Terry Ryder's 5 top hot spots in regional Queensland

Hey jweg,

Unlucky about your issues with maintenance and restumping but as you said you are learning new things all the time. No doubt I have these obstacles and learning curves ahead of me in the future. But hopefully if you for a building inspection and all major items were fine this wouldn't matter. As I said the more likely goal is to hold for 10 years then demolish and build a duplex. So I wouldn't buy unless extent of maintenance was cosmetic reno with a few paint jobs and minor things. Really just want to keep it to a bare minimum except fresh and clean. And ultimately the real value in this 190k at least 160-170k would be land value. So as long as the house is liveable and structurally sound. Hopefully there would be no big ticket maintenance costs you are making $240 from a 20-30k house. I guess it comes down too good DD and a bit of luck. No doubt one day I will be saying on this forum I have been caught out by something too haha

Love Toowoomba, ticks all my boxes. Haven't bought there yet, but have been looking for the right one very actively.

Anyone got thoughts on Mackay and surrounds?

Massive population growth historically and forecast. Very strong industry/employment and diverse like toowoomba. Alot of folks use it as home for drive-in drive working in the mines.

Has had some good growth. Too much?

Is there much not to like about it?

Toowoomba

Reno is half way there... just have to wait for a 6 month lease to end before we get stuck in to unit 2.

Spent a bit more than planned (about 4K over budget, but hopefully catch that up as that included flooring and vanity for second unit)..

Rental value very good outcome... Current Return = 7.4% (which includes counting Reno as part of the capital cost).

Anyone else investing in Toowoomba at present?

Reno is half way there... just have to wait for a 6 month lease to end before we get stuck in to unit 2.

Spent a bit more than planned (about 4K over budget, but hopefully catch that up as that included flooring and vanity for second unit)..

Rental value very good outcome... Current Return = 7.4% (which includes counting Reno as part of the capital cost).

Anyone else investing in Toowoomba at present?
Congratulations on the reno, healthy yield especially after considering costs, I like the multi-properties, duplexes or flats and think they are offering some very good buying at the moment.

FWIW I spoke personally with Terry on Gladstone earlier this year (Feb?). He told me he dropped it off his National Top 10 list for two main reasons. It's been on this report for more than a year but mainly he said its because it's common knowledge it's a boom town and people want 'new' hotspots.

He still thinks the area will enjoy a long sustained period of good times (rather than a sharp spike) over many years. I asked him about the potential for over supply and he said something to the effect of 'even if they had every builder in QLD up there there still wouldn't meet demand' (don't quote me on that, it was a long time ago!!). No idea if this holds true still today.

I've personally done well from Terry's reports and have found him to be a very genuine guy.

Please note I am biased as I have property in Gladstone (but I bought there because I believe in the above).

Want to buy one in Toowoomba, however I'm concerned with the flood. Would my concern of the flood be justified not to invest there?
Another reason is my insurance with Terry Scheer and the insurance does not cover flood.

Want to buy one in Toowoomba, however I'm concerned with the flood. Would my concern of the flood be justified not to invest there?
Another reason is my insurance with Terry Scheer and the insurance does not cover flood.

Hi mate,

It's my understanding the flood was a freak event. Toowoomba is situated on high ground and it is unlikely anything like the tragic events witnessed in 2011 will ever happen again.

I believe only a very small area in Toowoomba fell victim to flooding and respectfully I don't think you should be too concerned about flooding in Toowoomba. You shouldn't have any troubles what-so-ever with insurances in Toowoomba.

Jack

No, the part of Toowoomba that you saw on the TV where the people were killed was actually a city street in a gully that suffered flash flooding in a "heavy downpour" (understatement of the decade). The town seems to be folded into two sections with a valley running north-south down the centre and everything sloping out from there.

Most of the time Toowoomba has no water in its dam but now gets it pumped up fron the Gold Coast (whose dam has been overfull for years) and Brisbane.

I haven't lived there for a long time, I'm sure the current locals can give you more up-to-date details. Have you had a look at the council website and the Qld govt floodmaps?

FWIW I spoke personally with Terry on Gladstone earlier this year (Feb?). He told me he dropped it off his National Top 10 list for two main reasons. It's been on this report for more than a year but mainly he said its because it's common knowledge it's a boom town and people want 'new' hotspots.

He still thinks the area will enjoy a long sustained period of good times (rather than a sharp spike) over many years. I asked him about the potential for over supply and he said something to the effect of 'even if they had every builder in QLD up there there still wouldn't meet demand' (don't quote me on that, it was a long time ago!!). No idea if this holds true still today.

I've personally done well from Terry's reports and have found him to be a very genuine guy.

Please note I am biased as I have property in Gladstone (but I bought there because I believe in the above).

Hi David
And when you spoke to Terry in Feb what did he recommend as his new Hotspot
Dave

No, the part of Toowoomba that you saw on the TV where the people were killed was actually a city street in a gully that suffered flash flooding in a "heavy downpour" (understatement of the decade). The town seems to be folded into two sections with a valley running north-south down the centre and everything sloping out from there.

Most of the time Toowoomba has no water in its dam but now gets it pumped up fron the Gold Coast (whose dam has been overfull for years) and Brisbane.

I haven't lived there for a long time, I'm sure the current locals can give you more up-to-date details. Have you had a look at the council website and the Qld govt floodmaps?

The dams are now full, in fact they keep closing them due to water over the spillway. Just after the completion of the pipeline of course which I dont think has run except for test runs. We do now have red claw in Cressbrook which must have migrated up the pipe and are nice with garlic butter :p

I have previously replied about the flooding here:
http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68135&page=4

We live on top of a range escarpment so flooding is only as the water runs off very quickly which is unlikely except in the very extreme circumstances we saw. The water was down to reasonable levels a couple of hours after the scenes you saw on the news. That didnt help a couple of poor souls though.

Thanks 8fold, I stand pleasantly corrected. The plan was that the pipes could pump, it's great news that you dont need them ATM. Toowoomba is a beautiful city, I went to the Uni there once upon a time.

I am always a little skeptical of what Terry Ryder says. Some of his so-called hotspots haven't always worked out that way a little bit down the line. I mean, they haven't shown the growth that was initially forecast.

I am always a little skeptical of what Terry Ryder says. Some of his so-called hotspots haven't always worked out that way a little bit down the line. I mean, they haven't shown the growth that was initially forecast.

However, in fairness to Terry Ryder, he puts together some great information in easily accessible packages. But.....it's up to each and every one of us to carry out our own due diligence and certainly not his responsibility.

No one has a crystal ball.

Care to share your example?

It would be great to grab a 3 year old report and see how they performed.

Hardly anywhere in Qld has shown the growth predicted three years ago.

Crystal Ball

Agreed... Unfortunately if every prediction was 100% accurate they woudl be useless --- predictions themselves would drive prices up (self fulfilling prophecy).

However, in the present market I'm all for that. I predict proeprties everywhere will enjoy gowth of 41%. Tomorrow :)

Back