The 70's has a lot to answer for.....

Have spent the last three days taking away any presence of 70's style reno's. Floral wallaper and wood panelling. How was this ever in fashion? :eek:

Now to paint the 80's timber kitchen :)

Have spent the last three days taking away any presence of 70's style reno's. Floral wallaper and wood panelling. How was this ever in fashion? :eek:

Now to paint the 80's timber kitchen :)

Nice. My mate had some trouble selling his cbd cottage. most aspects it was beautiful. But it had a timber kitchen,timber walls,timber roof,timber hallways etc etc. It was a little creepy actually.

Nice. My mate had some trouble selling his cbd cottage. most aspects it was beautiful. But it had a timber kitchen,timber walls,timber roof,timber hallways etc etc. It was a little creepy actually.

Are you sure it was a cottage? Sounds like a sauna.

My thoughts exactly. The only thing that seperated it from a sauna was the 5 or so clear coats that gave it a super dooper shine.:eek:

We have one vacant at the moment that is worse. Most of it is staying at the moment, as we just need it tenanted. Will update bit by bit. We also had nice shag pile carpet too.:eek:

Isn't fashion wonderful.

Just think in 40 years they'll be saying how incredibly boring all those houses with beige walls and beige carpet and mock granite were. How could people imagine living in a house with two bathrooms. lol

Like that phase when everyone was ripping out perfectly good plaster to expose the bricks below - never mind it's a rough put up job by the bricklayer who knew it was going to be covered - until the 80's renovaters got at it that is.

A friend ripped out wall panelling and found pressed iron wall panels under it from the previous owner thinking they were too old fashioned.

Those patterns do look a bit ugly but I love the fashion from the 70's in general. Some of the retro wall paper you see from back then was quite funny when you look at it now. In the 70's as small child I can remember skateboarding with roller skates attached to a plank of wood, bell bottom jeans, Saturday nIght Fever and the first space invader games :p

This afternoon, I've been getting painting quotes, and part of the job includes taking down wallpaper, including one room where the ceiling is wallpapered in lovely brown 70's interconnecting ovals. The walls are brick. I'll be a bit sorry to see it go, to be honest... its such a classic. I'll try to get a photo, so you can see how good you've got it in your place!
Pen

We have one vacant at the moment that is worse. Most of it is staying at the moment, as we just need it tenanted. Will update bit by bit. We also had nice shag pile carpet too.:eek:

Ha! When we bought our PPOR back in the 80's, it had shag pile under the dining table!! u could have fed a hungry traveller from the mess left on the carpet after our kids had eaten....
Memo to self: Never have carpet in any dining room, ever!
JB

I always liked this photo, of Child Elder back when she was a wee thing that talked all the time (now she's a big thing that talks all the time). The photo is taken in the kitchen, and you have to imagine all the built-in cupboards painted livid sunshine yellow.

scareywallpaper.jpg

ah - the 70's. as kids, in our 3-to-a-room bedroom we had green carpet floor tiles, carnary yellow drawers and brown louvred cupboard doors. none of it out choice but it was the fashion. the moved out of home and carpeted in grey and painted the walls pink.

few moves and colours in between (including one house in cream, hertiage green and red which i am currently trying to erradicate off the current house) and are painting the timberwork white and the walls in cool beige.

Your should see our place, it's a 1950's home that was renovated in the 70's. It has lime green bench tops with wood grain cupboards, the bathroom is a mix of brown shower glass and other colours that don't match....and don't get me started on the ugly wallpaper!

I wasn't even alive in the 70s! :eek:

Biggest hate in our house is the kitchen, it's yellow, very yellow, and the bathroom tiles are a disgusting green, although it's no where near as bad as the photo's you have going!

You people haven't seen anything. Mr Natmarie's PPOR reno wasa QLDer last renovated in the 70's by a German man who was homesick for the old country and went for the Octoberfest beerhall look. Fake timber beams, styrofoam ceiling tiles, green shag pile, dark wood panelling, fake brick feature walls and giant copper fireplace complete with fake fire.

Love the way that fake stone ala the Brady Bunch house has come back into fashion though :eek:

Your should see our place, it's a 1950's home that was renovated in the 70's. It has lime green bench tops with wood grain cupboards, the bathroom is a mix of brown shower glass and other colours that don't match....and don't get me started on the ugly wallpaper!
Barring the brown shower glass, you just described my parent's house :) They have a lot of brown tiles in the bathroom though, and navy blue tapware.

They have a feature wall of very bright sunflower wallpaper in that lime-green-benched kitchen. Thing is, I think they renovated the kitchen that way in the late 80s ...

The "modern retro" look is everywhere again!!!! Brown walls, funky (but in a modern upstyle way) wallpaper, fluro coloured appliances etc. can all be seen!!! It's hip, it's cool, it's cas(ual)....

I can see me now, the year is 2030, I am about to renovate an old CBD cottage. Those bloody Gen Ys, everything is made out of plastic, is bloody shinny and all this alfresco living just does not work when temperatures outside are hitting the 40s regularly. What were they thinking when making "open plan" areas, it seems all I do now is put up walls, to create intimate living areas. The size of land around here is huge!!! 300m2!!! Why did the bloody council allow this?? Everyone lives in units or townhouses.

Back