Tenants slack in paying water bill

My tenants (Brisbane) always have to be badgered to pay the water usage and I always have to badger my PM to badger them. I was going to ditch the agent for being slack but then got a new PM who seemed on the ball when I grizzled to her about these tenants. However, I've just realised it's happened again and I'm not happy!

I may get a new agent but I'm not sure that doing that will solve the problem because the tenants will still need to be booted up the backside at least two or three times after receiving the bill. Where do I go with this as far as the tenants are concerned? ie what can I do to make them pay what is owed and in a reasonable time frame?

Also, am I able to get Urban Utilities to send the water usage to the tenant and leave me alone, as happens in Victoria? At this stage I'm receiving the bill, scanning it and sending it to my PM

Also, am I able to get Urban Utilities to send the water usage to the tenant and leave me alone, as happens in Victoria? At this stage I'm receiving the bill, scanning it and sending it to my PM

Your name is on the bill. If the tenant is slow to pay you, imagine what they're going to do with a bill that's not even in their name.

It would be silly to get that part of the bill sent to them with my name still on it....it would have to be in their name.
I don't have an issue with my property in Victoria, so I suspect the tenant there receives that part of the bill with their name on it? My question is, do Urban Utilities do a similar thing in Qld? How does it work in other states?

It would be silly to get that part of the bill sent to them with my name still on it....it would have to be in their name.
I don't have an issue with my property in Victoria, so I suspect the tenant there receives that part of the bill with their name on it? My question is, do Urban Utilities do a similar thing in Qld? How does it work in other states?

No. Simple answer. You have to do what you are doing and hope they pay up.

this may affect their credit rating...

perhaps the Property manager doesn't realise that this may affect the tenants credit rating....

not now, but in future, when they want to buy a new car, or a house.....
;)

maybe that will encourage them into action?

not completely sure,
but I hope this helps!
cheers

Too True Doova..

Just thought of another angle.

When the slow paying tenants want to move they will have a reference, which says, slow paying....

maybe this will help?

Cheers

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice.

Wylie, at least now I know that the way I'm doing these bills is the only way - thanks. Great information SeafordSunshine about a reference and their credit rating. I'll email my PM about that and see how we go.

Doovalacky, I actually receive and pay the bill, then scan it and send it to the PM for collection of the tenant's portion, so my credit rating is OK.

The easiest way is to set up a direct debit for rent and for water.
Send them a notice two weeks before it will be debited from their account.

Easy peesy.

Cheers.

My tenant hasn't paid their water bill for 4 months now and we didn't hear back despite numerous attempts to contact them, so agent sent them a termination notice for non payment of water bill. Tenant surprisingly replied and sent a(nother) payment plan.

Is it possible to do that for yours? My property is in NSW

Back