Terrible property manager?

Hey all,

Long post ahead.

Our family has had an investment property in our name for about 3 years now. The value of the property has fluctuated between 450-480k over that time and it has been rented out to tenants for $480/weekly through an REA. I've recently become interested in property investment and just started to look into the financial side of the property and have discovered that it has been tenanted for 480 per week for the last 3 years! I thought the number was a bit low so I rang around other REAs in the area and everyone said at least 520 up to 580 per week.

Stupidly (this is my first time doing things) I went straight to another agent and requested them to transfer management from the existing REA to their company and have already given them the 30 days notice.

I then realised that the rent would still be stuck at 480 for at least another few months, so wanting speed up the process I phoned and emailed the current REA requesting a rent increase for up to 560 per week thinking that they would comply, give the notice right away, the tenant would probably move out after 3 weeks with an 80 dollar per week increase and my relationship with the current REA would be terminated after 3 weeks instead of 4.

The reply from the current REA, argued with me saying that the market rate was only 520 because there was another 2 bedroom place (ours is a 3 bedroom place) in the same building advertised for that amount. I then asked him why he had mismanaged our place by having it for only 480, and he couldn't give me an answer. On the phone he expressed concern that the tenants would have to move out if I increased the rent to 560. In my mind I was thinking he's probably in cahoots or done some kind of deal with the tenants. In short he said ".. you better go with someone else". I requested on the phone to still increase the rent to 560 and he said "...yeah, we'll see..." and hung up.

So now I'm basically stuck waiting for the 4 weeks and hoping that the REA don't tell the tenants to damage the property or throw the keys away or forcibly not move out or stop paying rent etc. It seems I have absolutely no recourse. Plus the property has no landlord insurance at the moment. I was thinking of getting a policy but the rent is always in arrears (or I'm not sure how to check because the statements they send are always behind). So now I have to wait for the switchover before getting a policy.

I'll admit right now it was a huge mistake to order the rent increase AFTER giving REA the 30 days notice. And also obviously our family members listening to 'advice' given by the REA. What else could I have done differently to avoid such a situation? Is there any way I can make the current REA care about the situation or is it all lost?

TLDR; PM is refusing to increase the rent because he says it is above market rate and that the tenants will suffer, has not suggested a rent increase for the last 3 years.

Edit: In addition, they NEVER return phone calls or emails and whenever you visit there is no one you can talk to besides the receptionist.

Sorry to hear your story.

In my view, never trust PM, do your own research on the current market rent. you can simply check on domain.com.au and realestate.com.au to see what's the rental market like.

Maybe call a few insurance companies and tell them you want to get the landlord insurance. Explain your situation to the insurance companies, but NEVER reveal your property address first. ( so there is no record on their database, if the policy is not suit you or you don't like the insurance company) The aim is to check out what insurance policy you can get and what sort of worst case scenario will face.
Once you understand the difference in insurance companies and their policy coverage. then you choose the one you think is most suitable for your worst case scenario. ( if tenant damage the property.....)

I don't think there is any hope for your current PM to care more since you are leaving him.....( just my view)

For the new PM you keep regular contact with him/her to see how the transition process going and maybe don't increase the rent all in once if the current tenant choose to stay. small increase every year or 6 month to catch up the market rent.

Good luck

I hope this will help.

Taylor

I made a video on this topic recently - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WFIfLk0tzo

As for reviewing rents, no one has a more vested interest in your wellbeing than yourself.

I would suggest to do your research regularly on realestate.com.au and domain.com.au to get clarity on where your property sits in the market.

Nath.

The PM is refusing to increase the rent, but you're worried that they will move out? This sounds unusual.

It also sounds unusual that you expect them to move out in three weeks, when the minimum notice in WA is, I believe, 8 weeks.

One option may be to transfer the PM immediately, and pay out the original PM his fees for the notice period. Then the new PM can take control of the situation immediately. You will lose in the short term what you are paying the old PM, but that may well be covered by an earlier increase in rent than you would get by staying with him for the notice period.

I was a bit bewildered when I read this.

Firstly, shouldn't the responsibility with increasing the rent lie with you?

Surely it's your property, and you tell your PM what you want done at each anniversary or re-signing?

Secondly, why wouldn't you have a conversation with the original agent about raising the rent before you hastily decided to appoint a new PM??

And then expecting him to do anything for you after you've sacked him is pretty strange IMO, and in all honesty, I don't blame him at all for not offering to jump for you.

Lastly, the rent has been at $480 for 3 years and no-one has questioned it, but all of a sudden it needs to be increased almost 20% as of yesterday?

