Texture Finish Render

Hi All
Can anyone help please. What is the difference from normal rendering to "texture finish rendering" other than its far more expensive.

I am getting close to signing up with a builder and not sure about this one.

After some research a friend advised that as long as you use good quality paint and stick to light colours this will be effective and no need to spend the money on the texture finish rendering.

Considering I may be selling 2 villas, keeping one, it probably is wise to stick to cheaper option

Any experts out there???

Cheers

Hi Marisa,

I did some research on this last year for both my projects.

Ultimately the argument for texture coat is that you wont have to repaint every so many years like you do with regular render but i have found a mixed reaction about the product from people who had actually used it. In a lot of cases people, including tghose in the building industry, said they would never use it again as it is extremely difficult to patch in case of any problems down the track etc.

Also, apparently the 10 year or lifetime warranty offered by Dulux/Acratex has a whole lot of conditions attached as well (you may want to verify this independently).

In the end i went with the regular product and in your case with you only keeping 1 i would recommend you do the same. The buyers will not pay a dollar more for your other 2 if you have spent the extra on the acrylic product.

.... and that is a very good point, the buyer wont pay more for this, so what is the point.

This is another question, I do not want to over spec

Would you be happy with 20 mm Essa stone, or would it have to be 40 mm??

At the end of the day if I can save some money and still achieve same result why not keep the $ in my pocket. This could be the money for my trip to Europe this year;) Its a big deal

.... and that is a very good point, the buyer wont pay more for this, so what is the point.

This is another question, I do not want to over spec

Would you be happy with 20 mm Essa stone, or would it have to be 40 mm??

At the end of the day if I can save some money and still achieve same result why not keep the $ in my pocket. This could be the money for my trip to Europe this year;) Its a big deal

20mm is absolutely fine, you have to remember that while the market is paying more for higher finishes at the moment is it still hammy hill/spearwood. 40mm would be overkill imo.

What sort of price difference are we talking?

If you find more options during your costings for perth that will save money but not reduce value please let us know :D would be muchly appreciated for when i go down this road shortly.

Cheers

What sort of price difference are we talking?

If you find more options during your costings for perth that will save money but not reduce value please let us know :D would be muchly appreciated for when i go down this road shortly.

Cheers

Absolutely. I am waiting on final costings but I think we could be talking $6000+.

Another cost saving, if you were planning to use splashbacks in kitchen, don't bother, expensive I think could be $1200 per unit and I really think they are getting quite dated really, I have a very funky tile I will be looking at, apparently used on the TV program the Block and saw this in a home its quite amazing the look you will achieve, without spending the $.

Once I start building I will start a thread on cost saving stuff, obviously we all have different tastes, but just throw it out there anyway:)

Absolutely. I am waiting on final costings but I think we could be talking $6000+.

Another cost saving, if you were planning to use splashbacks in kitchen, don't bother, expensive I think could be $1200 per unit and I really think they are getting quite dated really, I have a very funky tile I will be looking at, apparently used on the TV program the Block and saw this in a home its quite amazing the look you will achieve, without spending the $.

Once I start building I will start a thread on cost saving stuff, obviously we all have different tastes, but just throw it out there anyway:)

Excellent thanks for that. All the little things and minor changes can really add up. So its good to know all the tips and tricks.

Just recieved da approval today so now time to look into a specification list and all costings for the build. Fun fun.

Cheers

Regarding splashbacks and render, here's my two-cents worth:-

1. Splashback
Probably best illustrated by a recent project example. Investor-type units were offered with two colour/finish options for the kitchens, and one of the options included the more expensive glass splashbacks, and the other was tiled splashbacks. The end result? 90% of buyers selected the glass option. Reasons cited included perceived use of maintenance (no grout scrubbing), streamlined and "expansive" appearance and generally more "classy-looking".

2. Render
Ultimately, you get what you pay for. We had a project which had thin "regular" render on, and 18mths on, it is already looking very tired. On the other hand, another project which had a 4mm thick good quality rough-troweled texture render is still looking handsome after 5 years. Of course, the quality of workmanship also plays a big part. It's a cost-benefit-longevity equation.

Regarding splashbacks and render, here's my two-cents worth:-

1. Splashback
Probably best illustrated by a recent project example. Investor-type units were offered with two colour/finish options for the kitchens, and one of the options included the more expensive glass splashbacks, and the other was tiled splashbacks. The end result? 90% of buyers selected the glass option. Reasons cited included perceived use of maintenance (no grout scrubbing), streamlined and "expansive" appearance and generally more "classy-looking".

2. Render
Ultimately, you get what you pay for. We had a project which had thin "regular" render on, and 18mths on, it is already looking very tired. On the other hand, another project which had a 4mm thick good quality rough-troweled texture render is still looking handsome after 5 years. Of course, the quality of workmanship also plays a big part. It's a cost-benefit-longevity equation.

Thanks for this.
It also comes down to where you are building, selling vs holding, getting it right, not to over spec is also important.

I think I am moving in the right direction, have a good builder who has great ideas on how to maximise returns.

Cheers
MTR

I'm doing standard sand render not the fancy Acratex stuff. I think it is fine for practically every spec except perhaps in coastal environments where you might want something better but I don't know how Acratex performs coastally anyway.

If you only render the front of the house and brick the rear then a new coat of paint in 10yrs is not going to break the bank and will give you a chance to update the colours anyway.

And yes 20mm stone is fine.

Back