Tennant threatening legal action over lock

Hi Guys

Im a new property manager taking care of a few family properties - Ive got a tennant in an appartment we just bought, when she signed a new agreement we mentioned we would replace the front door as it looks old and a bit flimsey - i looked into this & the cost was quite high so we changed our minds - now the tennant is angry at this and is threateneing to take us to the tribunal - She claims its dangerous and unsafe - ive inspected it 3 times and it looks fine to me, its the same door as everyone else in the appartment block - and the only fault i can find is that the lock is a bit shakey - but still perfectly workable.

Im just wodering what my obligations are?

Im a little out of my depth here & would love some advice.

thanks allot!
michael

Thanks Simon - So do you advice i just do what she says?

Personally i think the door looks fine - i think she is just bitter that when we bought the place we increased the rent to its market value.

Ok - it seams like aresounding 'yes' to replacing the lock - thanks so much for the advice guys

Just for future refrence - do you guys think i should do this just to keep her happy? or am i legally responibile to fix this shakey lock?

Thanks again guys - i appreciate the advice.

It's about; good business (keeps tennant happy for small price), risk management (they're already threatening legal action, what would happen if they got robbed) & integrity (don't go back on your word, you said you'd replace it so do it).

Ok - it seams like aresounding 'yes' to replacing the lock - thanks so much for the advice guys

Just for future refrence - do you guys think i should do this just to keep her happy? or am i legally responibile to fix this shakey lock?

Thanks again guys - i appreciate the advice.

Don't promise then not deliver. If that was the bargain you made with the tenant then you should stick to your word. So yes, you should keep her happy and do the right thing.

Cheers,

Bazza

a happy customer is a repeat customer, simple rule.
Think of it like this, this person wan'ts to pay you morgtage off for you, how would you thank them and keep them happy??

Yes - you all right (now that i think about it) I did verbally agree to replace the door. And now that i put myself in her shoes i suppose it would be frustrating.

Just another quick question about replacing the whole door - its very costly, and since its the same doors as everyone else in the appartment - can i just replace the shakey lock? is this seen as acceptable?

Ive already bent over backwards for this tennant (painted and de-rusted her grill door - cleaner her oven that she claimed was smoking because of rust (turned out it was just exreamly filthy) - all to keep her happy - but i guess ive only got my self to blame because i promised these things.

Cheers again!
michael

If the door is in good condition but shabby, I would paint it and get a new lock on. If it needs replacing because it is falling apart, I would replace it.

If the door is the same as the other doors in the complex but just needs painting, explain to her that you have looked into it, and the door is solid, but the lock needs fixing or replacing, and do that.

Maybe remind her that you cleaned her dirty oven and the other things you have done. Tell her you didn't realise that the door was okay, but just shabby.

If she doesn't like it, she can leave at the end of the lease.

I wouldn't let the legal threatening deter me - those threats are usually as weak as water. Threatening is one thing - lawyers are past masters at that. It's the first thing they do. Actually enforcing some action is a whole different ball of wax. Takes lotsa time and lotsa money for usually very little benefit.

However.....

If you promised to replace it, and looked her in the eye when you stated as such, before she moved in - then out of principle I would replace it for her.

Lesson learnt I suppose is don't go around promising things to people if you don't have the wherewithal to back up your promises with either cash or actions.

Ive already bent over backwards for this tenant (painted and de-rusted her grill door -

Your Grill door

cleaner her oven that she claimed was smoking because of rust (turned out it was just extremely filthy)

Shouldn't the last tenant have cleaned on vacating and the PM ensured it was done?

Shouldn't a new tenant expect a clean oven when they move in?

- all to keep her happy - but i guess ive only got my self to blame because i promised these things.

Exactly

Dave

Thank you Daz & thank you Willy - great advice there.

Yes i looked her in the eye and said i would replace the door - i dont know why i didnt feel bad going back on my word - i think because she has been a real pain in the *** may be the reason.

Now that i think on it, its not professional - so thanks for the lesson guys!

I do feel for her a bit - we come in - increase the rent by a lot - and give her nothing in return. Even so im kind of wishing we just got a new tennant from the start at a higher rent. We kept her and gave her a slightly reduced rent because she has been there for 5 years and thought she deserved it.

Next time im taking the business approach and not going with the heart. (expect when resolving disputes right!?)

To boatboy - shes not a new tennant but was the original one when we bought it - so it was her filth in the oven that i was cleaning. When we bought - we gave her the option to move out, or take it at the new price - she took it but said she would move out asap. Just recently she resigned a new contract ( i guess she realised she was still getting a good deal after look at what else there is avaialable), this is when i promioed a new door.

If i didnt go over myself and clean the oven, thuis proving that the small ammounts of rust wernt to blame for the smoke being produced every time she turned it on, im sure she would have included that on the threateneing email she just sent me.

It is like the old retail saying...the customer is always right.....
I have had enough experience in this game to realize the wisdom in that statement.
I would rather be happy then right every time. It would be a real buzz to be both though....lol
the big picture is not to do with tenants but the asset itself. The tenant helps you support the asset financially.
respect that point! that's my opinion...but what would I know.....lol
you are the one with the problem.....lol
Happy endings is my specialty!
Have a good one.

It sounds like you shouldn't have renewed the contract.

QFT!~ she was fine until she resigned. The funny thing is the moment she re-signed the contract, she turned nasty, dragging me around the appartment demanding every little thing to be fixed. I admit im very new to this - so i may have been way to forthcomming with promises to fix everything.

@Simon - I think your right - id much rather be happy & stress free, and this situation is just getting worse & worse. BUT, how far do you go to keep a tennant happy? IMO, the lock and door is fine and im wasting money on a tradesmen, the only reason im sending one over is because shes upset!?

My inner businessman is screaming not to back down but my heart (and this forums advice) is saying make her happy.

She should have done her due diligence. If she was a new tenant then no way. She rents the place as is.

But if she's a longer term tenant, then maybe the condition of the lock has deteriorated over time.

Now that you have been advised the lock is possibly faulty, and you also mentioned at the start it was going to be replaced, if anything happens to them (break in, invasion etc) you are now responsible. And even your Insurance Company may not like it!

Back