Thankyou somersoft

When I first read the forum was closing, I began to experience disturbing emotions. I have spent a lot of time over the years exploring these with myself and others. In case you experience the same, Here is a summary of the likely culprits. If you feel any of these, don't worry you are just as normal as me. :D For what that is worth.

Denial
"No way, this can't be happening":confused:
Anger
"How dare they!":mad:
Bargaining
"What if I call them, offer to help fund the site...surely we can fix this somehow":eek:
Depression
"I joined this place in 2003 and I feel like I am getting a limb cut off. :(
Acceptance
"Oh well, I can't alter the outcome here, perhaps the new forum will be as good and all I can do is move forward anyway. At least I can reflect and be thankful for what it has been thus far. I really am lucky to have been able to participate in the first place, and no one really owes this place to me. Sigh"

Storytime:

When I was a child, my parents took us to a very special NSW South Coast beach location at Broulee every year for our main Christmas holiday. It was the highlight of our year, the origin of my deep love for the ocean and the source of many of my fondest memories. I caught my first wave, speared my first fish, spent many evenings connecting with our extended family who met from all over the country each year. All for nearly 15 years, it was special. After that, it ended, for lots of reasons, most outside of my control. I was sad. I still look back and remember. It was formative.

Relevance:

SS is like that for me. It has been formative. I joined in 2003 when I was in my early 20's and just starting out investing. Since then I have learned so much from many of you. I have had a chance to think out loud, learn, re evaluate, laugh, and essentially grow a (property) brain. Along with the many good books out there I credit this place as the major theoretical sounding board to my practical experience. It is better than a degree. It is life learning.

Mentions:

Thankyou to the Somers. I never met you but you have been generous to me.

Thankyou to Sim and the team of volunteers. Tireless. Focused. Determined. Excellent.

Thankyou to (in no particular order) Geoffw, See_Change, Dazz, Player, Depreciator, Propertunity, Andrew A, MichaelW, Rolf Latham, Alexlee, Lizzie, Ausprop, Terry_W, Rixter, Skater, Peter T, Perp, RumpledElf, Westminster, ScottNM, KeithJ, Jacque, Jamie M, PinkBoy, AlmostBob, Intrinsic Value, Rockstar, Ace, CoastyMike and Brenda Irwin.

Summary:

There are soooo many more but each of you has altered my mind. My psychology is better for the learning I have participated here. The only appropriate response I have in the face of so many emotions is overwhelmingly GRATITUDE.

Thanks again.

Hi mknight

Thank you for posting this. I was wondering if my response to the news was a bit odd / abnormal. I am grateful to the Somers, Sim and the moderators for this forum. I am still processing the fact that change is happening. Its like a friend has died. Yes you can make a new friend but it is always different. What this forum has contributed to my life in the short time I have been a part of it is invaluable.

Knightm, I think I know where you're coming from.

When I was growing up we used to hang out at the Macca's carpark on the corner of Popondetta and Jersey Rds.

Alot of bonding was done in those formative years with a burger meal deal and a beer. Then, all of a sudden the coppers came. They emptied our beers in front of us and told us to move on.

Sure, there was anger, resentment and the odd bottle thrown at a passing paddy wagon but life went on.

That's it, life goes on.

I am still processing the fact that change is happening. Its like a friend has died. Yes you can make a new friend but it is always different.

This is exactly how I feel. Although I have no doubt the new one will go on and be a great resource, the original, the best is here, and my emotions are running all over the place. :(

If there are 4000 SS members and just 50% donated say $100, then surely that would keep SS going for a while longer. I'd be willing to chip in.

Knightm, I think I know where you're coming from.

When I was growing up we used to hang out at the Macca's carpark on the corner of Popondetta and Jersey Rds.

Alot of bonding was done in those formative years with a burger meal deal and a beer. Then, all of a sudden the coppers came. They emptied our beers in front of us and told us to move on.

Sure, there was anger, resentment and the odd bottle thrown at a passing paddy wagon but life went on.

That's it, life goes on.

:D so after acceptance comes humour

Back