Termites?

Hey guys,

Looking at buying an investment property that I know has had termites. It was likely a long time ago from the evidence I've seen - the area it's in is known for it - but I'm just wondering who is best to evaluate the extent of the damage? Someone told me they thing some pest guys have equipment to see inside the walls somehow - not sure what sort of technology this is base off, or if they are talking about drilling from below and poking a camera in?

Cheers
Greg

Someone told me they thing some pest guys have equipment to see inside the walls somehow - not sure what sort of technology this is base off

Greg,
Termite activity gives off a large amount of heat and moisture which is detectable on wall surfaces using a moisture meter (standard termite inspections) and a thermal camera (more extensive inspection).

Greg,
Termite activity gives off a large amount of heat and moisture which is detectable on wall surfaces using a moisture meter (standard termite inspections) and a thermal camera (more extensive inspection).

Thanks for that Propertunity. I presume this is only for active termites though? From what we can tell, it looks like they've been and gone a long time ago.

I guess one could argue that means - since the dwelling is still standing - damage isn't too horrendous. But I'm trying to gather as much information as possible as DD, because money is tight on this one.

Cheers
Greg

I guess one could argue that means - since the dwelling is still standing - damage isn't too horrendous. But I'm trying to gather as much information as possible as DD, because money is tight on this one.

Cheers
Greg

I wouldn't assume that. It could all come tumbling down.

Look at the walls. If you see little pin holes there are termites behind it. They eat through, see the light and go back.
I'd want to at least get under the house and in the roof and bang a few walls and beams.
Beams that look solid, once touched, are not. They're sneaky little things.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Yher than poking sharp screwdrivers into wooden skirting boards etc.
That's a pretty damn good way of telling. Termites usually eat right through wood and leave a thin layer to keep the light off.

I've had them in all sorts of weird corners in my old house, very inconsistent little buggers. Was slowly getting rid of any extraneous wood in the house, but doorframes are a bit expensive to replace ...

Yes.

Greg I don't know of any clever ways to tell how extensive old damage might be - other than poking sharp screwdrivers into wooden skirting boards etc.

or getting under the house & checking the stups & into the roof & checking the roof timbers arent eaten out also.

True, you just have to look & tap the wood, but you ought to know whats worth looking at

Termatrac is the name of the motion sensing system.

Thermal imaging is great at detecting sub-nests as is a moisture meter.
Even an experienced pro won't give you an iron clad 'termite free' guarantee after all the tests under the sun.
I would be using the termite history to cut the asking price to ribbons.

If you don't own the property yet then sticking screwdrivers into walls isn't such a good idea ( without the owner's written permission ).

Back