Tenants & Water Bills

I have just received a bill for my water for the last quarter and it is over $120 more than what it would normally be as I had grown a new lawn and watered the garden over the summer. Now I'm about to rent this house out and I'm wondering if the tenants can pay for excess water usage while they lease the property? There is veggie gardens and new lawns so they might also use a lot of water as they have children etc too. This is in the Port Stephens council area. What do others do regarding water usage? I would hate to get a huge bill in 3 months time for water from the tenants.

Not sure if it's the same where you are but in South Australia tenants are liable to pay both supply charge for the water + all water usage.

The water usage can only be charged when the metre is actually read though which is every 6 months on your water bill. It doesn't include the approximate price based on your property value.

This is also providing that the property has it's own water metre and it is written in your tenancy agreement.

As mentioned, your property manager should be well aware of this!

Yep, s.19 of the Residential tennancies act . PM should know this, you shouldn't have to tell them.

As mentioned, your property manager should be well aware of this!

I'm sure my PM is well aware of it, I'm sure not why you both think they are not?

I have not even started a lease or hired a PM for this property yet but I show them this coming week the property and then will get started.

I think it would be different here in NSW regarding the charges.

Last edited:
In NSW, as long as the property has a sep. water meter then you pass the water useage account onto your tenants to pay (via your PM if you have one).

In NSW, as long as the property has a sep. water meter then you pass the water useage account onto your tenants to pay (via your PM if you have one).

Yes it has a meter as it's a house and has one in the front lawn. Anayway thanks for confirming it is like this for NSW.

Back