Terry Ryder's 5 top hot spots in regional Queensland

Just looking at Ryder's success in picking 'hot spots' for supposed massive capital gain.

I understand he has a new report out right now, full of anti-economic spruiking rubbish designed to keep people's enthusiasm about dead duck properties up -- e.g. he says rising interest rates shouldn't hurt housing prices and other interesting things he studied in university economics...

Picked on as a kid were you Bystander?

Thought you might come here as a faceless tough guy and kick some dirt on people who have hit tough times?

I'd suggest crawling back under your rock......

Rooster

hmm, aren't you being a faceless tough guy? What's your name and address, 'Rooster'? I'm just querying Ryder's track record and economic credentials as a (self-interested incompetent spruiker) analyst.

Certainly not attacking people who have hit tough times -- honest, working owner-occupiers in those towns, for instance, vs the many people from interstate posting on here interested in snapping up all the housing in those tiny towns for profit and posited future massive capital gains -- to sell them back to who, exactly?

Bystander

You post is pretty pointless....I for one did use Ryder's reports....but I also did further due diligence.

Funnily enought on 4 out of 5 occaisions ....the report came out after I bought in the areas.

His reports are pretty sound....just that like everything else make sure you diversify your holdings.

Oh....places like Toowoomba, Chincilla, Dalby will come back....probably even stronger.....Terry Ryder might have the last laugh.;)

hmm, aren't you being a faceless tough guy? What's your name and address, 'Rooster'? I'm just querying Ryder's track record and economic credentials as a (self-interested incompetent spruiker) analyst.

Certainly not attacking people who have hit tough times -- honest, working owner-occupiers in those towns, for instance, vs the many people from interstate posting on here interested in snapping up all the housing in those tiny towns for profit and posited future massive capital gains -- to sell them back to who, exactly?

No mention of Gladstone. Is this because it is coastal and not regional???? Does regional mean it has to be in the bush? eg west of the great divide. Can someone please explain this for me? Thankyou

No mention of Gladstone. Is this because it is coastal and not regional???? Does regional mean it has to be in the bush? eg west of the great divide. Can someone please explain this for me? Thankyou

I think that the horse has bolted with Gladstone. There may be some opportunities but you'd have to get in soon. Anyone who knows anything about real estate has known for a long time that Gladstone is going to do well in the future because of all the developments planned for the area.

I think that Terry Ryder's 5 top hot spots are going to do better in the future as they are not as well known.

Bystander

You post is pretty pointless....I for one did use Ryder's reports....but I also did further due diligence.

Funnily enought on 4 out of 5 occaisions ....the report came out after I bought in the areas.
With house prices rising everywhere at once in a bank credit bubble, it would be hard not to get some rises just about anywhere, surely. Notwithstanding costs of settlement, property transfer taxes, mortgage establishment fees and ongoing interet and maintenance payments on the property/ies.

You're claiming to have bought 5 properties? Most PIs in Oz only buy 1 and stop -- that's quite a lot and extremely atypical.

His reports are pretty sound....just that like everything else make sure you diversify your holdings.
Is there anywhere in Australia that HASN'T been a Terry Ryder hotspot yet? How does he keep finding new ones month after month with a stable population and limited choices?

Oh....places like Toowoomba, Chincilla, Dalby will come back....probably even stronger.....Terry Ryder might have the last laugh.;)
Will they? Why? The credit bubble is already starting to implode under its own weight with high LVRs and lower limits -- salaries and wages are not going up much differently to CPI -- so why should houses go up at a faster pace, net of excessive and unsustainable borrowing? And with excessive borrowing, how do you service the debt or retire the principal? The Ponzi runs out of steam before too long.

e.g. see the situation in Canada right now, another small popn/resource rich country that's now starting to do it tough: http://howestreet.com/2011/02/getting-out/ -- house prices free-falling...

Gladstone is just at the start of its growth cycle after being flat for the past couple of years.

Vacancy rates are already very low and that is before thousands of new construction workers arrive. Rents are just starting to increase and will continue to increase over the next 3 years at least.

Gladstone is my number one pick for growth in Australia.

Gladstone is just at the start of its growth cycle after being flat for the past couple of years.

Vacancy rates are already very low and that is before thousands of new construction workers arrive. Rents are just starting to increase and will continue to increase over the next 3 years at least.

Gladstone is my number one pick for growth in Australia.

yes, but for how long wil gladstone prices remain high? you're trying to trade a large, single, illiquid asset as though it's a quickly tradeable share. not even considering costs of settlement, property transfer taxes, mortgage establishment fees, landlord's insurance, PM fees, and ongoing interest and maintenance payments on the property/ies. and CGT at the end.

if there is some demand in gladstone for a while, then surely builders will step in, construct much more housing, and prices should come down to a sensible level like anywhere else? supply and demand, surely. why do you think there should be a perpetually rising high water mark in any given area beyond CPI? further, how do you know you can buy and sell quickly and conveniently into and out of that market at the right time and make a sensible profit for the risk taken? In fact, not make a sizeable loss, as per the costs listed above.

Hi Bystander,

just out of interest, what are you doing on a property forum?

Most of the people here are just trying to learn how to get started or improve their chances in the IP world. Very few come on and just bag the c--p out of everything here.

