The 3 decade success story - Housing

Heya,

There's a fair bit of debate across SS on what?s going to happen to property prices. There seems to be a view that what?s transpired over the last 30 years may happen again. Fingers crossed!

Digging a little deeper though, thought it'd be worth getting people?s views (especially the long timers) as to what?s driven the 3 decade + success story?

There's been an incredible rise in house price over the previous three decades, especially when we compare Australia to the rest of the world. Housing has obviously been an incredible vehicle to create and store wealth for the large majority of Australians.

Breaking it down into periods, this is how I?ve seen some of the drivers play out.

30 year history: Financial Deregulation, Macroeconomic shifts, Strong growth

There has been a very large increase in the price to income ratio since 1980s (1.5 to 4.5-5?). This part I think was driven by structural changes to the economy and housing market.

1. Financial deregulation, allowing for greater leveraging and access to funding. As an economy, this allowed Australia to go from a ?low debt? economy to an ?average? debt economy. With much of this leverage invested into property, prices accelerated at an exponential rate for a 5 year+ period.

2. Macroeconomic shifts. Since 1993, we?ve shifted as an economy from ?a high inflation? to ?low inflation economy?. This was largely due to the ?anchoring? of inflation expectations by the RBA (inflation targeting).

In terms of its impact on property prices, when we?re a high inflation economy, we need a higher nominal interest rate (so the real interest rate is positive). This led to lower borrowing capacities and lower levels of mortgage debt. In the low inflation environment, we need lower nominal interest rate to have the same real economy effects, leading to higher borrowing power and mortgage values.

10 - 15 year history: Supply bottlenecks driving price growth

Once we had the ?shift? in house prices in the 1990s, we?ve still seen a run up in prices over the last 15 years. What drove values during this period?

I think it was less about financial market changes (previous 15 years).

A big part of the story here, particularly in Sydney, is the supply side. We?ve essentially been building the same number of houses (supply) for 15 years, while there has been ~30 per cent increase in population over the same time period.

Naturally, that puts continued upward pressure on house prices and drives up values.

Last 24 months: Cycle, cycle, cycle

The recent growth in house prices is probably less structural and more part of the debt cycle.

Low rates have fuelled an increase in property values across Australia?s two largest cities. There?s been a noticeable ramp up in investor credit growth (10 per cent p.a.).

Next 30 years - who knows?

Fingers crossed it?s as good as the preceding 30! :)

Another huge driver to housing prices has been the change to the two income family becoming the norm so that a more expensive house is affordable.

This shift is a one-off that won't be repeated.
Marg.

It was the late 1990's when the "big"price shift started,the previous 20 years with high interest rates sometimes above 18% when sometimes the rates went up 1% per time if that happened today the antidepressant medication sellers would make a killing,,people makes the same mistakes without even knowing it..

Heya,

There's a fair bit of debate across SS on what?s going to happen to property prices. There seems to be a view that what?s transpired over the last 30 years may happen again. Fingers crossed!

Digging a little deeper though, thought it'd be worth getting people?s views (especially the long timers) as to what?s driven the 3 decade + success story?

There's been an incredible rise in house price over the previous three decades, especially when we compare Australia to the rest of the world. Housing has obviously been an incredible vehicle to create and store wealth for the large majority of Australians.

Yep and to think Australia built it's first house just a couple hundred years ago and ever since then everyone around the world wants to come live here. Afterall it's a great place, free country, sunshine etc etc.

Breaking it down into periods, this is how I?ve seen some of the drivers play out.

30 year history: Financial Deregulation, Macroeconomic shifts, Strong growth

There has been a very large increase in the price to income ratio since 1980s (1.5 to 4.5-5?). This part I think was driven by structural changes to the economy and housing market.

1. Financial deregulation, allowing for greater leveraging and access to funding. As an economy, this allowed Australia to go from a ?low debt? economy to an ?average? debt economy. With much of this leverage invested into property, prices accelerated at an exponential rate for a 5 year+ period.

