tenants shifting out

my rental property is rented to 3 single people under a lease .approximately 4 months ago 30 days notice was given to vacate and one shifted out after 2 weeks and returned the keys to the real estate and the other 2 fought this in tribunal and are now vacating in about 2 weeks time owing about 6 weeks rent and $500 in water bills....When claiming the bond and any cleaning ,damages etc do i claim against the 3 on the lease or the 2 left who gave me grief and are the ones responsible for unpaid rent and water? Has anyone had experience with this situation i would like to know......Likewise when claiming landlords insurance when 1 has gone and the other 2 stayed and fought.

we had a couple split and he moved out with an restraining order against him. Difficult decision given what had happened but we still had a responsibility to our bank so offered the following.

She signs a new 12 month lease, condition report is done, once repaired to standard it was or compensation paid he could be removed off the lease.

She terminates, condition report is done as per exit and both are joint liable.

We had to be firm as otherwise no insurance if it all goes pear shaped.

I would do the same here basically just because 1 tenant moved out and handed in keys doesn't mean they didn't smash their room up, leav ehte place a mess and they are still liable for rent right up until termination they choose to sign the lease with the other tenants you didn't force them.

I can only speak for properties in QLD however if the lease is in three names, then each party is responsible for a third of all damages, rent arrears, etc.
Seems unfair however that's the law.

If the person who left first feels hard done by they can always take legal action against the other two.
A.

I can only speak for properties in QLD however if the lease is in three names, then each party is responsible for a third of all damages, rent arrears, etc.
Seems unfair however that's the law.

If the person who left first feels hard done by they can always take legal action against the other two.
A.

I disagree. You need to refer to the conditions of the lease.

Co-tenants are jointly and severally liable for their responsibilities under the tenancy agreement.

Disagreements between tenants are not generally the concern of the landlord.

VCAT is slightly different.

Back