Termite treatment / Land Survey - Tax Deductible???..+ .Rates Qn

Can I claim a termite inspection and treatment as an expense - it cost over $2500? It was 'preventative' maintenence as a lot of houses in the street were starting to find active termites and some had significant damage, so I thought it would cost less than if I got them and didn't find it for years because tenants were in the house.

I also got a land boundary survey done as it is on a corner block and there was no clear boundary - I wanted to plant some trees so that it was divided from the footpath and not so exposed - as well as having some garden and privacy. This survey cost $1500.

So can I claim these items? As deductions? Capital improvements (which I don't think they are - maybe if I had put a fence up)???

Also, can anyone tell me how you claim rates - if the property is only rented for part of the rates period? Mine was charged at investment rates and then I changed it to owner occupied when I moved in, but the dates don't align exactly with what the rental period was. Is it bills you PAY in the rented period, or what is owing for that period?? (I'm in Brisbane)

I went and saw an accountant this morning and have been left more confused by him!
Thanks.

Can I claim a termite inspection and treatment as an expense - it cost over $2500? It was 'preventative' maintenence as a lot of houses in the street were starting to find active termites and some had significant damage, so I thought it would cost less than if I got them and didn't find it for years because tenants were in the house.
I cannot see any reason why this would not be an immediate deduction.

I'm not sure about the survey because it was done to find where a garden should be. The garden is 'soft landscaping' and there has been a bit of a debate about that on this thread: http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?p=686009

Is it bills you PAY in the rented period, or what is owing for that period?? (I'm in Brisbane)
It is apportioned for the period that is was used as an IP

Back