Terrible Renovation Job - insurance cover

hi all

I recently bought a renovated property for investment purpose, newbie mistake, should've bought something and renovated myself instead. Anyway, i've only just recently discovered that it had a terrible bathroom job done. builder with unqualified plumbing experience attempted a quick bathroom job. no water proofing and didn't adhere to the trade standards.

The result: water damage to the two adjacent bedroom walls and water leak marks everywhere. I've now engaged a qualified builder to knock down and re-do the bathroom. would cost > $8k.

Several questions wondering if anyone could shed some light on this:
(1) Where and how to find qualified trades people easily ?
(2) Can this type of bad renovation job and cost of re-do be covered by any type of insurance ? I've got landlord insurance of which i doubt this would cover any of it. Strata insurance ?
(3) If the building has internal wall cracks on them, can this be covered by strata building insurance ?
(4) Lessons that you think we could've all learnt through this?

Cheers

JK Liverpool NSW

We did a bathroom reno a few years ago, and we had to include a copy of the builders insurance in the contract when we sold our PPOR last year.
So, I guess in the future, if there is a renovation, check that it has insurance.

(2) Can this type of bad renovation job and cost of re-do be covered by any type of insurance ? I've got landlord insurance of which i doubt this would cover any of it. Strata insurance ?
(3) If the building has internal wall cracks on them, can this be covered by strata building insurance ?

JK Liverpool NSW

Certainly put a query to the strata insurance thru your starta manager to see if you can claim the bathroom - although last time we couldn't claim for a leaky shower base.

Internal walls are a bit harder to claim - unless the whole building is about to go down due to some specific insurable event.
Just get some filler and paint over....

The Y-man

We did a bathroom reno a few years ago, and we had to include a copy of the builders insurance in the contract when we sold our PPOR last year.
So, I guess in the future, if there is a renovation, check that it has insurance.

Sounds like this was a unit with on a strata - so strata insurance papers would have been provided - but chances are the BC/strata management probably didn't even know about it. :(

The Y-man

Back