Termite damage concern

All,

I need some feedback from you all regarding the building and pest inspection I got on a property in Brisbane I am looking to purchase please find below points :
  • Pest inspection is area of concern. No active termites found however termite damage to roof noticed (Marked as extensive by inspector). Chemical treatment done before 3 years by owners, however no regular inspections has been done post treatment.
  • Pest inspector notes extensive damage to roof. Picture attached and requested me to investigate further. Pest Inspection recommended every 6-12 months for monitoring.
  • Building inspector ranks property good overall and have not noticed any major issues damages in roof.
  • Damp bathroom wall,gutters are rusted and may need replacement, downpipes and hot water pipes not going to drain.

Can you please provide some feedback on if termite damage to roof is severe? I am planning to get it inspected further, should I hold out this buying/negotiate asking price based on this? I dont have any other issues with property.

Attachments

• Termite damage.jpg
    Termite damage.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 326
It is pic of previous damage. The pest inspector confirmed in report that no active termite has been noticed.

Would the chemical treatment likely to have taken place prior to termite damage in roof or after? Lots of owners are more likely to be reactive than proactive in this sort of thing, so it wouldn't surprise me if it occurred after the damage took place.

Depending on the extent of damage, it could also be a potential negotiating tool. I'm not sure why an inspector would class the property as being in good condition with so-called extensive damage in the roof. May want clarification.

It is not easy to see from the photos just how much damage there is.

Old termite damage would not bother me if it was easily fixable. The only way to know the sort of money you are up for to fix is to get in a builder.

You then know whether to try to negotiate down further to allow for the damage to be fixed.

What is the house like? Age/style? Is there easy access under house? Ask owner of property for details of treatment.
We had termites in ceiling of an ip built in 1965 a year ago. Water source was a leaking HWS. I can't remember off top of head but treatment had either 5 or ten year warranty, pretty sure 10. Termite person drilled holes in bathroom and laundry tiles for barrier which was recommended for best prevention. Treatment cost $1000 rather than another quote using baiting stations that was around $4000. The rest of the house is wooden floors on limestone. Next inspection he is going to cut into wooden floors in each room to make it easier to inspect thoroughly as he got stuck under house last inspection.

Would the chemical treatment likely to have taken place prior to termite damage in roof or after? .

The treatment was done after they found danage. They got it inspected 3 months after the inspection again. I will get all paperwork today.

The extent of damage is question at this stage. Thinking about roof repair guys inspection and/or invasive inspection.

It is not easy to see from the photos just how much damage there is.

Old termite damage would not bother me if it was easily fixable. The only way to know the sort of money you are up for to fix is to get in a builder.

You then know whether to try to negotiate down further to allow for the damage to be fixed.

I am planning to get it checked by brisbane roof repair. Will they be best to get quote from?

What is the house like? Age/style? Is there easy access under house? Ask owner of property for details of treatment.
We had termites in ceiling of an ip built in 1965 a year ago. Water source was a leaking HWS. I can't remember off top of head but treatment had either 5 or ten year warranty, pretty sure 10. Termite person drilled holes in bathroom and laundry tiles for barrier which was recommended for best prevention. Treatment cost $1000 rather than another quote using baiting stations that was around $4000. The rest of the house is wooden floors on limestone. Next inspection he is going to cut into wooden floors in each room to make it easier to inspect thoroughly as he got stuck under house last inspection.

The house is low set brick veneer rendered. Property is approx 30 yrs old. I will be getting the treatment details today from owners. They got same treatment done as there were drill holes found. The treatment is still valide as was done before 3 yrs. i am not sure how stressed i should be as no active termite found but can i trust that ?

I am planning to get it checked by brisbane roof repair. Will they be best to get quote from?

I would be more inclined to get in a builder. There could be more damage behind plaster walls. If they got into the roof, they came up through somewhere in the house.

What suburb is this?

Something to be aware of though. Our son bought a house with old treated termite damage. Because the bank came through after we had removed a couple of termite damaged walls and pulled up a few floorboards, they gave no value to the house and lent only on land value.

I can highly recommend Wayne or his sons from Rifle Pest Management - 0412 489 710. We've used him (and previously his boss) for over 30 years. He won't feed you any BS or inflate any prices.

All,

I need some feedback from you all regarding the building and pest inspection I got on a property in Brisbane I am looking to purchase please find below points :
  • Pest inspection is area of concern. No active termites found however termite damage to roof noticed (Marked as extensive by inspector). Chemical treatment done before 3 years by owners, however no regular inspections has been done post treatment.
  • Pest inspector notes extensive damage to roof. Picture attached and requested me to investigate further. Pest Inspection recommended every 6-12 months for monitoring.
  • Building inspector ranks property good overall and have not noticed any major issues damages in roof.
That could be a real big problem,and by the look of the damage in the roof area alone you may well find it in the window areas everywhere because some of the timber sections look like hardwood and they have gone straight through that timber..imho..

The house is low set brick veneer rendered. Property is approx 30 yrs old. I will be getting the treatment details today from owners. They got same treatment done as there were drill holes found. The treatment is still valide as was done before 3 yrs. i am not sure how stressed i should be as no active termite found but can i trust that ?

I would factor in costs to remedy water sources as mentioned in your building inspection.
It doesn't sound like your termite inspection person is very knowledgeable?
When you get report from homeowner I'd contact company to see if they can give you more advice on whether it is rectified, although if it hasn't got active termites it sounds like it is.
My friend has ongoing problems with termites which has been very costly but she has a fibro home which apparently termites love. (Mine is double brick)

I would be more inclined to get in a builder. There could be more damage behind plaster walls. If they got into the roof, they came up through somewhere in the house.

What suburb is this?

I can highly recommend Wayne or his sons from Rifle Pest Management - 0412 489 710. We've used him (and previously his boss) for over 30 years. He won't feed you any BS or inflate any prices.

Its in Bracken Ridge. Thanks for the contact details. Do you know if they charge anything for giving a quote? I will call him soon.

As wylie has said, if the termites got as far as the roof timbers, then they have eaten their way there from the ground and up via the wall studs. There will be damage that is not visible without pulling all the wall linings off.

Invasive inspections are not the total answer either. They will need to drill holes all over the place to poke their camera down. Not a 100% guarantee.

Just finding old termite damage is not enough to put me off purchasing BUT it is dependent on a few factors.

In your case, unless you can negotiate a substantial amount off the purchase price, and given the unknowns and your relative inexperience, I'd be inclined to advise you to let this one go, and find another.

[/LIST]
That could be a real big problem,and by the look of the damage in the roof area alone you may well find it in the window areas everywhere because some of the timber sections look like hardwood and they have gone straight through that timber..imho..

I can't see your pics on my phone but the termites ate a jarrah door surround on their way up at my Ip so what willair is saying sounds right!

I agree, future buyers would be more stressed than may and may put them off those are the things I am currently thinking over and trying to make a decision.

Update

I got update from owner on this, active termites were found in property in when they bought it and they didn't do any thing for 2 years. They got the treatment done 2 years after purchasing and only one inspection done post treatment which was 3 months post treatment.

Past reports also suggest damage due to termite in roof void and bathroom.

I am getting more worried now. Should I walk away?

Back