Tenants purchased property - what is fair compensation for the agent

Mums you gotta love them ;)

Grats on the out come. I might make a point that if they try to screw with you next time (if you keep business with that that is) you are one phone call away. They can imply what they like :D

Last edited:
Whatever it is, I'd say the final outcome should be the involvement of the police!

Agreed.

They bothered to drive your mum to the bank to take money out.. BEFORE calling you and asking you? I'm sorry but even if you have a pushy 'customer' you need to go by the book and speak to the OWNER of the property!

l dont think l could stop myself from ringing the ATO and asking how long has it been since business could charge you cash and not worry about receipts or GST or anything , and can l get my boss to pay me in cash like the agent does !! LOL

Gotta keep your eye out for the clause in the sale agreement that states the agent is entitled to his commission if the contract exchanges but doesn't go to settlement.

Which basically means you ahve to pay commission but your house doesn't sell. Great!

I have come across it a couple of times and had it deleted, sometimes grudgingly.

Thanks for the updates.

I was just thinking the other day, you have already paid the agent for introducing these people to you. The initial leasing fee. After this stage they 'already knew' you.

The agent has being paid to introduce the tenant to you in a leasing arrangement. You now know this tenant and you do business directly with them.

However you also pay the agent to manage the property on a ongoing basis. (which was an optional service)

If the tenant wants to buy something from you, then there is no reason for you to pay the agent a fee to sell the property as you never requested this service from them or agreed upon it.

If the agent introduced someone else to you who wanted to buy the property, then I accept you should pay a commission, however since you already have a relationship with the tenant, its none of the agents business how that relationship transpires. The agent doesn't hold the rights to your property's sale just because they manage it.

Will the agent also ask commission from each tradesman they call out to do repairs on your property? No. Management rights dont = selling commission

Last edited:
Gotta keep your eye out for the clause in the sale agreement that states the agent is entitled to his commission if the contract exchanges but doesn't go to settlement.

Which basically means you ahve to pay commission but your house doesn't sell. Great!

I have come across it a couple of times and had it deleted, sometimes grudgingly.

Correct me if im wrong.. but there WASN'T a sale agreement

If this is so, I will repeat over and over for dramatic affect

NO AGENCY AGREEMENT FOR THE SALE OF PROPERTY = NO LIABILITY

THE AGENCY HAS NO RIGHT TO YOUR MONEY. end of story.

THE AGENCY HAS NO RIGHT TO YOUR MONEY. end of story.

I was just about to post exactly that while listening to a real estate agent on the radio. Someone rang in with this very question! And the Real Estate Agent said that there were several elements required to conduct a lawful sale transaction, and if there is not a proper Agency Agreement in place then the seller does not have to pay any commission, advertising, nada!

I think it is quite funny, now that the market is much more difficult to sell in, that Agents are whinging about how hard they have to work. Before, it was a matter of getting the person to sign the contract to sell, organising (others) to write the advertising and getting the customer to pay for it (while ensuring their Logo was prominently displayed); holding one or two open inspections, and then signing off on the contract. Wham Bam $10,000 thank you very much! For maybe a day's work. Then the conveyancer did all the hard work.

Exactly Pushka, totally agree. Now the agents actually have to go out there and earn their money. Personally I want to see their commisions slashed. I certainly would not pay them $10k to sell my house. I rather do it myself.

Legally - if you didnt have a signed sale agreement with them - you dont owe them one cent. Morally i'd fling them a check for a thousand bucks for making a phone call. With a note saying "legally you are not obliged to pay them but as a gesture of goodwill heres $1000" That should do it.

Asking for 1.8% on their part without an agreement is a bit rude. Looks like an ambit claim to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambit_claim

LOL!! :D

Are you and I one person in two different bodies?

Back