Termite history in townhouse complex

Hi All,

My girlfriend is in the process of buying a townhouse, subject to strata report, building inspection etc.

Her particular townhouse has had no termite issues.

However there were issues in other units, that had been treated, and there are regular inspections.

This concerns her a lot, as she is less experienced and the word "termites" to most people means big risk, big costs. However, she has gotten the unit for a very good price and substantial discount from what others have sold for. Also any issue or cost would be shared with all unit owners. I don't think she should give it up unless she can ascertain that the situation is not "normal" i.e. doesn't happen to other unit blocks.

There are about 60 units in the complex, and in SE QLD I would think it's hard to find any that have never had a termite popup somewhere at some time on that amount of land. Even when there has been no termite history, there is no guarantee that termites won't move in one day in the future.

I'd like to hear from other townhouse/villa owners:
-How often does this come up
-Do you find it with almost all townhouse/villa complexes there?
-How costly is it to mange, did the strata fees go up a lot?

Thanks

What type of construction? Brick veneer? And what age?.
Gardens, mulch, etc can cause breaches and I've heard a few funny stories about termimesh and granite guard (they're still god though) but with good slab design, etc I'd say it's fairly rare to find them in a modern block! Could be wrong though.

Interesting point on warranties for termite protection systems is that you need annual inspection to keep them valid. Same thing with paint warranties you need to wash the house every year. I've washed my house once in 10 years.

I'd say it's fairly rare to find them in a modern block! Could be wrong though.

Really? must be unlucky.. my Dad's complex had termites move in one day too and they've only 4 units in the complex! In his case it wasn't that costly, but it did hurt the resale process, due to scaring first buyers.

This one is brick veneer, age about 12 years old.

I have a townhouse in Warrington where termites have occurred in some. Damage fixed and they have regular inspections. Two have recently sold for 100k more than I bought, so no I don't think it affected the resale in Sydney at the moment. May be different with more stock.

One was skirting boards and window frames.
Other was in one of the walls on one unit.

None got very far up to the roof or anything.

On another question - building inspections in SE QLD, if timber frame - they always come back with termite risk HIGH is this correct?

So far I've found this with 2 inspections, the main factor being SE QLD location..

Termite Management System Warranties

It should be noted that Termite Warranties are generally NOT worth the paper that they are printed upon!

WHY?

Simply because they are based upon product OR system failure.

If Termites "BREACH" the product OR system by going through the product OR system - Then you may get warranty if you are able to prove that is the case!

Most product and system installers claim to have NO FAILURES!

There is a large degree of difficulty in being able to prove that the product OR system has failed because of where it is located!

I.E. Sandwiched between bricks and inside the perimeter cavity of a home!

If the product OR system is "BRIDGED" whereby Termites simply climb over the top of the product OR system, there is NO WARRANTY because it should be noted during an annual inspection!

Keep in mind that Termites can bridge a product OR system in minutes, according to the Chairperson of the Australian Standards Committee (BD-074) that composes and updates the Termite Management Standards (AS 3660 Series), WHILST Termite Inspections are generally an annual event!

HOW DOES THIS WORK?

CLEARLY IT DOES NOT!

That is why Standards Australia & the Australian Building Codes Board are updating their Standards & the National Construction Code to reflect these views by REMOVING ALL INSTANCES where terms such as "TERMITE BARRIER" & "TERMITE PROTECTION" are used to prescribe the use of these products AND systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's your suggestion for prevention of termites costs? Inspections?

Some of these Brisbane houses have been there for 60 years with never a termite attack.

Others however "one day" suddenly the termites decide to move in and in a very short time secretly eat their way throughout the house..

There are menacing little silent assassins of our timber, but everyone disagrees on the various methods to mitigate the risk..

I think termites prefer to eat softer woods and not hardwood. My old 50's style austerity house on concrete stumps has survived so far. I do a visual inspection every so often to check for galleries,

Back