Terry Ryder?s top 10 markets to avoid

I love reading 'experts' articles. They come up with top 10 markets to buy in or not buy in or some other metric. Give it some time and then say 'hey look i got 8 out of 10 correct, im an expert'

Hunter region (NSW)

HA! Weren't they going on and on about the hunter for the last few years.

I was over there hunting for a while and I just couldn't figure out what all the hype was about.

A lot of these places have been a known no go zone for a while now.. what does everyone think about inner city Brisbane? i think there may be an over supply soon

Terry Ryder is an A-grade doucher.

Just got an email "We told you to buy here, Hervey Bay up 3%" - yeh he predicted Hervey Bay in about 2009 after 5 years of zero or negative growth is now bragging about 3%.

He is now also emailing trying to sell off the plan stuff.

Most of those no go locations were his hotspots for the past few years.

I have absolutely ZERO respect for him.

Well, maybe it was places to invest just few years ago, and if it had great capital growth for these few years, it might make sense to not invest there anymore if it reached peak and will stay flat for years now...

Hunter Region is a massive area - big difference between Newcastle and say Muswellbrook in terms of markets no?

I did a lot of research, the numbers did stack up (in some places, few and far between), but the reason the numbers were stacking up didn't seem conducive to a long term healthy investment.

Considering the alternative at the time was outer Brisbane and Western Sydney. I know I'm glad I listened to my gut... and the facts.

But most of these areas should have been avoided 2 years ago, most savvy property investors would know this. I think this article is just a tad too late

I did a lot of research, the numbers did stack up (in some places, few and far between), but the reason the numbers were stacking up didn't seem conducive to a long term healthy investment.

Considering the alternative at the time was outer Brisbane and Western Sydney. I know I'm glad I listened to my gut... and the facts.

Numbers didn't stack up for what exactly? Simple buy and hold? Or development?

You make enough predictions, you are bound to get some right

Maybe I'm old school, but for me credibility means everything,]
It seems in the ever cheapening society, credibility means nothing these days

I'm surprised people don't question him and asking him, how he can mock a suburb that he listed as hot a few years earlier,

No respect from me whatsoever

Newcastle isn't hunter

Although hunter is quite big, there is no way one area is booming, while another nearby area is collapsing

Exactly that is happening in the hunter. Singleton and muswellbrook have been smashed by the mining downturn.

While nearby towns have hardly been affected. Ie kurri kurri, east maitland, greenhills, Ashtonfield, Pokolbin, scone,

Hunter LAC starts at hexam so pretty much newcastle.

I wonder what sort of success I would get if i put the names of 30 towns/cities on a corkboard, and threw 20 red and 20 green darts at them?

If a green dart landed on a town then it's a must buy, if a red dart landed on it don't touch it.

If a town gets even red/green, flip a coin to decide.

Report back in 5 years and print the success's...

I intend to listen to the gurus to find out where the hotspots are so that I don't buy there! There are too many down-sides to buying somewhere well publicised compared to a well-researched secret that takes off later.

At the risk of being a party-pooper, I guess they have to put out where not to buy a few years after they espouse extra growth in an area or people will continue to buy there, just because they said it would be good five years ago.

Back