Tennats ignoring phonecalls/rent

what that mean jaycee ?

i dont like PM
i dont feel they doing a good job
i dont like the first experience with my first PM attitude and digrace behaviour, absolutely disgusting 2 faced double edged knife ******, i wont name company or name but i just have no trust in them.

i dont feel that picking up rent and making a few phonecalls and shoving a couple of papers worth 8. % of my rental...

this does not include mantenaice fee and exit fee lol.

what that mean jaycee ?

i dont like PM
i dont feel they doing a good job
i dont like the first experience with my first PM attitude and digrace behaviour, absolutely disgusting 2 faced double edged knife ******, i wont name company or name but i just have no trust in them.

i dont feel that picking up rent and making a few phonecalls and shoving a couple of papers worth 8. % of my rental...

this does not include mantenaice fee and exit fee lol.

So you had and bad experience with a PM - I think that all property investors have these.

I see you had 2 choices - appoint a new PM that you checked out (there are good ones out there you know) or to self manage, you chose to self manage which is fair enough a lot chose this road, but in order to self managed you should have a good understanding of the law and both your rights and the tenants rights.

Now you are up ***** creek without a paddle and don't have a clue how to fix it, the thing is no one else is going to fix it for you, you are going to have to do this yourself.

This is an opportunity for you to learn from your mistakes and educate yourself.

The next 2 months are going to be terrible, you are going to have a lot of sleepless nights, and you may do things that you later regret.

I suggest that you seek professional advice, not here on this forum but legal help.

BTW: It’s going to cost you a lot more that 8%

Are you aware that a Landlords Association of SA exists? Consider becoming a member for around $80 the first year and about $50 per year after that.

They can advise and assist you to learn the ropes so to speak from how to pick your tenants to how to deal with these types of problems and they are there solely for the landlord.

It's a bit like asking Q like you do here but they will know exactly what you need to do relevant to SA.

In Western Australia, we have a document called the "Residential Tenancies Act" which can be purchased from the government printing office. They also sell a book called the "Landlord's Handbook" which gives advice on the different options that are available to tenants and landlords in the situation that is being described in this thread....both have been very valuable for me as a private landlord for the last 13 years....maybe something similar is available in South Australia?

Atti, it seems like you have made some reasonable, informal attempts at contacting your tenant to discuss the late rent payment.

If I were you, I would start issuing breach notices to your tenant in the ways specified in the Residential Tenancies Act for South Australia.

I would also buy a diary and keep a record of everything that you do or say to this tenant.

Good luck

Glenn

But as you are discovering, it is not just about "picking up rent, a few phone calls etc"..... it's about issuing notices, keeping up with legal changes, appearing at tribunal hearings, aranging tradies, putting in insurance claims......

Cheers,

The Y-man

Atti,

If you really want to get in then here is an easy solution.

Go to the property. On your inspection decide if it is vacant or not. Notify gas company of smell of gas possibly coming from unit. Turn the gas and electricity off if outside access to prevent any explosions. Inform police you are entering your property as there is strong smell of gas and to secure the property and ask them to register in DLB. You can enter your property if you think abandonment and there is a need to secure the property and make it safe. The tenant even if still there will have a hard time complaining about you entering due to the above reason.

Side note: Cans of butane can easily be brought from any hardware store and smell when emptied. You don't need to go this far but is always an option.

Get onto the Residential Tenancies site in SA. Have you got a set of keys. It might be a bit late now, but send them an letter saying you are conducting an inspection within 7 days and go in.
I would take someone with you, and if they happen to be there be very nice.

Then once the matter is sorted get a PM.

I may add that most PM's won't take it on at the moment because of the present problems, if you are able to rectify the issues with the tenant without termination - great, as soon as you do give it to a PM.

So true, most property managers wont touch it at the moment. But as a PM if you are prepared to try it then at the end you will have a landlord who has a fair amount of faith in your skills. I took on three that i can remember one year when i was doing a senior property manager job and we were overstaffed...

One i got the money and the tenant evicted... the other two end up doing runners and we never saw the cash.... but all landlords are still clients, and now that i am in sales i have sold two properties for one of them, and got several extra managements of theirs and from referrals.... and they all still call me for advice.

