Terri Scheer - Caution From My Claim

once you have the outcome and all costings, it would be good if Brett would go through it all and give us his honest opinion on how ebm would have assesed and awarded for the same situation as per their pds.

Then it should put the terri vs ebm argument to rest.

cheers

There are so many posts here that I could respond to, and I may do so for some, but I have been pretty smashed for time I thought it best to try get something up at least for starters.

Obviously not all policies are the same in what they cover, plus interpretations of various events will also vary between companies, and I hate to say it but because there are always some grey areas with interpretations, they can even vary from one claims person to another. That may not be a perfect scenario but is a simple fact, as so many situations are not cut and dried.

Hypotheticals are also tough as until you (the Insurer) are putting your money on the line you could make out that you would pay anything. There are just too many variables.

The reality is that the ?perfect? policy that simply pays every claim every time without any questions will never exist, as no-one could afford to pay the premiums that would be necessary, or the Insurer would simply go broke.

That said, to the original post:

The area of tenant carelessness is probably the toughest area for a landlord policy to cater for, there needs to be a suitable balance of what can be paid to be fair yet keeping the premium affordable for the majority. Certainly going back to the early days of landlord insurance (20 years ago) the intent was that as the loss of rent would be paid by the policy, in most cases the bond would be freed up to cover general clean up and minor repairs, the bigger problem comes however when these sorts of costs reach extremes, and exceed the bond.

Policies will vary with what they cover, but for example:

Malicious Damage by the tenant - most landlord policies will cover Malicious Damage by the tenant, however "Malicious Damage" generally requires a police report and you have to prove that the tenant did it with "malicious intent", which is often not an easy task. This is a whole subject on its own and because of how restrictive this can be, is the need to have a policy that includes ?accidental damage?, which many don?t.

Deliberate and Intentional Damage ? it helps to break down the technicality of ?malicious? a bit, but still doesn?t go quite far enough, hence the need for ?accidental?.

Accidental Damage ? in a landlord policy this dramatically helps to take away or at least reduce the ?greyness? of how damage occurred. So if a child scribbled on a wall or there are red wine stains after a party, or oil leaked over the carpet when the tenant tried to repair his motor bike in the living room (nothing against motor bikes but the example doesn?t really work with a car), then you can hopefully get it covered under accidental damage.

The biggest problem with accidental damage (apart from the fact that most policies don?t include it) is the definition of an ?event?, as the Insurer may determine that each ?event? is subject to a separate excess rendering a claim useless. To some degree this can happen with our product (RentCover) as well but we have the philosophy of linking a series of events that may tie several together where possible, and therefore one excess only, or a reduced number of excesses. It?s an interpretation thing though so sometimes it won?t be right on first submission and may need some discussion.

So the main question of the post. ?Tenant carelessness, neglect etc.?. Landlord insurance is not really designed to cover this within the parameters of an acceptable premium, but it?s probably more so to do with the ?event? and ?excess? situation I referred to than anything else. The damage that has been caused in extreme examples may be able to be classed as accidental damage and you can get some claimed, but just straight clean up from poor living is always going to be difficult. Why? It is hoped that regular inspections will limit massive amounts of ?clean up?, as hopefully these can be nipped in the bud, whereas ?damage?, whether it be malicious or accidental, are more likely to occur over a short period of time and are less preventable.

Hopefully the bond can be utilised for clean up and the loss of rent and damage can be claimed (which means if you have a policy that has an excess equivalent to 4 weeks rent you are in trouble straight away).

So at the end of the day, what is going to be classed as ?tenant carelessness, neglect, unhygienic living habits or poor housekeeping?, compared to what you might get paid as ?accidental damage?, will more than likely get down to the interpretation of the Insurer (or in our case the broker as we settle most claims on behalf of the Insurer under an authority, which we feel allows us a little more room to understand the whole picture than when dealing direct with the Insurer).

So as I always try to say, no insurance policy is going to be perfect, and trying to match them up feature by feature is fine, but at the end of the day it?s what they (the Insurer) do when it comes time to settle a claim that counts more than anything as so much gets down to the interpretation of what occurred.

I will try to have a look at other specific questions in this thread and answer those directly.

Sounds like what they did was malicious to me.

carelessness etc implies no intention to cause damage.
Malice is when they have an intention of ill-will or desire to injur or cause damage.

This is exactly where it gets down to the interpretation. If it was "malicious", were the police called and an incident report number recorded? Without it no Insurer is likely to pay malicious damage.

For example, if a tenant loses his job and gets drunk and decides he is going to take out his frustration on his wife, so gets her and throws her threw a wall. His "intent" was to hurt his wife, not to damage the wall, therefore it is not technically malicious damage. We had an example many years ago that was featured on a current affair, a 10 year old child caused massive damage to a property on teh Gold Coast, huge holes in walls etc. Over $10,000 worth of damage. The mother claimed the child had ADHD and she couldn't control him, as he was under 12 it could not be classified as malicious. Fortunately we were able to pay it a s accidental damage, but had they had a policy without accidental damage the Insurer may very well have denied the claim.

I have tried to make claims over the last 10 years and everything is put down as fair wear and tear or untidy housekeeping.
I was told unless it had been reported to the police and they said it was malicious (holes punched in walls, fixtures torn out, windows smashed) that it will be classed as fair wear and tear or untidy housekeeping and the claim will be rejected.

I too wonder why I keep paying every year because the very best I get is a few weeks rent back.

If your policy only includes Malicious Damage by the tenant, and not Accidental Damage, then that's all you will get. To be classed as malicious you may very well have to prove "intent". I've been saying for over 20 years how hard that can be.

Interesting thread!

I was going to sign up for LL insurance with TS but now i'm thinking of not getting LL insurance at all.

Strata covers the outside on an ip,i may look at the different policies but at this stage i'm opting to go without LL insurance.

Seems to be not much in return for what you pay.

Cheers Spades.

This may have been answere later in the thread, but I will say it again anyway. If you own a strata unit, you need your own insurance if for no other reason than to cover liability inside your unit.

This could be a straight contents policy (carpets, curtains, bllinds, light fittings etc.) rather than a landlord policy, but you are likely to find it is actually cheaper to get a landlord policy (that includes contents) than a straight defined risks contents policy anyway.

Either way, go without at your peril, and many if not most property managers would not manage your property without a minimum of $10,000,000 liability insurance. Most people can probably survive a $10,000 tenant damage loss if need be, but try surviving a million dollar lawsuit when the tenant has injured themselves and you are found at fault.

Great Posts Brett. When I have time I will read the lot but looking got bring my policy from TERRI CHEER over to EBM on what I see.

Peter 14.7

Last edited:
Tenant had been in 9 months. First inspection at 3 months was all good, nice and tidy. 6 months later at next inspection its trashed. 90 day NTV with no reason to get them out issued as soon as the inspection was over. Tenant stopped paying rent, 14 day NTV's for arrears lodged, VCAT and warrant of possession obtained.

All done by the book.

$12K in damage! I've never experienced anything like that during my years as a PM.

You didn't move to vacate the tenants when you saw the place was trashed on the inspection? In NSW you have the legal right to terminate if you're seriously concerned that serious damaged will occur to the premise. Cheers

Also I generally recommend people get contents insurance for investment properties, especially for strata units. A burst pipe leaking water leak will is a financial and emotional nightmare for any landlord. Cheers

Back