Terry Ryder's 5 top hot spots in regional Queensland

So would you think it's good to invest in Toowoomba. Margaret Lomas at her seminar in WA recently mentioned Toowoomba as a hotspot, since I've heard about Toowoomba before I become interested in the area.

My other areas of choice are Orange, Ballarat and Elizabeth.

Crouching Tiger Hidden Fish

I think Toowoomba is good value. And still possible to create instant equity (although not crazy dollars like in the past).

Local investors playing it safe, or sitting on their hands.. But I know several locals who are active & makign money int he current market.

Ballarat = agreed. has potential.

Orange = I think has flown. Good investment if you bought 3-5 years ago.

I do need one who has a growth potential. My other IPs are in Mildura and Wagga, they get very good rent compared to purchase price, but unsure about their growth

Even though Orange's hotspot days have flown, there are still some bargains if you keep your eye on the area once in a while.

I agree that Toowoomba is a good place to keep an eye on and research the proeprties there.

Signs of Life?

Toowoomba still chugging along - still quite happy with our IP... have delayed some reno work due to lack of cashflow - but otherwise looking good.

Was out in Chinchilla last weekend (Chinchilla melon Festival!)... developers spruiking H&L in the mid 400's. Too scary for me - but i'm sure someone might make money. The developers will for sure :)

Read this about Charters Towers a few days back... maybe... just maybe better times are in sight.

http://www.abc.net.au/rural/news/content/201302/s3691107.htm

I think Toowoomba is good value. And still possible to create instant equity (although not crazy dollars like in the past).

Local investors playing it safe, or sitting on their hands.. But I know several locals who are active & makign money int he current market.

Ballarat = agreed. has potential.

Orange = I think has flown. Good investment if you bought 3-5 years ago.

I have an ip in ballarat
And I would think it has the most potential out of most/all of Victorian towns, however, I don't see much potential for cg in the next 3 to 5'years

I see loads more potential in nsw and qld

Nothing driving most of Victoria, mining, economy, migration,

Just read in today's Courier Mail about Terry Ryder's 5 top picks in regional Queensland. They were, not in any order, :

Toowoomba
Dalby
Chinchilla
Charters Towers
Barcaldine

I've just signed a contract for a Chinchilla property so am happy to know that it is one of the hot spots. Interesting that 3 of these spots are in the Surat Basin area which many commentators (including Premier Anna Bligh) think will be one of the boom economies in Australia.

What do you think about Ryder's predictions? Haven't checked how his previous predictions have worked.

Nearly 5 years on from Ryder's predictions

Toowoomba 3.7%pa (3yrs) 3.7%pa (5yrs)
Dalby 2.0% (3yrs) 1.6% (5yrs)
Chinchilla 3.5 (3yrs) 5.4% (5yrs)
Charters Towers (Richmond Hil) -4.7% (3yrs) -1.7%(5yrs)
Barcaldine (nearest is Emerald) -3% (3yrs) 0 (5) -13% in past year.

I have wasted alot of time and money on his reports since 2008. I would say he would have about a 40% strike rate and 60% wrong

I worked out in about 2011-12 just how useless his predictions were. I got more info researching myself and reading this forum, since then i have alot more equity in those recent purchases than my 2008-2011 terry ryder purchases that have done nothing growth wise.

The systems works on an increased volume of sales, and if you look at the history it is typically areas that have been rezoned. For example if you look at an area like Moorooka in Brisbane that had a change in neighbourhood plan which allowed for rezoning to LMR, there was a rapid increase in property prices as a result of developers moving in, followed by a massive increase in volume, as what was one or two house lots was turned into 20 units.

I have wasted alot of time and money on his reports since 2008. I would say he would have about a 40% strike rate and 60% wrong

Pretty sure Toowoomba has gone up a lot more than what you have written here

One of mine has had almost 40% growth in under 2 years

You should never buy in regionals, the cg is terrible !

Last edited:

Be careful of generalisations mikezen.

I bought in Goulburn 2 years ago. In that time it has provided around 15%-20% cg in those 2 years and according to API mag the next 5-8 years will have an average cg of 7%-8% per year.

Regionals are fine if you research and select carefully.

Mystery ... ;)

Be careful of generalisations mikezen.

I bought in Goulburn 2 years ago. In that time it has provided around 15%-20% cg in those 2 years and according to API mag the next 5-8 years will have an average cg of 7%-8% per year.

Regionals are fine if you research and select carefully.

Mystery ... ;)

Yes your absolutely right, just irks me when every second person is knocking them

However not a day goes by when I don't wish I had bought 10 of them

I'll second that prices seem to have increased by more than 3.7%pa (3yrs). Maybe perspective is more dependent on your entry point into the market?

All about a balance portfolio.

You can't just stick with all CG or all RY....need a fine balance based on your current and future income/ lifestyle and family changes.

Every 1 CG property i buy ( Mainly Sydney) i would buy 3 RY in big regional towns for the RY to balance out the CG lost.

So as Michael X said...RY is cash flow and set as of today, should it have GC that's just a bonus....however you really do need to add at least 1-2 good CG property to your portfilio so that you have the ability to keep on growing financially ( Ie equity/ deposit).

It has not helped that mining has gone pear shaped during this period.

Never been keen on TR and his predictions, for that matter any of the property gurus, seriously I have not seen any of these guys pick the top 3, its been hit and miss.

It has not helped that mining has gone pear shaped during this period.

Never been keen on TR and his predictions, for that matter any of the property gurus, seriously I have not seen any of these guys pick the top 3, its been hit and miss.

For vic overt the last couple of years is been. Ballarat. Bendigo. Melton. Latrobe valley as hot spots

That's 0 out of 4! Yeah some expert

And to those that are going to say, well it might boom a bit later and then I'd have egg on my face. If an expert is good to predict a hot suburb. Id expecta 80% hitrate with the worst case scenario as average growth.

Sadly, the y don't come close

Terry Ryder has been spruiking bad investment area's for capital growth since 2011 he wrote another article last month spruiking Berwick and other area's again (he said the same about Berwick in 2011), and despite the population here booming (busier and worse now) capital growth has been a measly 2.44% here since 2010.

Now with people priced out of the city he's spruiking these outer suburbs again.. if he says it every 3yrs he's bound to hit the right time in the cycle at one point :rolleyes:

Back