tenants who don't pay

So we have a family living in our townhouse. The property is managed by a professional PM. Obviously they did a bad job at screening and we now have tenants who do not pay rent on time. The payment we do receive are sporadic. They are currently 17 days in arrears. Two notices of termination have been sent. With the latest with a vacate date this Friday.

They are also being taken to tribunal for breaching strata by-laws.

I have told the PM to proceed to tribunal to have them removed.
They have 3 more months on their lease before it runs out.

The PM tells me they are doing all they can, they have even been to the property several times as the tenants would not return calls or txts. Last time they managed to catch up with the tenants they were asked to leave the property.

Any tips on how to manage this situation? How to I put pressure on my PM to get things done without ******* her off.

As a bonus, the ducted air con unit is apparently broken and needs replacement. So that will cost thousand of dollars to replace :(

Thx

Looks like you PM is doing everything they can (and more) within the regulations they are bound to work with.

Keep an eye on the situation, but leave them alone to do their job. They can't simply kick tenants out if they are not in breach of the leasing contract - and some tenants are very clever on working out how they can avoid a breach ... by paying their rent at a certain moment in the termination process or working the tribunal with sob stories etc.

If possible - delay fixing the aircon if you can ... do you know why it doesn't work? Was it the tenants fault or perhaps an install fault? A repairer should be able to tell you this.

I can assure you that if the PM is half professional, they are doing everything they can to remove your tenant- for their own sanity as well as yours!
Just ensure they keep you up to date with the situation, I wouldn't be pressuring them for anything else.

Out of curiosity, when the tenant was accepted for the property- what information did they provide you before asking for your final approval?

when the tenant was accepted for the property- what information did they provide you before asking for your final approval?

Ouch - great question. They screened, but who approved ?

Any tips on how to manage this situation?

This question naturally assumes that you are in a position to manage.

As the Owner of residential property, falling under the RTA, I would contend you are not.

If they have a Lease over the property, it is their townhouse, not yours.

There is no such thing as a professional property manager. It's right up there with friendly Personal Bankers who are there to help you, and real estate agents who put your interests first.

The ends dont justify the means in Property management,

ive had one perfect paying tenant, resign a 12 month lease after a 6 month trial one,

at the 9month mark of the 12 months, they went feral, no break up, family with 2 kids, stopped paying rent, abuses the PM, threatened to burn down the house, the complaint list is now pages long, from snakes in the property, to termites, to health problems to switchboard blowing up every two weeks,

theyve now left without paying rent and bills and a bit of a mess

Agent approved them, I approved them, stuff happens

I dont blame the agent

The ends dont justify the means in Property management,

ive had one perfect paying tenant, resign a 12 month lease after a 6 month trial one,

at the 9month mark of the 12 months, they went feral, no break up, family with 2 kids, stopped paying rent, abuses the PM, threatened to burn down the house, the complaint list is now pages long, from snakes in the property, to termites, to health problems to switchboard blowing up every two weeks,

theyve now left without paying rent and bills and a bit of a mess

Agent approved them, I approved them, stuff happens

I dont blame the agent

I wish my tenants would burn down a house so I could get a big fat paycheck and build a new one :D

I can assure you that if the PM is half professional, they are doing everything they can to remove your tenant- for their own sanity as well as yours!
Just ensure they keep you up to date with the situation, I wouldn't be pressuring them for anything else.

Hi Tom,

What do you mean by "half professional"?
Thanks.

Ask your PM if they terminated with a section 89(5).

The law isn't particularly favorable to you in this situation. It's best that you get the tenants out of the premise as soon as possible and find new and more financially reliable ones. Cheers

Personally, I don't give much chance for tenants who are consistently in arrears. Once you allow a tenant to become in arrears on a couple of occasions it's almost saying it's acceptable.

I try and educate my owners and usually follow through on the 2nd termination notice regardless of whether arrears have been rectified during that time.

Back