So the pain of dealing with the problems has been very rewarding in the end.

whats a DLB ? can police be witness that the tenant hasnt been in property for a while and provide me something to show the tribunal so i can put new tenants in asap ? i will be organising police attendance tonight.

to : PM guy in last post, i think if u willing to take on the problem and got some sales afterwards your in the right business, people that wont tackle these problems shouldnt be in the PM business seriously, good on you for taking the opportunity and rewards more then worth it see.

Omg just as i expected, i suspected that he was growing dope, i had that gut feeling when he keeps delaying the inspection.....

cops wiped their hands clean, wont even give me a report or investigation, said its all civil matter and left , didnt even take photograph or do a report...

WHO WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF MY HOUSE NOW WITH MASSIVE HOLES DOPE SETUP DL:KSJFLKSDJFKLDSJ

great way to start the new years.....

cops wiped their hands clean, wont even give me a report or investigation, said its all civil matter and left , didnt even take photograph or do a report...

WHO WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF MY HOUSE NOW WITH MASSIVE HOLES DOPE SETUP
Darn. I'm guessing the dope was already removed, and just the damage left? Because otherwise I'm assuming if the marijuana was still there, the police would be interested.

I'd love to see pics - though I'm sorry it's such a horror story for you. :(

What checking did you do on this tenant prior to letting? If "not much", I'm not going to say "I told you so" - promise! I'm just curious as to how these guys work, for my own education. I'm wondering if they target private landlords who don't ask too many questions... Or did this guy have all the ID, job, etc check out OK?

DLB Daily Log Book located at front counter.

Vandalism is not civil and you have every right to ask them to investigate. Ring the OIC officer in charge or ask for a District Superintendent. Sometimes the officers will try to fob you off in this situation but stick to your guns. A crime has been committed and they should take details and give you an incident report. Otherwise ask for the officers names and numbers and inform them they may be called as witness to any tribunals or courts unless they give you a report as they saw the damage and the insurance company wants their details. Get straight on to your insurance company and advise them that you wanted apolice report and weren't able to get one. They may follow it up for you as it helps them later when trying to recover costs.

Hints:

1) Start a diary and keep a record of all correspondence, phone calls etc. Include names, dates, and times. If you speak to any insurance staff, assessors or police get their names and numbers.

2) Take as many photos as you can and get some independent quotes for repairs, painting etc ASAP.

SDKLFJSD is my fustration, take into account i am new to this, i've only joined this forum like 3 weeks ago, i've only started to rent out my house 6 months go, i am young and gotta admit not very knowledgable at these sort of things.

i think i will take some sleepign pills right now go to have a good sleep before sorting out this mess tomorow.

ozper i didnt do any checks as i was in a rush to get new tenants in because i am unemployed [broken wrist] atm and living with momy :eek: first tenants was good for months. i didnt do any checks i advertise my place for rent 230 and he offered 250 p/w so i couldnt refuse gotta blame mum too because she picked him because she didnt like pets, i woulda choosed the old guy with a dog but he informed that the dog will be staying inside thats why we kinder opted for single guy offered higher rent. guess i was abit greedy =\

not only insurance but now i am in big trouble with bank if i dont fix this fast and find new tenants as ive got mortgage to pay and dole alone wont cut it. hence i decided to put my house up forsale too..

Here are the photos i've taken with my N95 hope its ok.... that dude just uprooted and left i think i'll have to sort advice from insurance company.

-cracked window
-new vinal floor has all been ripped up,
-poored something in the bathtub ate away ceramics
-Holes everywhere in main bedroom walls, floors, ceilings and outside house
-paint scratched
-lawn not looked after, roses are dead and the back is basically a mess which i havent been bothered to take picture yet.
-i guess all the locks needs to be changed now that he still has set of keys..
grrr just went out made new keys for tenant too...
-i hope they havent damaged any air con copper pipes in the roof as i've only had brand new fujitsu air con put in costed me 2 grand.......

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm306/AETUDE/phone/

Oh gosh, atti, I'm so sorry.

I hope you chose your insurance policy with more care than your tenant; some landlord insurance policies won't cover self-managed properties, or will only cover you if you've done certain background checks on the tenants.

In any case, it could have been a lot worse; get this stuff fixed, get a PM (or get informed!), and get a new tenant in. The damage actually isn't as extensive as I thought it might be; you can get this fixed in a week for a couple of K, I would have thought.

I hope you and/or your Mum kept some of your cash lump sum in reserve to cover this. If so, it'll be OK. In a few years, this will be but an amusing story. :)

Back