Tenants Union - Victoria

Just thought I would share this one.

Victorian tenants union has just launched a wonderful little date base for tenants to use against properties and owners and agents.

Tenants are now able to list or blacklist the above without recourse. If they dont like you or you have chased them for rent arrears and annoyed them they can blacklist you as an individual, company or property owner :eek:

On the other hand Agents, owners etc are not able to blacklist tenants or comment on tenants poor past behaviour if their bond covers anything outstanding at the end of the tenancy. If the outstanding amount exceeds the bond then you can list them but you must give them 14 day opportunity in writing to allow them to rectify. Heaven forbid if they trash a property, do a runner, havent paid rent and VCAT process has taken 2 months to filter through, even after all that you can only list them for 2 years as poor tenants.

Not quite understanding the balance here :confused:

Do PM's have access to this data base? Would be a fair call to say if I had tenants apply who are known to have 'blacklisted' a previous landlord I would reject their application immediately.

Interesting. Seems kinda fair and I can see their point, but in reality it'll be pretty useless. As if anyone renter is going to search the database prior to applying for a property. Also, I'd bet the bank the number of bad tenants out there FAR exceeds the number of bad landlords.

Bad renters and bad landlords seem to find each other on Gumtree easily enough already.

They're only at $2830 out of $30000, it's being crowd funded, so doesn't appear to be with government funds

Back