Tenants with animals

I allow pets in all my properties, actually I even advertise "pet friendly". In fact if I have one application with pets and one without I would rather accept the one with the pet all things being equal.

52,000 dogs were euthanised in NSW alone last year (yes you read correctly Fifty Two Thousand) healthy dogs that ended up in the pound and were killed as they had no home to go to.

Pets need homes too. If we as landlords don´t allow pets in our homes then more pets end up in the pounds as their owners cannot find accomodation.

To date I have not had an issue with pets, have had issues with some tenants but not pet related.

There have been bonuses to renting to pet owners, tenants are happy that they have found accomodation that welcomes their pets and tend to become long term tenants. I allow pets in the house also.

If you would like to do something to help save a dog from the pound, please visit www.doggierescue.com.au , there are many ways you can help including becoming a foster carer, walking the dogs, etc.

Pets need homes

I allow pets in all my properties, actually I even advertise "pet friendly". In fact if I have one application with pets and one without I would rather accept the one with the pet all things being equal.

52,000 dogs were euthanised in NSW alone last year (yes you read correctly Fifty Two Thousand) healthy dogs that ended up in the pound and were killed as they had no home to go to.

Pets need homes too. If we as landlords don´t allow pets in our homes then more pets end up in the pounds as their owners cannot find accomodation.

To date I have not had an issue with pets, have had issues with some tenants but not pet related.

There have been bonuses to renting to pet owners, tenants are happy that they have found accomodation that welcomes their pets and tend to become long term tenants. I allow pets in the house also.

If you would like to do something to help save a dog from the pound, please visit www.doggierescue.com.au , there are many ways you can help including becoming a foster carer, walking the dogs, etc.

I believe you have a point here.

Pit bull

Hi Jerry,
One of my tenants moved into my property with two dogs - without my approval. I wasn't fazed by the cute little doggy but the aggressive pit bull cross made me very nervous.
What are our obligations, as landlords, if the dog attacks a child/person on our property?
Could we be sued?
Regards,
Crystal

Pit bull is dangerous. In my opinion the pet owner has a sole responsible for the dog.

Geoff, allowing cats in your IP could be a CATastrophe.
It's not the walls you should be worried about. Try the curtains, the blinds, the carpet. Not to mention the smell left behind if they do their business.

The post below also covers this topic.
http://http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51929

Personally I prefer not to have pets. A previous tenant had a kelpie pup in a unit (claimed they were only looking after it while mum was away for a few days. CR*P. Neighbour filled me in on true story). Anyway, it damn near chewed everything. At least the bond covered it.

I have a current tenant who has 2 maltese dogs (again by stelth) however they appear so far to be more responsible with the property. Except for the damn wild turtles in the bathtub.

It's hard to police if you relax the rules. FACT: Yes they always promise it won't go inside, but it will happen.

A mate of mine upon accepting a new tenant advises of xtra $10 p/wk charge to cover xtra wear & tear if they have a pet-his insurance policy. If they're not happy, don't sign lease and find another place.

Project 1080.

The project: 10 IPs in 80 mths.

I remember in my Residental Tenancy Lectures, the lecturer , made a special point about the fact that it is not legal to stop a tenant from keeping animals on the property.

Now before you all jump on me saying that that "My lease says" and "my property manager said"... I know what is in leases, and I know what property managers tell ppl, but I am just telling you what is in the legislation. (I would probably put a no-pet clause in a lease too, just for it's bluff factor!!)

There is nothing in the legislation that prohibits pets. The only thing that can stop pets is a local law, ie: if they have 4 dogs and the council says 2 dogs, you can get them to remove 2 dogs.

If a tenant takes the matter to the tribunal they will win. Unless the pets are damaging the property, then the tenant can be ordered to make restitution...

The lecturer I had was a consultant to the Residential tenancies tribunal...

All I can say is thank goodness 99% of tenants don't realise that a no-pets clause is unenforceable...

(Please remember, this is RE: VIC Legislation, and all usual disclaimers apply)

asy :D

In NSW and the ACT (as far as I am aware) this is definitely not the case. Although there is no legislation prohibiting pets, if it is specified and signed off in a tenancy agreement, the tenancy tribunnal will uphold the LL rights in terminating a tenancy or allowing the tenant to retify the breach of tenancy by getting rid of the pet. If however the tribunnal has reason to believe that the LL (or the pm) did in fact have knowledge of the animal on the premises but failed to do anything about it for a period of time, then the tribunal will likely find that this amounted to consent on behalf of the LL and thus NOT a breach of agreement.

Whilst renting in the ACT we were actually required to sign a form that stated we did not have any pets, which was then lodged with the ACT tribunnal. We later aquired pets and asked for permission from the REA on numerous occaisions, they stated that they thought it should be OK and that they would get in touch with the LL about it - but they never actually had a yes or no answer for us. We also know that the LL did have knowledge of our pets as he used to live around the corner from us and used to walk by regularly to check on the property. They were aware we had pets, and had basically given permission by not informing us otherwise.

I have told this story before (possibly on this thread?) but a good friend has parents who rent the house next door through an agent. Tenants don't know the owners live next door. Each time an inspection is due, the tenants pack up the dog/s into a car and take them somewhere for the day while the inspection is done, then they bring them back.

All the while the owners are looking down at this happening :rolleyes: and tenants are thinking they are "getting away with it". Of course, the owners could kick up a stink, but obviously they don't bother.

We welcome pets into our IPs. None of them have carpets and nothing really that a dog could hurt, except scratched paintwork on doors. We have one situation now where a dog has scratched the door and I have told the tenants when they leave they are welcome to paint it themselves, get a painter in to do it, or I will keep $100 of their bond for the door. They are happy with this.

A reply to the first post - do cat's scratch paintwork? No. No. and No. They will scratch the carpet though if you have it. My strategy is to allow small pets only ie small dogs and cats and specify that the carpet must be professionally cleaned to erase any "evidence" of pets indoors. This has worked well so far as most people where I have my property have pets ie families with kids. Speaking of which - is it possible to have a "child" levy? I find that small humans do much more damage than small animals!
Totally agree here, being a CAT LOVER and always had a cat or two.
Cats tend to scratch their own furniture, it's something to do with their smell and territory. Ie the furniture and beds that go with them.
Walls and skirting never seen a cat scratch, too smooth my guess, would prefer a tress outside.
As for curtains, mainly only kittens that love to attack anything. Curtains aren't stable enough to scratch their claws.
The only things my cats have ruined have been fly screen :rolleyes: we have always replaced it ( in rentals) and we use the pet friendly screen, more expensive, but cat claws wont cut through it.
Hi all,

Interesting thread - thanks for starting it Geoff.

So what about small dogs and cats where the house has polished floors ?

Could you put a condition in about re-polishing floors if there are scratches ?

Would there be another alternative ?

PIppety
:p
I believe you have to account for normal wear and tear here, if it was excessive, i guess you could, but it could just come back done to wear and tear.
Shoes, toys and furniture are great for doing this to the floor

Back