2. Macroeconomic shifts. Since 1993, we?ve shifted as an economy from ?a high inflation? to ?low inflation economy?. This was largely due to the ?anchoring? of inflation expectations by the RBA (inflation targeting).

In terms of its impact on property prices, when we?re a high inflation economy, we need a higher nominal interest rate (so the real interest rate is positive). This led to lower borrowing capacities and lower levels of mortgage debt. In the low inflation environment, we need lower nominal interest rate to have the same real economy effects, leading to higher borrowing power and mortgage values.

yep, all that too...but...

10 - 15 year history: Supply bottlenecks driving price growth

Once we had the ?shift? in house prices in the 1990s, we?ve still seen a run up in prices over the last 15 years. What drove values during this period?

I think it was less about financial market changes (previous 15 years).

A big part of the story here, particularly in Sydney, is the supply side. We?ve essentially been building the same number of houses (supply) for 15 years, while there has been ~30 per cent increase in population over the same time period.

Naturally, that puts continued upward pressure on house prices and drives up values.

Last 24 months: Cycle, cycle, cycle

Thata boy, now you're onto it !;)

The recent growth in house prices is probably less structural and more part of the debt cycle.

Low rates have fuelled an increase in property values across Australia?s two largest cities. There?s been a noticeable ramp up in investor credit growth (10 per cent p.a.).

Next 30 years - who knows?

Fingers crossed it?s as good as the preceding 30! :)

It will all come down to supply and demand.
We know the demand is there but will the supply keep up?

There is plenty of room here. Just sayin.:)

What we Aussies can afford or not afford makes for fodder, this country is sought after by all. Just keep the buggers from taking us over.

It was the late 1990's when the "big"price shift started,the previous 20 years with high interest rates sometimes above 18% when sometimes the rates went up 1% per time if that happened today the antidepressant medication sellers would make a killing,,people makes the same mistakes without even knowing it..

While we were building our first house in 1974 we had an interest rate rise of 2% in one hit. Start of build 6.25%, end of build 8.25%.
Marg.

My view is that Aus land will be under pressure from demand for a long long time.

Thinking of a 3 decade success story is being a little tentative.

More like the next 100years alongside Chindia just for starters.

We're in the box seat, hence try and keep 'em out is nigh on impossible.

My view is that Aus land will be under pressure from demand for a long long time.

Thinking of a 3 decade success story is being a little tentative.

More like the next 100years alongside Chindia just for starters.

I like this view! So its about whether supply can keep pace with demand. A century long success story is much better than a 3 decade one!

While we were building our first house in 1974 we had an interest rate rise of 2% in one hit. Start of build 6.25%, end of build 8.25%.
Marg.

The problem was back then the bank managers held all the cards,so many times I would go in to ask for money to buy another property and depending on what clothes you wore and business statements I had they would just tell me come back in six months,most times they just treated me like a doormat,unlike today I reckon if my dogs had abn numbers they would get a 500k loan..

We're in the box seat, hence try and keep 'em out is nigh on impossible.

And before a certain poster comes on and accuses me of only caring for myself, I mean this in a good way.

Work with who ever wants to come here, so long as they appreciate and adore this country, why not?

Let it run.

It's OK Fence, I won't demolish your views lol

Anyway, it's not just the last 30 years but way beyond that. Boom Bust Boom Bust Boom Bust....sounds like a locomotive....toot toot...jump onboard the money making express...just be careful if you're one of the last one on at the end of the trip! Enjoy the ride.

The problem was back then the bank managers held all the cards,so many times I would go in to ask for money to buy another property and depending on what clothes you wore and business statements I had they would just tell me come back in six months,most times they just treated me like a doormat,unlike today I reckon if my dogs had abn numbers they would get a 500k loan..
I'm not finding credit that easy right now. During a refinance I just tried to get my LVR up to 74% but I was told no. NVM

In terms of the original question, I am pretty much betting my entire future on property. I doubt we will see the kind of growth we have seen in the last 30 years. For my investment to work, I am banking on modest growth rather than "booms".

