The Art of Gen X/Y

Anyone who values properties based on what the agent advertises it for deserve to be disillusioned because they are stupid.

Liked the comment from the women bidding at auction for a house she didn't even want to live in... Guess at least she wouldn't of been an emotional buyer then :rolleyes:

''There is the tooth fairy, there is the Easter bunny and there is the Sydney property bubble.'' There is also independent analysis from companies like APM and the good "doctor" Wilson :rolleyes:

Anyone who pays a million bucks for a dogbox because its close to the city needs to be hit in the face with a chair in the first place.

Even property spruiker terry Ryder agrees that the old tired close to the CBD theory is a furphy in his latest article in property observer. " The old furphy that suburbs closest to the CBD or the beach are the best investments is still repeated by commentators who don't like to clutter up their schedules with inconveniences like research."

Anyone who pays a million bucks for a dogbox because its close to the city needs to be hit in the face with a chair in the first place.

Even property spruiker terry Ryder agrees that the old tired close to the CBD theory is a furphy in his latest article in property observer. " The old furphy that suburbs closest to the CBD or the beach are the best investments is still repeated by commentators who don't like to clutter up their schedules with inconveniences like research."
Just track AMP share price over the past ten years and that will give you a real quick independent analysis ,,you know why they pay 1 mill plus for any thing with in the 5 klm inner city ring because in Brisbane with the only way is multi development on large blocks,it's never stopped in 30 years just look up West End in Brisbane New Farm..

Blows my mind to see what people get for their $ in Sydney... this is the property that went for a touch over $1m:

https://domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/House/NSW/Enmore/?adid=2010476662

They would get much better value (less money, bigger house, closer to the city) in Adelaide...

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-goodwood-113763995
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-millswood-113847599

I know it's Adelaide (eww), but still :D

Hmmmmm yes but do you get your $500k investment banking job in Adelaide? I don't think so.

Not sure how you even compare Adelaide with a city that is consistently ranked in the top 10 global cities in the world (after the likes of NYC/Tokyo/London/Hong Kong and on par with Singapore/Shanghai/Seoul/LA/Paris)...

Most people who live in any respectable city around the world (read: actual city, not sprawly metropolitan area) live in "dog boxes". The main people I've seen who seem to be so anti-apartment are those who have a chip on their shoulder because they live in a big house in the middle of nowhere and have to spend half their life commuting.

Not sure how you even compare Adelaide with a city that is consistently ranked in the top 10 global cities in the world (after the likes of NYC/Tokyo/London/Hong Kong and on par with Singapore/Shanghai/Seoul/LA/Paris)...

Sydney is in the same category as Paris? :eek:

Well Sydney is usually a few rankings below it but still in the top 10. You either group Paris with the top 4, or you group it with the bottom 5. I don't think Paris is in the leagues of NYC/London/HK/Tokyo so naturally put it with the bottom 5.

If you were to break it up, Sydney would be near the bottom of that list and Paris would be just after the top 4 usually. On some occassions you'd see the likes ofMoscow or Frankfurt squeeze in ahead.

Point is, Sydney would be on a list alongside such cities. So can't compare with Adelaide.

Can I just clarify what exactly this "list" is? Are we talking about one of the hundreds of "the most liveable cities in the world" lists or something else?

Various lists done by study groups on global cities indices. Usually compiled by different organistions in different countries, but the theme is consistent.

The EIU "most liveable cities" list would have Adelaide near the top actually.

Personally, I don't place much weight on those lists at all. How can you look at what city is "most liveable" but then not use the cost of living, for example, as one of the factors measured? Surely that is of utmost importance when considering quality of life.

If you look at the EIU cost of living index, Sydney and Melbourne are both in the top 5 but at the same time, Melbourne is also the most liveable city in the world for 2013. That makes no sense at all.

They look at "quality of the road network" but not average commute times? "Good quality housing" but not house prices or the general quality of neighbourhoods (availability of amenities, mixed use nature, etc)? "Quality" public transport but not accessibility, efficiency or density of services? They're just good fodder for news outlets to run on slow news days. Not much more than that really.

Last edited:
When the market is weak as they have been in 2011 and 2012 in Sydney, people stay away because prices are low and may fall further. :eek:

When prices jump and boom as they do now, people try to get in to the market because they're worried about missing the bandwagon.

http://smh.domain.com.au/real-estat...-winter-to-await-the-fall-20130706-2pils.html

If I was the client of these two youngins, that's what I'd be thinking any way. Not good for their jobs certainly.
Well there's a lot to be said about this article, however I would point out that the young couple's definition of an 'above market' price is different to what the actual market is saying :)

Back