true value.

Back