Perthguy, they won't go to 74%?

Threaten to go to a new lender. When you got 'em by the short and curlys their hearts and minds soon follow.

We are indeed blessed to be part of the "Lucky Generation" and amazingly most of us don't even know it. We are the generation of investors in the property and sharemarkets who have ridden a 33-year credit boom, an engorgement of debt, an access to money previously unseen that created a golden wave of investment returns between about 1974 and 2007.

It all started in the early '70s when my dad bought a house in Henley-on-Thames for 35,000 pounds and a year later someone leant over the fence and offered him 45,000 pounds. He couldn't believe it. In those days people didn't buy houses to make money, they bought them to live in and they didn't go up in price.

On top of that, when dad bought the house it was new. Mum couldn't understand why someone would want to pay more now that it was second-hand. That's how people thought in those days. They thought he was a crook. They turned him down.

The debt boom caught up with me in the early '80s. I had recently started in stockbroking. I was renting a house in Brixton, it was so plush that Jamie and I serviced our motorbikes in the living room and I owned a 10th-hand Ford Cortina that had a gear stick that came off, a useful anti-theft device in those days. I was happy.

In 1984 I moved brokers to UBS Phillips & Drew. That's when it all began. They offered me a lease car and a mortgage at three times my current salary at a subsidised mortgage rate. Within a month I had moved from Brixton to Putney and was driving a brand new Ford XR3i, a black one with fat racing tyres and go-faster stripe. It is still the best car I have ever owned.

Without planning on it, I was suddenly in the rat race of debt and asset price appreciation. The debt didn't matter, the house went up in price, the sharemarket was going nuts, I was making an '80s stockbroker's salary. It was good and there were no regrets. Anyone who didn't join in got left behind

Too late, theyre already here.

We've been coming here for over 200 years since the convicts first landed.

Perthguy, they won't go to 74%?

Threaten to go to a new lender. When you got 'em by the short and curlys their hearts and minds soon follow.
It's a refinance and what I am doing is well outside the norm of what a lender would usually allow. I guess that's why I could not push them to 74%. I'm actually quite suprised that my mortgage broker managed to swing the deal I ended up with. It is very close to what I wanted.

Good stuff PG. Near enough can be good enough. It's good to get a broker...saves you doing the run around.

Having said that, I havent used a broker yet. I like doing the wheeling n dealing. When you're holding the aces the other party must bend or bust!

Just before the GFC I refinanced at 95% LVR variable. Apart from LMI and some govt costs I paid zilch and got a swag of loot via cash out. Come GFC rates dropped to below 5% :D Easy money. I just called the shots and the bank yielded. I know that a good broker can do the same but I like doing the grease work.

From Domain (where they talk about the last 50 years of price appreciation)

1973, median house prices across Australia?s capital cities looked something like this:

Sydney ? $27,400
Melbourne ? $19,800
Brisbane ? $17,500
Adelaide ? $16,250
Perth ? $18,850
Canberra ? $26,850
Hobart ? $15,200
Darwin ? $87,500 (information unavailable until 1986; this value reflects 1986 housing costs)

September 2014 numbers from Domain Group?s House Price Report:

Sydney ? $843,994
Melbourne ? $615,068
Brisbane ? $473,924
Adelaide ? $459,258
Perth ? $604,822
Canberra ? $573,326
Hobart ? $322,274
Darwin ? $667,115

back in 1973, the average weekly wage was $111.80 (including full- and part-time workers), according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS). Today, a full-time worker makes on average $1453.90 weekly (before tax). However, in the house price report, Dr Andrew Wilson, senior economist for the Domain Group, predicts that housing-market activity will continue to decline as affordable housing falls, joblessness increases and consumer confidence wavers.

link

Back