Maybe you need oto lay off the 'angry pills' for a while.:)

yes, but for how long wil gladstone prices remain high? you're trying to trade a large, single, illiquid asset as though it's a quickly tradeable share. not even considering costs of settlement, property transfer taxes, mortgage establishment fees, landlord's insurance, PM fees, and ongoing interest and maintenance payments on the property/ies. and CGT at the end.

if there is some demand in gladstone for a while, then surely builders will step in, construct much more housing, and prices should come down to a sensible level like anywhere else? supply and demand, surely. why do you think there should be a perpetually rising high water mark in any given area beyond CPI? further, how do you know you can buy and sell quickly and conveniently into and out of that market at the right time and make a sensible profit for the risk taken? In fact, not make a sizeable loss, as per the costs listed above.

Mate, ask Helen Collier-Kogtevs ( realwealthaustralia ) or many other people how they retired on passive income of 100K+ through realestate investing for 7 - 10 years and they will tell you. You are speaking out of fear and the fear comes from luck of education. You ask questions and that's fine we all do but then you answer yourself instead of seeking answer from an expert. You are restricting yourself from many things in your life and that's fine but do not discourage other people by misleading them to wrong believes.

Mate, ask Helen Collier-Kogtevs ( realwealthaustralia ) or many other people how they retired on passive income of 100K+ through realestate investing for 7 - 10 years and they will tell you. You are speaking out of fear and the fear comes from luck of education. You ask questions and that's fine we all do but then you answer yourself instead of seeking answer from an expert. You are restricting yourself from many things in your life and that's fine but do not discourage other people by misleading them to wrong believes.

burn bystander at the stake. how dare they offer an opinion.

burn bystander at the stake. how dare they offer an opinion.
Bystander is burning people spirits on this forum. Somebody asked the question earlier; why is bystander on the real estate forum and it was the right question to ask. You don't burn people so you don't get burned yourself. I have to apologise for my massage which was harsh (as Ed noted) and I can only regret I commented such a depressing opinions Bystander posted in this thread.

Since your information is from a news article, I would not rely on it.

I have purchased a Ryder report before (I think around $90 for the top 10 suburbs in NSW to invest in) and I thought it was quite good.

He does all the research so you don't have to.

Having said that, there is no guarantee his predictions will pan out, all he is doing is identifying growth drivers (such as new industries, new infrastructure, increasing population etc) that traditionally tend to drive prices up in the near term.

You must do your own research and not just blindly invest even if an expert says it's a sure thing! If the expert is wrong, you have no repercussions even though you paid him for the information.

Also, beware of investing in boom towns that are driven by 1 industry (eg. mining).

It might be worth a look at construction workforce V operational workforce on some of these projects that will provide the boom. Mining will be strong for generations to come, however this does not mean that severe fluctuations in the workforce will occur. People get caught up in looking at the amount of money being spent and dont look at the future predictions by the companies spending the money.

just food for thought

Hot Warm or Frozen Spotting?

Well, of those 5 places, I have property in two. Charters Towers has done nothing for past 2 years apart from steady rental demand & good rents. Capital Gain = zilch. Toowoomba I think is getting there slowly... will be nice when LNG actually starts mass production. Dalby I think will go gangbusters soon but I'm fresh out of dollars to invest... others I don't know

Well, of those 5 places, I have property in two. Charters Towers has done nothing for past 2 years apart from steady rental demand & good rents. Capital Gain = zilch. Toowoomba I think is getting there slowly... will be nice when LNG actually starts mass production. Dalby I think will go gangbusters soon but I'm fresh out of dollars to invest... others I don't know

I think we need to sit and wait for anything to go gangbusters at this time.
We have experienced a very difficult year and possibly another one to come,just because it isn't doing anything enormous at the moment doesn't mean it isn't a sound investment.

We need to be confident on the decisions we make and accept the consequences as they come.
Hang in there ;)

http://m.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-south+toowoomba-108931011

Saw this property a week or so ago and thought it looked like a good buy. Was listed at $190k with claimed rent of $240 giving it a gross yield over 6.5%.

Looking back now I see that it has sold.

It is also on a 614m block and zoned mixed housing allowing 1 dwelling per 250m. Meaning future duplex development potential. High yield is perfect opportunity to hold for medium to long term and then develop. Even if predictions are wrong and capital growth is poor. Rental yield starting strong and will increase and future development potential will manufacture growth.

Other benefits include good street appeal, wide frontage, close to hospital, one of the better suburbs in toowoomba.

I will not invest in mining towns - however cities like toowoomba have a wide variety of employment and economic drivers.

There will also be a housing shortage in toowoomba in the next 20 years and council has recognised this an that is why they are trying to Zone a lot of areas mixed housing to encourage more medium density dwellings. This as well as trying to meet the future increase of smaller households and provide a diverse and affordable housing options to all people of all ages.

Another benefit is the cheap acquiring cost.

Toowoomba and Townsville would be the only regional cities that I would invest in qld.

Out of the 5 listed I would only invest in toowoomba as greater diversity and less risky IMO.

Fools Gold

Like many on these forums I have a mindset of buying when I see a good opportunity and, all things considered, I think I'm going prety okay in the world of property.

The property you mention YPG looks great in concept, but those scenarios are a bit scary when you factor for maintenance.

I'm trying to sell an IP in North QLD for $165K returning 7.5% ($240 week)... I would have hoped to sell it for 180K plus, but the house is about 80 years old and needs some restumping work... best hope on this one is to break even. If I go ahead with the re-stump, it becomes a long term hold while the positive cashflow pays off the restumping.

You live you learn. We are buying at the moment. I believe the low market confidence brings with it opportunity. That said... our next IP will definitely be BRICK :)

Back