It's no wonder Landlords get a bad rep....

But hey, it's always someone elses fault...

The PM is refusing to increase the rent, but you're worried that they will move out? This sounds unusual.

I think the OP is concerned the tenant will refuse to move or pay rent, or trash the place..as soon as rental increase is given.

He wants them to move...but still comply with the lease, until they move out.

I think the OP is concerned the tenant will refuse to move or pay rent, or trash the place..as soon as rental increase is given.

He wants them to move...but still comply with the lease, until they move out.

I find it unusual because he's already worried that they are going to move out because of a rent increase even though they supposedly haven't been told about the increase. I'm wondering if there is something else which has happened.

If the new rent truly is a fair rent for the area then the tenant is less likely to move out- they wouldn't want the expense of moving to another place which has a similar rent.

I don't know about WA but some states have legislation that the rent cannot be raised "unreasonably". A 20% raise may cause problems- if the new rent is fair market value, that may be ok, but tere is the possibility that the landlord may get taken to the tribunal.

I find it unusual because he's already worried that they are going to move out because of a rent increase even though they supposedly haven't been told about the increase. I'm wondering if there is something else which has happened.

If the new rent truly is a fair rent for the area then the tenant is less likely to move out- they wouldn't want the expense of moving to another place which has a similar rent.

I don't know about WA but some states have legislation that the rent cannot be raised "unreasonably". A 20% raise may cause problems- if the new rent is fair market value, that may be ok, but tere is the possibility that the landlord may get taken to the tribunal.

You are probably right geoff. People usually leave out parts of a story..thinking it doesn't really matter, but it could change the answer.

Our tenants do that all time when they ask questions at our Tenancy Board, and then wonder why they lose at the hearing.

Understand that we all want to make a profit in rental and we are not charity. But also thinking from the tenant's perspective, if I were the tenant, after living in the property for 3 years, all of a sudden options of either a jump of $80/week rent or move out within 3 weeks could be very difficult and in fact a bit harsh. I would take into account if the tenant has been a good one, otherwise, maybe the increase can be done gradually.

The REA rang me today and stated that he would be happy to hand over the management to my new REA right away. Management has already been transferred over to my new REA as of now. It's likely that the original REA didn't want to put up with my demands considering he had already been let go, or that he had seen this thread pop up on the internet.

Probably my poor English in the original post but the rent has not been increased yet and the tenant has not yet been notified of anything that has occurred so far - so hopefully this will be a fresh start for me.

At this stage hopefully the inspection will happen tomorrow and we will make a decision early next week of the rental increase. After all the posts I've seen I'm thinking of increasing to 520 or 530/weekly (which is 30 dollars below market rate), sign a 6 month lease and then increase to true market value after another 8 months.

In terms of the figures provided, I am not making up numbers in my head as many of you believe. I went to 4 other REAs in the area.
- One quoted between 560-580
- One quoted 530/540
- Another 520
I repeat this but there are same properties with one less bedroom renting for almost 40 dollars more so I think that the market value is definitely at least 540 at this stage. Apparently the vacancy rate in my suburb is also extremely low and the demand for rentals it quite high.

Finally, in the past 3 years I have not been overseeing this property. My family has. My family has definitely communicated with the REA in this time and been advised not to increase the rent because they were good tenants. My family are not natural property investors so they listened to the REA. The current REA knew that the market value was almost 50 dollars above the rent we were charging AND knew that the vacancy rates were quite low.

I would have recommended that you contact the PM and ask them nicely to increase the rent to market value.

Do you have copies of emails sent to and from your 'family members?' I know first hand that when dealing with a multi-owner property, the message almost always gets lost. It's often like playing an endless game of Chinese whispers.

From my point of view, you have wildly over-reacted and burned a bridge. Other than the apparent low rent, has the PM satisfied your expectations? Do they do inspections and execute maintenance effectively?

If you have only now become 'interested' in property investing, then for all you know, the PM may have suggested to your family that the rent remain at the current rate to avoid the potential vacancy and re-letting costs. In reality, there's nothing to gain from sobbing over spilt milk.

Please also be mindful that just because another unit in your complex is advertised for $520, does not necessarily mean yours is worth more. That other unit might be $80 over-priced, just as yours might be $80 under.

Agents will generally know the market, and will generally be optimistic with rental appraisals when trying to poach other agents' managements.

Also, please try to treat the next agent how you would like to be treated, rather than like a snake in the grass. You're obviously not happy with the old PM, but some real estate agents do care about our jobs and our clients.

Matt

Back