Terry Ryder's 5 top hot spots in regional Queensland

Just read in today's Courier Mail about Terry Ryder's 5 top picks in regional Queensland. They were, not in any order, :

Toowoomba
Dalby
Chinchilla
Charters Towers
Barcaldine

I've just signed a contract for a Chinchilla property so am happy to know that it is one of the hot spots. Interesting that 3 of these spots are in the Surat Basin area which many commentators (including Premier Anna Bligh) think will be one of the boom economies in Australia.

What do you think about Ryder's predictions? Haven't checked how his previous predictions have worked.

I guess I am somewhat biased as I live in Toowoomba, but to me the place just has to have some large increases in the near future. It is the 15 largest city in Australia (pipping even Darwin). The median is 293k with many available in the low 200k territory. With this said my investing strategy means that my PPOR is enough exposure to Toowoomba and I dont want any to Dalby, Chinchilla etc. Dont know what the stats say but reading the papers tells me that the past 8 years that I have taken an interest is not a story of steady of increases but crazy booms followed by low growth periods, miss those booms and its a patience game I have had to manufacture PPOR capital growth the last 4 years through reno's etc. That said there is some great opportunities here still. My tips would be something like:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-toowoomba-106517994
for a land banking development type play
or this one a bit cheaper:
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-toowoomba-106480867
a heap of these have already been split on Mary St
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-toowoomba-106522876

plenty of these type of unit deals come up:
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unitblock-qld-toowoomba-106533153or maybe strata something like this:
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unitblock-qld-toowoomba-106487829
please remember these are the thoughts of a non guru who is jsut finishing his sixth beer as I finish this post :)

Just read in today's Courier Mail about Terry Ryder's 5 top picks in regional Queensland. They were, not in any order, :

Toowoomba
Dalby
Chinchilla
Charters Towers
Barcaldine

I've just signed a contract for a Chinchilla property so am happy to know that it is one of the hot spots. Interesting that 3 of these spots are in the Surat Basin area which many commentators (including Premier Anna Bligh) think will be one of the boom economies in Australia.

What do you think about Ryder's predictions? Haven't checked how his previous predictions have worked.

he forgot blackall very close to barky....

jury still out on dalby

I think the jury is still out on Dalby as a hot spot. People with investment houses there at the moment are experiencing plummeting rents and a high vacancy rate. WHilst there is a lot of projects planned for the area and billions of $ investment in the wings, for the moment at least the supply of housing (particularly new houses) seems to have significantly outstripped demand. So in the short term it certainly isn't a place to expect a postive cash flow. In the future - who knows?

If I was going to buy in any of those areas, I'd pick Toowoomba. It has a large population and many employment opportunities other than just mining.

Back to the original questions as regards what do people think of T Ryder and the reports.
Well....I've bought 3 of them. When I was a nervous nellie I thought i needed to listen to the experts. Reading them they told me nothing I didn't already know. But they did however, ratify what I thought but wasn't able to believe myself smart enough to work out.
And i've never seen a report differ to what he, Margaret or that crowd are already spruiking and are 'known knowns'
I think the trick to to spot the stuff before they talk about it. I did but that was just dumb luck...or was it...I just guess I did my no brainer research - I like regional hubs. Easy to enter the market and like this thread points out - key drivers, population, jobs etc are king. I also read 2030 plans and I like things like 'Koala Caveat' zones ...not bad for a newb to this stuff I reckon. so I say trust your gut and take it all with a grain of salt. The experienced investors in this forum know their stuff so thats as good a source as any. But at $15 for a location report give it a burl and see for yourself

Hope this is helpful

Toowoomba is the only place i would live, the rest are dead set the pits!

I dont like buying where I wouldnt want to live....to0 difficult to offload when times get tough.

Charters Towers I wouldnt send my worst enemy there.... ********* of the world at best.

No amount of money would get me buying in any of those places except for rent returns...

Still others may think these places are great..i prefer buying in more established Qld coast areas.

Some nice parts of Toowoomba though but the cows wear jumpers there in winter its that damm cold some days...:)

hmm, all those towns seem to have been wiped out in the recent floods.

Hope any property speculators there who listened to Ryder had lots of that expensive flood insurance -- an unfortunate on-cost with property you don't get with shares.

I guess that's a lesson about making risky plays using lots of leverage in a single illiquid asset with major physical risks. Maybe it would be better to de-commodify property, stop trying to get rich quick out of it, and just stick to having a normal life like everyone else.

Hi there
I'm in Toowoomba and still here - the flood event in Toowoomba was so out of left field - no one expected it
yes most in town have been affected one way or another - but rebuilding is occurring.
thanks

Hi there
I'm in Toowoomba and still here - the flood event in Toowoomba was so out of left field - no one expected it
yes most in town have been affected one way or another - but rebuilding is occurring.
thanks

No-one expected the periodic flooding which occurs in Qld whenever there's some decent rainfall? Wonder what all those flood markers around the place are for with the yearly high water marks. Some years of La Niña pattern weather to come, too, by the looks, so it might flood every year for a few years to come. Insurance will be harder to come by too.

Maybe not good places to speculate in property.

How are you IPs going there? Hope they're OK and you haven't lost any precious money...

Your IP might be swept away down the river, and zero rental bucks for months to come, but you know what? Your 100% loan from the bank secured against your other house is still screaming out for the interest to be repaid every night and every day...

Last edited:
Picked on as a kid were you Bystander?

Thought you might come here as a faceless tough guy and kick some dirt on people who have hit tough times?

I'd suggest crawling back under your rock......

Rooster

Bystander,

What is your point here. You have picked up an old thread and ran with it becuase it happens to highlight QLD properties that have now come into difficulties.

There are a lot of people suffering out there and will do so for a long, long time to come - they dont need ' a told you so ' now from someone far removed from the reality or living their nightmare.

They have done the Australian way - had a go and will continue to have a go.

Back