Termites in a strata complex

Hey all,

Tenant states they have spotted swarming termites outside at night time the last two nights as they have been attracted to the balcony lighting.

I can't discredit this, having never seen them myself and I have never had to deal with termites myself. It could be just regular insects for all I know.

Tenant states they have not seen any during the day.

I am unaware of any regular inspections carried out at the complex but I did only buy the unit earlier this year. Pre-purchase building and pest inspection earlier this year showed no evidence of termites, active or prior.

The only thing that concerns me is the fact that next to the unit there is a church and few house where there is a lot of grass and a few trees, and the units on the bottom floors of the complex have big gardens... One very unkempt. With the crazy weather, winds and storms we've had lately it wouldn't be surprising if these are termites swarms that have been pushed from an area close by.

Just wondering if there is potentially anything I need to do.
Is there a need to order another pest inspection for my unit (I think unlikely at current) or to contact strata and have them potentially organise a whole building inspection or sorts.
Ideally, I'd have actual proof now that they are indeed termite swarms but prevention is better than treatment in any case.

Is the tenant sure that they are termites & not flying ants? They do look similar. But have notable differences to eg wing types, body shape and antennae.

Have the tenant capture one in a glass jar or zip lock bag and get a pest exterminator to give you their opinion.

Once correctly identified, you can then proceed with the best solution.

Easy. Ring or Email strata and ask them when the last pest inspection was done.

Tell them the tenants concerns and get them to follow up.

That is what your strata fees are for.

Yes it is that time of year again termites are on the move and flying. Have already ready had them at my own property. Just gone through the repairs of termite damage found the nest under the slab in the shower it was huge :eek: Have noticed over last 2 weeks they are flying again. Best thing I believe contact Body Corp and check when last treatment was the best defence. I had a pest inspection that came up clear but unfortunately the little munchers where having a party inside my walls that was not detected and all skirts and archs were untouched. I have my house treated on a proper plan now, cannot afford to have walls replaced again

Totally a strata responsibliity since they own the building. Please ring them first thing in the morning and make sure at least yearly inspections have been happening.

Thanks for all the replies. I have tried to contact strata today by phone but nobody picked up, so sent an email and will chase it up in the morning.

Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.

Have asked tenant to possibly catch one or take a photo of such against the glass.

Cheers all.

No need to worry!

Flying Termites are generally 'alates' that fly from the nest to propagate the species and mate with another termite after discarding their wings to set up a new nesting colony.

They have a two part body whilst ants have a three part body and the wings differ in that flying ants have longer front wings than rear wings whilst termite alates have all their wings at the same size giving them a species name of ISOPTERA which means equal-winged.

Alates mate and generally take two-three years prior to getting a nest to an economically viable stage whereby it can take on houses and other timber sources.

The ONLY flying termites that can be a worry are Cryptotermes species (Drywood Termites) such as Crptotermes Brevis (West Indian Drywood Termites) which are a REPORTABLE PEST with AQUIS and require the Government to REMOVE & REPAIR the damage from such an infestation.

Back